Building needs

docque

When building many of the FT planes it requires you to make sure you have 90 degree angles. I am unable to find what I am looking for. I am going to start using glue instead of hot glue. This means it takes longer to dry. What I want to find are small(ish) metal cubes that I can use to hold the DTFB at 90 degrees while the glue dries. I am not sure what to look for on Amazon because if I look for metal cubes, I get too many results.

What do you use?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
In the past I have built many FT planes and designed a few as well. I use liquid glue almost exclusively. Often I have in construction upto 6 models at the same time and as you can imagine without some form of assistance, clamps or similar the results could be rather variable.

Anyone who builds using FB has offcuts or scraps. Well I make FORMERS for my models out of the offcuts. For a fuselage I would cut a piece to the internal dimensions of the point I want to hold in shape and then cut a piece to fit over the same point.

Then I allow the glue and fold up the piece under construction. Fit the internal former and slide the external piece over the job. If necessary I use a little tape to hold the formers in position. When the glue is dry I remove the former pieces. If undamaged I can use them again next time and if damaged it is no real loss and I can make replacements if needed in the future.

A similar approach can be undertaken when trying to glue the tail members onto the craft to ensure that everything is properly aligned and square.

Here are a few pics for one of my designs which show the use of a FB former to aid in the making of a FB hatch.canopy of a curved shape.

SUNP0013 (2).JPG

SUNP0014 (2).JPG

SUNP0015 (2).JPG

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Low-tech, but . . . Have you noticed rolls of tape have a square edge?

so long as you haven't let the tape overheat and slide on the roll, that packing tape makes a great square.

. . . and since they're rarely sold in single packs, you probably have a whole set, ready to be put to use.

Bob S

When building many of the FT planes it requires you to make sure you have 90 degree angles. I am unable to find what I am looking for. I am going to start using glue instead of hot glue. This means it takes longer to dry. What I want to find are small(ish) metal cubes that I can use to hold the DTFB at 90 degrees while the glue dries. I am not sure what to look for on Amazon because if I look for metal cubes, I get too many results.

What do you use?
The 123 blocks start at $15 on Amazon and go up from there. These are made in china but they are square enough for Foam builds.
Stay away rom then me brands, they cost $$.
Bob