Building the FT Mosquito Master Series 50“

Burnhard

I'm curious how it stacks up next to the 13th Squadron version. I wish FT didn't bundle it with the electronics. Good luck with your build- the Mossie is a fine looking airplane!
I did not mind the electronics as I needed these anyway. Will post some pics from the build.

I got some electric retracts which I would like to use. Any other mods I should give a try?

Fedex now says Thursday, which is still very fast considering that this needs to travel from the US to Europe.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I built the 13th Squadron one a while back but didn't mod much. I did wind up swapping out the original A pack motors called for in their plans for larger F ones so that I could fit some spinners on it. I see FT now has foam spinners that should fit A pack motors. The smaller motors would be better for battery life.

If you're going to use retracts, be sure to take a photo or two of your placement and installation; I'm sure lots of folks will want to see how you did it.

Burnhard

I built the 13th Squadron one a while back but didn't mod much. I did wind up swapping out the original A pack motors called for in their plans for larger F ones so that I could fit some spinners on it. I see FT now has foam spinners that should fit A pack motors. The smaller motors would be better for battery life.

If you're going to use retracts, be sure to take a photo or two of your placement and installation; I'm sure lots of folks will want to see how you did it.
I recently build a C 47/ DC 3 with two F pack motors. Maiden is yet to come. Did some thrust tests with the motors but I have troubles to believe that this is actually going to fly on these little 6x3 props (you can‘t fit anything larger because of prop clearance to the fuselage).

Ordered some foam spinners for the Moz. I have been experimenting with doing my own spinners for a while. Styrofoam spinners create a real mess in the workshop. XPS works slight better but is also much heavier. 3D printed spinners work pretty well but never survive any rougher landing.

SSgt Duramax

I recently build a C 47/ DC 3 with two F pack motors. Maiden is yet to come. Did some thrust tests with the motors but I have troubles to believe that this is actually going to fly on these little 6x3 props (you can‘t fit anything larger because of prop clearance to the fuselage).

Ordered some foam spinners for the Moz. I have been experimenting with doing my own spinners for a while. Styrofoam spinners create a real mess in the workshop. XPS works slight better but is also much heavier. 3D printed spinners work pretty well but never survive any rougher landing.
Try 6045 props. I have found 6030s to be gutless on them. Of course this is my subjective, antecdotal experience.

My old sunnysky 2207 2100kvs are apparently good for close to 1000g thrust on a 6x4 prop depending on where you look.

Last edited:

Burnhard

Try 6045 props. I have found 6030s to be gutless on them. Of course this is my subjective, antecdotal experience.

My old sunnysky 2207 2100kvs are apparently good for close to 1000g thrust on a 6x4 prop depending on where you look.
Will give these a try. I ordered both, the 6x3 and 6x4. Almost a kilo in thrust would be great. The whole aircraft is about 850 grams or so.

SSgt Duramax

Will give these a try. I ordered both, the 6x3 and 6x4. Almost a kilo in thrust would be great. The whole aircraft is about 850 grams or so.

One sunny sky 2207 2100kv with a 6045 3 blade prop is enough to motivate my 600g wing to pretty astounding speeds given what it is. I know it is a little more aerodynamically advantaged, but "F Pack" motors are seriously underrated.

The two planes seem to be relatively similar. The FT plane has about a 5 inch wider span. FTs runs off a budget B, whatever that is. I would say that the FT plane could easily fly on F Packs, but the bigger props on the FT model probably make for a little better low end "punch".

But my 2700kv F pack on my mini kadet with a 5x5 prop seems like it takes a while to get the plane moving, but once it does, it is gone.

CrshNBrn

Elite member

I put drone props (5x4x3) on my C-47 after some nasty stalls during landings repeatedly put the my 6X3 props through the fuselage. When that skinny old wing decides it wants to stop flying, it just drops.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
One sunny sky 2207 2100kv with a 6045 3 blade prop is enough to motivate my 600g wing to pretty astounding speeds given what it is. I know it is a little more aerodynamically advantaged, but "F Pack" motors are seriously underrated.

The two planes seem to be relatively similar. The FT plane has about a 5 inch wider span. FTs runs off a budget B, whatever that is. I would say that the FT plane could easily fly on F Packs, but the bigger props on the FT model probably make for a little better low end "punch".

But my 2700kv F pack on my mini kadet with a 5x5 prop seems like it takes a while to get the plane moving, but once it does, it is gone.

I was looking forward to the FT model's release, but the $200 price tag is a little steep for 5 inches (insert joke here) knowing that I can just rebuild my 13th Squadron Mossie again for a few bucks. I was hoping the FT one would have been bigger, in the 60" range, like their P-38. Of all the planes I've built, the P-38 gets the most compliments at the club. Folks like big twin engines, and the Mossie would have been perfect for that size.

PS I'm also glad you got that mini kadet up and running. I gave mine away to a buddy's kid before finishing it, and haven't heard what he did with it.

SSgt Duramax

I was looking forward to the FT model's release, but the $200 price tag is a little steep for 5 inches (insert joke here) knowing that I can just rebuild my 13th Squadron Mossie again for a few bucks. I was hoping the FT one would have been bigger, in the 60" range, like their P-38. Of all the planes I've built, the P-38 gets the most compliments at the club. Folks like big twin engines, and the Mossie would have been perfect for that size.

PS I'm also glad you got that mini kadet up and running. I gave mine away to a buddy's kid before finishing it, and haven't heard what he did with it.
Cant win them all, you can always scale the 13th squadron one up by 20% (or more). I think twin F packs could easily fly a 60" span plane. Of course I would rather use the C packs. Hopefully they will eventually sell it without electronics. Maybe they are making you buy the electronics because of balancing and want to make sure it flies right. I can tell you I wouldnt buy a plane if you made me get the electronics unless i specifically wanted them or they were already built in, especially when I have electronics already.

I have good news, as far as the FT vs 13th squadron thing goes. I have built both zeros, and they both fly the same.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Cant win them all, you can always scale the 13th squadron one up by 20% (or more). I think twin F packs could easily fly a 60" span plane. Of course I would rather use the C packs. Hopefully they will eventually sell it without electronics. Maybe they are making you buy the electronics because of balancing and want to make sure it flies right. I can tell you I wouldnt buy a plane if you made me get the electronics unless i specifically wanted them or they were already built in, especially when I have electronics already.

I have good news, as far as the FT vs 13th squadron thing goes. I have built both zeros, and they both fly the same.
I haven't tried the FT mini zero but I know that THe 13th squadron one had to be retired from the lack of strength in the wingtips and cowling. After the second hard crash, it flew apart into a million bits and pieces.

Burnhard

5“ can make all the difference ;-) I really like the P-38. Unfortunately it does not fit in the trunk of my car without making the wings removable. The 50“ models just fit pretty much exactly.

Burnhard

Good point. F packs seem to be all the rage now with the lines of mini MS masterpieces that Overstreet is creating.
Stupid question, the B pack motors to me seem stronger than the F pack motors or am I mistaken here? In the discription of the B pack it reads that these are for 1-2lbs models. Two B pack motors should give ample of thrust for a model that should be at around 2lbs.

Burnhard

I put drone props (5x4x3) on my C-47 after some nasty stalls during landings repeatedly put the my 6X3 props through the fuselage. When that skinny old wing decides it wants to stop flying, it just drops.
I currently have drone props (6x3x3) on as well and have the 6x4x3 as spares. I am waiting for better conditions to dare the maiden.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Stupid question, the B pack motors to me seem stronger than the F pack motors or am I mistaken here? In the discription of the B pack it reads that these are for 1-2lbs models. Two B pack motors should give ample of thrust for a model that should be at around 2lbs.

I would think so. The F ones aren't THAT big. I've got a pair in a 13th Squadron Betty that just lumbers along. I don't think I'd want them in the FT Mossie though. I think you're better with the B pack instead.

Burnhard

The Mosquito got stuck in customs in Cologne. Given current carnival season I do not expect it to arrive before mid next week.

At least I got the P40 finished. Maiden on the weekend. Keeping fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 58631AC9-1E83-4928-B182-68821704EF1A.jpeg
    58631AC9-1E83-4928-B182-68821704EF1A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: