Help! Building service?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Quick begginer question, do I need a capacitor to fly, or does it just improve quality?
short answer, yes (there are caps on the FC and ESC boards, else they would have issues)
if your talking about the bigger cap that is put on the battery input terminals, it depends, sometimes things can work without it, but if they do, it won't be as good as with it there and you could possibly run into situation were you give some sudden throttle and your FC browns out [which triggers a reboot], causing your quad to fall from the sky.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Quick begginer question, do I need a capacitor to fly, or does it just improve quality?

It depends on what you built and what power range you use. If its a strictly 4s build and you wind or braid any video wires probably not. 5s and up I would add one at the pig tail or depending on esc's add one at each esc. Just be sure they are specifically low esr type.

JaceNelson

Also, I bought a dsmx receiver because my radio is spektrum (which was a mistake and Im looking for a different protocol to switch to) but I don’t really know if my fc supports it? And If so which wire goes where? The images are of the receiver/box and the fc and wiring instructions it came with

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    977.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Also, I bought a dsmx receiver because my radio is spektrum (which was a mistake and Im looking for a different protocol to switch to) but I don’t really know if my fc supports it? And If so which wire goes where? The images are of the receiver/box and the fc and wiring instructions it came with

Well.... I looked this up to see everything about this FC. Seems it does everything as advertised EXCEPT give a 3.3v power option for spectrum receivers. Lucky for you I also looked up the receiver and learned it surprisingly will take 3v to 8 v.

So wiring is simple Black goes to ground, red to 5v and signal to TX1.

This may help.

Oh yeah forgot to ask. how you doing with soldering practice?

JaceNelson

Its been great, I've persevered and am moving along. I think a big problem was I had a fan blowing in the direction of the build to get the smoke and fumes out of my face, so it would create a cold joint and pop off any time I touched it. Thanks so much for all the help and encouragement, and I’m glad to see you’re still here helping people PsyBorg!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@JaceNelson Well things have recently gone back to semi normal here financially so I guess I get to live where I am at for a while longer hehe. I was going to see how you do and if you still can not seem to get anywhere then I would have to remake my offer to do the work.

Get us some pics of the progress you make so we can cheer you on or foresee any potential issues before you power up.

JaceNelson

Well guys, it’s been a long journey and I had everything wired up but when I went to program it in beta flight a lot of the things aren’t showing up. Then I left it alone for a bit and came back and a lot of stuff popped off. This has been fun and ive learned a lot but Im back to square 1 and im starting to consider sticking to pre built quads since im not that good at building. Im not quitting the hobby, probably just building, for now at least. So Im once again asking for building services, thanks so much for the support

JaceNelson

The battery lead fell off and the im switching out a different receiver

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I think I can take a guess on what the problem is

Yes there are issues easily spotted that say DO NOT POWER THAT UP. It WILL let the magic smoke out in that condition and potentially explode your battery.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you did not use any of the resources provided here because every thing wrong I see was addressed in the information I passed on.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I second the "don't power that up" from PsyBorg.... multiple pictures have 'don't even think of power me up' spots.

JaceNelson

I watched your videos and looked at some of the other stuff but I missed the write up you did about soldering so im gonna tear it down and start back over

outthayr

You could get a 'solder prototype board' and some different gauge wire and get your technique down before you apply it to your build. I burnt out a few components learning how to solder. Good effort, you're on the right track by just trying.

1611016230107.png