• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Building my own swapable Cherokee, question about thrust angle.

I'm working on a design for a dollar tree foam board Piper Cherokee that utilizes the FT power pod. I'm basing the model on plans I found at Outerzone.co.uk linked below. My question, should I design the mount for the powerpod in my plane to have thrust angles similar to the angles in the plan or should I not worry too much about it on a model like this?

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2500

Work in progress design...
Fullscreen capture 612013 45045 PM.jpg

Last edited:

earthsciteach

You can always adjust the thrust angle by shimming washers between the x-mount and the firewall. I'd handle it that way. It may be difficult to get a "perfect" angle in the construction of the plane itself.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
The only other way I see he can do is by adjusting the rear of the pod up or down. Only problem with that is the side of the plane will have a bunch of holes, reducing the strength in that area

aiidanwings

You can always adjust the thrust angle by shimming washers between the x-mount and the firewall. I'd handle it that way. It may be difficult to get a "perfect" angle in the construction of the plane itself.

A great use for the unused prop shaft adapters we seem to accumulate.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The odds of the rest of the fuselage being perfect aren't great. I'd go with a normal pod and adjust later with shims like the guys are saying.

RoyBro

Mentor
Looks very nice. What program are you using for the modeling?

I'd very much like to see the final plans when you're finished.

Good Luck.

RB

Looks very nice. What program are you using for the modeling?

I'd very much like to see the final plans when you're finished.

Good Luck.

RB
I come from a CG background so I actually use a polygonal/subd modeler called Silo. I'm learning Solidworks which makes more sense for designing these models, but since I already know Silo/Maya I use those currently. I'll post the model to Turbosquid or something for free when I'm done, but it'll probably be .OBJ, not super CAD-friendly.

http://www.nevercenter.com/silo/

I've built the wing and tail so far. I'm waiting to get my motor and battery before doing the fuse so that I can make sure my setup will work correctly. _DSC0001.JPG _DSC0002.JPG _DSC0003.JPG _DSC0004.JPG _DSC0005.JPG _DSC0007.JPG IMG_3358.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I'm not sure about the landing gear. Probably just fly it and belly land it on grass for now. I made a few mistakes with this one, so I will correct those in my plans if I build another and those plans will have gear.

I just got all my components and my transmitter programmed last night! Yay! Ready to fly, except all this rain in Michigan right now.

http://youtu.be/Elf0ap5clrk