Help! Building service?

JaceNelson

I recently bought a kit and have been trying to build it (its my first one) but im having trouble with the soldering. And this is unlike me to not finish something all the way through, but it’s been a month and a half of soldering and unsoldering and I’m now willing to hire someone to build it for me. It’s the RR Cl1, I will pay for shipping both ways. Name your price and Ill decide if I think it’s reasonable.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Soldering is an essential skill for anyone in the hobby. I also struggled to solder until I upgraded my soldering iron. I was using the cheap $10 iron, when I upgraded to a temperature controlled iron, it was like magic. I started making beautiful solder joints. The correct temperature, flux, & 60/40 solder with lead are the keys to success.

If you are going to stick with the hobby, you will never regret learning to solder or investing a few buck in a decent solder station.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@JaceNelson This may help you. A lot of new people are getting wrong information on how to solder and many struggle because of it. As @Merv stated your iron has a lot to do with how things turn out. Give it a read and practice what is stated. I will say more then likely though as you have stated you have reworked your build several times that if you used super heated iron methods as others preach the likely hood you have damaged your board is higher.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/soldering-you-are-not-a-freakin-plumber.64237/

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Also, Watch a lot of tutorials! It'll save you tons of $ if you build it yourself. You won't have to take it into a hobby shop to repair if you build it from scratch.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I recently bought a kit and have been trying to build it (its my first one) but im having trouble with the soldering. And this is unlike me to not finish something all the way through, but it’s been a month and a half of soldering and unsoldering and I’m now willing to hire someone to build it for me. It’s the RR Cl1, I will pay for shipping both ways. Name your price and Ill decide if I think it’s reasonable.
I reside in AUS. I build and help others build for free. The forum is accessed worldwide with members from almost every country and area so the area your reside in would be a helpful piece of information! There could be someone next door to you but as they do not know the area in which you reside they will not respond.

Just a thought!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would gladly build it for free but right now my living situation here is in flux and I may or may not be here long enough to have it arrive , built and sent back in a reasonable time.

@Hai-Lee is also correct about knowing at least a general location where you are so someone closer who may live just up your street may be able to help.

JaceNelson

The problem is that there isn’t any multi rotor clubs where I live. (Amarillo, Texas) I’ve been looking for some groups but the only thing I’ve found is a small car group with a bunch of 40-50 year olds (I’m in high school) and three dudes that charge a stupid amount to fly with them at their private field thats a 45 minute drive away. So I’m in quite the pickle when it comes to local resources. Thats why Im resorting to this plan.

JaceNelson

I also should list some things about the hardware. The fc runs betaflight and the receiver is a spektrum dsmx. I can send a battery if I need to, but I’m I’d prefer not to because I don’t have a charger and would like to keep it juiced up (I ordered one from banggood and its on its way)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
can you post some pictures of the electronics and their condition. I will take a look at it for obvious damage. If it all looks salvageable Id be willing to get on skype with cameras and walk you thru step by step and teach you how to solder and how it all gets wired up once you get the hang of soldering.

In the mean time take a look at the videos I did on my last build to familiarize yourself with the components and how they go together. It has everything from frame prep to maiden , tuning and breaking and rebuilding. The playlist seems to be in reverse order so if you watch them start at the end and work backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsDZ_UzA_RpsFVcaHbMa1acZLNpAn0IFk

JaceNelson

I only got to the esc, then that’s where I got stuck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That doesnt look in too bad shape.

Do you have a temp controlled soldering iron or a fixed wattage iron with no control? If no temp controlled iron could you dump money on this?... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MCVCHJM/?tag=lstir-20 That is the iron I use and its been stable and reliable for nearly two years now.

Edit: hehe just logged into amazon to watch some movies and it says I got the iron in January 2016 so its REALLY holding up well hehe.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Did you read the write up I linked?

Edit: Actually... I just flashed back to a bad situation the last time I over extended my help. I am going to rescind my offer. Use the information I already passed on or not the choice is yours. I wish you good luck and happy flying.

Last edited:

JaceNelson

No, please. I’m new and am trying to be humble as possible by accepting any and all help from people because y’all are more experienced than I am. I haven’t finished reading it all but I have started it. I have also mustered enough self discipline and patience too pull the box out of my closet and bring it back to my work bench. So maybe I can get it done, boy this has been a ride

Bifi.baarlo

You don't need flux, the most importand is good solder, 60/40 is the best, don't use leadfree solder and watch Psyborg's video.

outthayr

Don't give up, just try your best and you'll learn what works and what doesn't. My very first issue was a dirty motor and I had to send in for repairs as I was totally clueless.

My first build had a motor go out = bad solder connection to ESC. Then DSMX satellite was on the fritz = wired 5v instead of the recommended 3.3v. Then I was losing power = bad solder connection to battery pad. *Just keep your flying tame once it's in the air - you don't want to lose your build or something worse.

Not gonna lie, the majority of my time was first spent taking the thing apart and repairing. However, after all the ups and downs it's mostly ups now! If you keep at it I would say later down the road you'll give yourself a pat on the back - and you'd come away with a greater understanding of drones and life itself.