Building an FT Tutor from SBK advice

Thank you to everyone who replied to my previous post about my rough start. You guys kept me from giving up on foam builds. I recently received my FT Tutor SBK. I haven’t had a chance to start the build yet, so before I get to it…probably tonight after work… I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice, tips, or tricks while building the FT Tutor on power pack B on 3 channels. My plan so far is to build the fuselage tonight and the wing tomorrow. Local weather isn’t gonna let me maiden it anytime soon, so I am in no rush. Any tips or advice you guys can give a total noob who has crashed a Spitfire and a Scout would be very appreciated.

ColoFlyer

First, take your time and don't rush through the build process. Building these planes is half the fun of this hobby. And if you crash it, go buy some foamboard and download some plans from Flitetest and cut out another plane then re-repurpose the parts, and start again.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/sp0nz-plans-index.17136/

You mentioned in your other thread that you have an Aura5. Watch the Bench, and Field setup Videos on Youtube, then fly it in 6 axis mode, it will make all the difference. Make sure it is set up correctly and the operation is as expected before you fly. Also, the Aura 5 has a auto launch mode which might help you.
Since this is a larger plane, I personally would make it a 4 channel plane with Rudder, Elevator and Ailerons, but that is just me. Then add adjustable Rates to reduce the throws, and make Expo to like 30. Flighttest has videos on how to do this.

First, take your time and don't rush through the build process. Building these planes is half the fun of this hobby. And if you crash it, go buy some foamboard and download some plans from Flitetest and cut out another plane then re-repurpose the parts, and start again.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/sp0nz-plans-index.17136/

You mentioned in your other thread that you have an Aura5. Watch the Bench, and Field setup Videos on Youtube, then fly it in 6 axis mode, it will make all the difference. Make sure it is set up correctly and the operation is as expected before you fly. Also, the Aura 5 has a auto launch mode which might help you.
Since this is a larger plane, I personally would make it a 4 channel plane with Rudder, Elevator and Ailerons, but that is just me. Then add adjustable Rates to reduce the throws, and make Expo to like 30. Flighttest has videos on how to do this.

I was thinking about installing the aileron servos but not cutting them out at first. That way if I can get it in the air I can cut them later as I grow as a pilot. I want 4 channel honestly, but after crashing two previous builds, I want to keep everything as simple as I can and start at square one.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I was thinking about installing the aileron servos but not cutting them out at first. That way if I can get it in the air I can cut them later as I grow as a pilot. I want 4 channel honestly, but after crashing two previous builds, I want to keep everything as simple as I can and start at square one.
actually my first plane that I kept in the air for more then 30 seconds was four channel. all the others had been 3 but as soon as I tried it I loved it.

bisco

Elite member
when you first try ailerons, dial the rate way back and use a lot of expo.

tutor should be a very forgiving plane and i doubt it needs a gyro, unless you are an absolute beginner.

but when i was starting out, i bought an rtf 3 channel made of epp and with 3 level gyro. crashes never hurt it, and that made it very easy to learn.
but they are about a hundred bucks, and the tx is useless for anything else.

ColoFlyer

If you decide that you are going to install the Aura5 in this plane, i believe it will work much better with having ailerons. The Aura5 will work as a 3 channel receiver, but in my experience having Ailerons gives the Aura5 better control.

If you decide that you are going to install the Aura5 in this plane, i believe it will work much better with having ailerons. The Aura5 will work as a 3 channel receiver, but in my experience having Ailerons gives the Aura5 better control.

This makes a lot of sense

Got the fuselage done tonight. Took my time and followed the build videos pretty well until I glued the bottom front piece on backwards. In a panic, instead of cutting it anyway... I removed it and scratch built one with some foam board my wife had left over from a dungeons and dragons project... I was very down when I realized what I had done at first, but I'm hind sight, it's the first time I've made a scratch build replacement part...and I kinda enjoyed the challenge

M

MCNC

Trace your parts onto poster board as you punch them out so you can make copies if needed. Agree with others, take your time, don't rush it. Making replacement parts as you did is very common as mistakes in the wee hours become more frequent. Have more board on hand so you don't stay down long...

Aslansmonkey

For my daughters version we installed the aileron servos, but we wired them up to the rudder channel on her radio and still set her up to fly 3 channel. We use the "rudder" channel with the ailerons on it to trim the airplane for level flight as needed. Once she's used to flying it will be a simple matter of swapping two radio leads to get her to true 4 channel.

Of course, if you're putting the Aura 5 in, that's not the way to go, but you won't really need to either.

The biggest thing with ailerons, in my opinion, is learning to finesse them as they provide a lot of roll authority and you can get in trouble quick if you're not used to them. When I was learning on them I originally set them up with limited movement (like half what they could do) and a lot of expo so they didn't move fast. That gave me the time I needed to react though it prevented aileron rolls, which I wasn't up to at first anyway. As you get more confident you can increase that movement limit and reduce the expo pretty easily on your radio. I still use a lot of expo, personally, because I like the "lazy flying with little movements" idea. But I generally set the limits as far as they can go these days. Unless it's on a mini. It's still easy to get in trouble quick on some minis.

actually my first plane that I kept in the air for more then 30 seconds was four channel. all the others had been 3 but as soon as I tried it I loved it.
There seems to be quite a debate among us about 3ch vs 4ch. For me personally I can't see what all the debate is about. My opinion. The only natural thing is to roll to turn. That's what birds do and that's what "real" full size planes do. And if you have a child stretch out his arms to zoom zoom around the room, he'll naturally bank his turns. To just turn with a rudder is for boats, which basically operate on a flat 2D plane. This is not a boat, this is 3D, and banking to turn is the way to turn. (My wholehearted opinion.) Every one of my planes is set up as 4ch. The only downside is if you learn on ailerons you'll be slow to learn to use rudder.
Using only rudder to turn fights what the plane wants to do. Banking the plane is the natural and intuitive way.
Some planes will show some adverse yaw, and we correct this with rudder. For any normal flight that's the only use I have for rudder.

Aslansmonkey

There seems to be quite a debate among us about 3ch vs 4ch. For me personally I can't see what all the debate is about. My opinion. The only natural thing is to roll to turn. That's what birds do and that's what "real" full size planes do. And if you have a child stretch out his arms to zoom zoom around the room, he'll naturally bank his turns. To just turn with a rudder is for boats, which basically operate on a flat 2D plane. This is not a boat, this is 3D, and banking to turn is the way to turn. (My wholehearted opinion.) Every one of my planes is set up as 4ch. The only downside is if you learn on ailerons you'll be slow to learn to use rudder.
Using only rudder to turn fights what the plane wants to do. Banking the plane is the natural and intuitive way.
Some planes will show some adverse yaw, and we correct this with rudder. For any normal flight that's the only use I have for rudder.

I've heard it both ways. I learned 3 channel, but moved to Ailerons within a month or two of starting and basically haven't looked back. For sure, it's the way to really fly. I probably could have learned just fine to fly 4 channel from the start if I knew enough then to dial the controls back a bit (something I learned the hard way switching to Ailerons). I think the real advantage starting 3 channel gives you is that most planes fly VERY tame that way (because there is NOT a lot of turn authority) and that gives new pilots a chance to learn the changes in control directions when the plane is coming towards you vs away from you. Flying a tamer plane in general gives you more time to react as you learn not to jerk the controls in a panic. All that said, flying 4 channels IS where you will end up and CAN be where you start, if you set the plane up tame to begin with.

I moved from a 3 channel simple cub to a 4 channel simple scout. I crashed that scout a lot, but I never wanted to go back to 3 channels after trying it either. And in my head, a 5 year old child was going "vroom vroom" every time I banked for a turn.

I've heard it both ways. I learned 3 channel, but moved to Ailerons within a month or two of starting and basically haven't looked back. For sure, it's the way to really fly. I probably could have learned just fine to fly 4 channel from the start if I knew enough then to dial the controls back a bit (something I learned the hard way switching to Ailerons). I think the real advantage starting 3 channel gives you is that most planes fly VERY tame that way (because there is NOT a lot of turn authority) and that gives new pilots a chance to learn the changes in control directions when the plane is coming towards you vs away from you. Flying a tamer plane in general gives you more time to react as you learn not to jerk the controls in a panic. All that said, flying 4 channels IS where you will end up and CAN be where you start, if you set the plane up tame to begin with.

I moved from a 3 channel simple cub to a 4 channel simple scout. I crashed that scout a lot, but I never wanted to go back to 3 channels after trying it either. And in my head, a 5 year old child was going "vroom vroom" every time I banked for a turn.
Well said! I can't argue with that one bit. (y)

And I think turning by rudder alone will only work with a plane that's very stable and self-correcting to begin with, like high wing, plenty of dihedral, so the plane does half the job for you. But I would feel crippled under such conditions. And I think there's no way that would work with a low straight wing, not being able to control roll.

Another thing is that I get the impression people set up their transmitter sticks two different ways depending on how many channels they're flying with. For heaven's sake, why would you do that?

bisco

Elite member
i started with a 3 channel rtf. rudder was on the right stick with elevator, so you get used to steering with the right stick
then when i went to 4 channel, rudder is on the left, ailerons on the right.
the brain is thinking steer with 'rudder, steer with right stick'. it all gets very confusing. i still have trouble ground steering on takeoffs with the left stick, then using the right to turn in the air, counteracted by the left as needed.

Aslansmonkey

i started with a 3 channel rtf. rudder was on the right stick with elevator, so you get used to steering with the right stick
then when i went to 4 channel, rudder is on the left, ailerons on the right.
the brain is thinking steer with 'rudder, steer with right stick'. it all gets very confusing. i still have trouble ground steering on takeoffs with the left stick, then using the right to turn in the air, counteracted by the left as needed.

Yep, the right stick is "Elevator" and "Primary turning control", not "Rudder" or "Ailerons". When 3 channel, that is the rudder, when 4 channel, it's the ailerons, but you need to think of it as the "Turning control".

Left stick is for "Throttle" and "rudder" (when you have one). We only put my daughters Ailerons on the left for now because we intend her NOT to use that control but we wanted to have it there for trimming purposes. She'll get switched to proper Mode 2 controls when she learns to fly better.

Yep, the right stick is "Elevator" and "Primary turning control", not "Rudder" or "Ailerons". When 3 channel, that is the rudder, when 4 channel, it's the ailerons, but you need to think of it as the "Turning control".

Left stick is for "Throttle" and "rudder" (when you have one). We only put my daughters Ailerons on the left for now because we intend her NOT to use that control but we wanted to have it there for trimming purposes. She'll get switched to proper Mode 2 controls when she learns to fly better.
Wow. I've never flown 3ch and that's a new idea for me. The more I think about it the more I like the idea. :unsure: Sounds like it can ease the transition to 4ch.

I honestly am starting to learn towards just building it four channel. But I'm still on the fence about the aura mostly. I got the fuselage built last night and it looks and feels good, but I'm not 100% sure where I would mount the board. I haven't gotten the wings on to see where my battery will go for CG to see if I have room in the power pod

rockyflyer

Thank you to everyone who replied to my previous post about my rough start. You guys kept me from giving up on foam builds. I recently received my FT Tutor SBK. I haven’t had a chance to start the build yet, so before I get to it…probably tonight after work… I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice, tips, or tricks while building the FT Tutor on power pack B on 3 channels. My plan so far is to build the fuselage tonight and the wing tomorrow. Local weather isn’t gonna let me maiden it anytime soon, so I am in no rush. Any tips or advice you guys can give a total noob who has crashed a Spitfire and a Scout would be very appreciated.

I would recommend using 4 channels and setting up the ailerons. The Tutor performs better as a 4-channel aircraft. I have flown it both ways.