Building an FT Tutor from SBK advice

The aura does say set the rates to 120 to 135. I assume that's in case it has to "over correct" a mishap. I'm thinking about trying to get 12° to start and hopefully keep it airborne with small corrections and no aura for now. I might put it in later if I'm still having control issues
Yeah I don't know what that's about but it sounds just like when mixing two motors for differential steering. Apparently they use similar numbers like 135% for some setups. I know that doesn't help your setup at all but I find it interesting, the similarity. :unsure:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Does anyone know if the throw gauge from my simple scout kit would be usable to get the proper throws on the tutor?
The simple scout plans say throws at 12 degrees but I measured my gauge and the low throws are 16 degrees. You'll probably be okay at 16 but up your expo to 35 or 40. IMHO

So since I put the offset in the aileron servos as suggested in the build video, when I measure the deflection, should I measure it in the top surface or bottom surface?

Battery800

Elite member
Thank you to everyone who replied to my previous post about my rough start. You guys kept me from giving up on foam builds. I recently received my FT Tutor SBK. I haven’t had a chance to start the build yet, so before I get to it…probably tonight after work… I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice, tips, or tricks while building the FT Tutor on power pack B on 3 channels. My plan so far is to build the fuselage tonight and the wing tomorrow. Local weather isn’t gonna let me maiden it anytime soon, so I am in no rush. Any tips or advice you guys can give a total noob who has crashed a Spitfire and a Scout would be very appreciated.
I was thinking about installing the aileron servos but not cutting them out at first. That way if I can get it in the air I can cut them later as I grow as a pilot. I want 4 channel honestly, but after crashing two previous builds, I want to keep everything as simple as I can and start at square one.
you could always install the ailerons but just not plug them in or program then

Sorry for the long response time, but work has had me insanely busy. Just wanted to give everyone and update. I took the Tutor to the local RC field Sunday, but the wind wasn't playing nice. So I decided I'd at least like to take one build home in one piece even if it hadn't flown yet, and decided against risking a maiden. I'm going back out with it this Sunday and hopefully the wind will cooperate. I met several new people Sunday though who were super encouraging. I was even gifted some foamies kits and an older spektrum radio. Overall I'd say it was a good day, and hopefully I can get this project in the air and come back with a great flight report soon.

Finally had a chance to take the tutor out for it's maiden today. We had a major storm blow through today and after it cleared out there was zero wind so I figured now was the time. Took it out to a local rec area and did a surface check and everything was good to go.

Taxi was a little iffy because my wheels weren't straight, but I got it up in the air and immediately had to correct with some right roll, but she straightened out and flew today! Had her up there for a couple of minutes and decided to bring her down for a landing, which nosed over, but didn't do any damage. Second flight up went pretty much the same way. Sadly since I'm still a rookie, I managed to clip a tree pretty hard. Luckily nothing broke except the prop and very minor damage to the fuselage and everything came down. I took it home after what I consider a successful day.

Thanks to everyone who helped along the way. Never would have flown without you guys helping me! So thank you all again!

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I don't want to high jack the thread. But I do have a question about the Tutor that I built. I have also put an Aura 5 board in the plane. I followed what Josh said about the servos and control horns. I have also put 125% in the transmitter for the throws. Josh had an earlier video about the Aura board and this is where the 125% came from. Here is my question. I have only about 10 degrees of throw. This seems low. What do you guys think ?

Hi Everyone,

I don't want to high jack the thread. But I do have a question about the Tutor that I built. I have also put an Aura 5 board in the plane. I followed what Josh said about the servos and control horns. I have also put 125% in the transmitter for the throws. Josh had an earlier video about the Aura board and this is where the 125% came from. Here is my question. I have only about 10 degrees of throw. This seems low. What do you guys think ?

Keeping in mind that I'm a greenhorn, I'd like to help. What holes in the horn and servo arm are you using?

Bingo. The word of the day is "leverage". :)
Before these modern computerized radios, that was the normal way to control max throw.

I was going to suggest possibly moving the control arm out a hole on the servo horn and then dial back from 125% until you get the desired deflection, but again, I'm still new and don't know if that will negatively affect the Aura

I was going to suggest possibly moving the control arm out a hole on the servo horn and then dial back from 125% until you get the desired deflection, but again, I'm still new and don't know if that will negatively affect the Aura
I don't know what the 125% is about, but I know it's a real thing. It sounds just like the 135% figures I've heard about mixing two motors for differential thrust. I'm content to just follow directions on that one until I learn more.

I'd love to draw a diagram for this but it takes a few minutes to do that:
A short arm at the servo moves the control rod only a little bit. A long arm at the control surface does the same thing. So short-to-long gives you minimal throw.
Same reversed. long-to-short gives more throw than you can handle.
If you want more throw, make sure you're on the outer hole at the servo, or tighten up on the control horn.

I tend to make the mistake of not reducing my throws until after I try to maiden and realize I need to reduce my throws. :LOL:

I'm new too. ;)

But these days, with today's radios, as long as you're set up with enough throw to have some leeway, it's fine to make any further adjustments at the radio itself.

bisco

Elite member
you have to be careful between the tx and the aura board. most adjustments are supposed to be made at the board. that's why josy sys to set the tx throws to 125%.

adjustments to the tx can confuse the board and cause gyro problems

bisco

Elite member
Hi Everyone,

doesn't the plan come with a throw gauge?

you have to be careful between the tx and the aura board. most adjustments are supposed to be made at the board. that's why josy sys to set the tx throws to 125%.

adjustments to the tx can confuse the board and cause gyro problems
Can you explain what the 125% refers to? I'd love to know.
And so to adjust throws on the fly at the tx (if I get myself into this situation) should I NOT do it the normal way on my Spektrum? Is there a sort of "Aura" screen to handle servo adjustments?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Finally had a chance to take the tutor out for it's maiden today. We had a major storm blow through today and after it cleared out there was zero wind so I figured now was the time. Took it out to a local rec area and did a surface check and everything was good to go.

Taxi was a little iffy because my wheels weren't straight, but I got it up in the air and immediately had to correct with some right roll, but she straightened out and flew today! Had her up there for a couple of minutes and decided to bring her down for a landing, which nosed over, but didn't do any damage. Second flight up went pretty much the same way. Sadly since I'm still a rookie, I managed to clip a tree pretty hard. Luckily nothing broke except the prop and very minor damage to the fuselage and everything came down. I took it home after what I consider a successful day.

Thanks to everyone who helped along the way. Never would have flown without you guys helping me! So thank you all again!
Congrats on the successful flights!! Gotta watch them trees.