Building my first plane

Laziegoblin

Hi

I've been slowly building my first plane based on some FT plans. (Goblin)
However, I have an ESC without a 5V positive wire. Only signal and ground.
Can I connect my receiver directly to the battery through the balance wires?
Receiver is a FrSky X8R and has an operating current of 4-10V. (2S lipo?)

Hoping to get this thing in the air with the supplies I have lying around.

Thanks in advance.
Lazie

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Yep - according to the manual, it can take up to 10 volts (so 2S could power it). The only thing that is not explicitly described in the manual (based on a quick look) is whether it has an onboard voltage regulator to reduce the output voltage to your servos and ESC. So I think you can power it with the 2S but you should check the output voltage before connecting your ESC or servos.

Laziegoblin

Yep - according to the manual, it can take up to 10 volts (so 2S could power it). The only thing that is not explicitly described in the manual (based on a quick look) is whether it has an onboard voltage regulator to reduce the output voltage to your servos and ESC. So I think you can power it with the 2S but you should check the output voltage before connecting your ESC or servos.
Thanks for the fast reply. It says "with RSSI PWM output (0-3.3V)" Does that mean on all the normal 8 channels it puts out 3.3V at most? And is this the standard? I have those yellow servo's. About the cheapest there are. Those say 4.8-6V on them. (Mr.rc SG90)

Operating current: 100mA@5V is also mentioned, but I thought that was just to tell you how much it'll use up.
I'm going out now so I'll try and see if I can get some more info for you tomorrow.
Regards
Lazie

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
@DamoRC is correct, your Rx will be ok, if you ONLY use a 2S battery. Your servos are another story, 2S too high of voltage for them. You would be better off changing ESC's or getting a separate BEC. This would give you the flexibility to go to 3S.

d8veh

Elite member
That's right. The receiver will be OK, but the servos most likely won't unless you have high voltage ones.

Headbang

Master member
At this point it may be best to just get a new ESC with a BEC built in. The 30amp blheli ones sold at FT are about the same price as a separate BEC. Otherwise you need servos that can handle 8.4V of the 2S battery. 8.4V will fry the servos that come in any FT power pack.

Laziegoblin

@DamoRC is correct, your Rx will be ok, if you ONLY use a 2S battery. Your servos are another story, 2S too high of voltage for them. You would be better off changing ESC's or getting a separate BEC. This would give you the flexibility to go to 3S.
I'll be checking if I can find a BEC in some local stores first. :)

Might come in handy for more things too.

Thanks for the advice guys!