Building the FT Mosquito Master Series 50“

Bo123

Elite member
Did the maiden yesterday. Worked perfectly. Close to no trim necessary. Battery set-up was good. Ample of power. Pulled a few large loops on the second run. Flaps work as well launched with about 25% flaps and landed on about 50%. No noseover on the landing. Battery capacity at 51% after four minutes. Did most of the flying at about 40-50% throttle.

How can I upload a video here?
View attachment 228526
I think the easiest way is to upload the video to Youtube then link it here.

Opus

I think the easiest way is to upload the video to Youtube then link it here.
Did the maiden yesterday. Worked perfectly. Close to no trim necessary. Battery set-up was good. Ample of power. Pulled a few large loops on the second run. Flaps work as well launched with about 25% flaps and landed on about 50%. No noseover on the landing. Battery capacity at 51% after four minutes. Did most of the flying at about 40-50% throttle.

How can I upload a video here?
View attachment 228526
Glad to hear of your successful maiden. Looking forward to the video.
FPV next?

Burnhard

Glad to hear of your successful maiden. Looking forward to the video.
FPV next?
;-) I am still relatively new to fpv. Am considering to build a second nose for a FPV set-up. I had a quick look at what you are using for the headtracking but this is way too complex for my limited skills. Also, so far I had the camera mounted to the tail which allowed to see the aircraft (in particular the wings) against the horizon (just in case the camera moves).

Anyhow, the Mozzi flies awesome. Pretty much the best I have built of all the Master Series.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
;-) I am still relatively new to fpv. Am considering to build a second nose for a FPV set-up. I had a quick look at what you are using for the headtracking but this is way too complex for my limited skills. Also, so far I had the camera mounted to the tail which allowed to see the aircraft (in particular the wings) against the horizon (just in case the camera moves).

Anyhow, the Mozzi flies awesome. Pretty much the best I have built of all the Master Series.
Definitely want to build one after seeing yours!

(Doubt mine would turn out that nice though lol)

I think she'd make an awesome FPV bird, especially with headtracking but would be a little hesitant to go through the FPV learning curve on such a pretty plane. If you do go FPV I'd also suggest a flight controller with RTH. (For simple ive found i like the Zohd kopilot lite) If something goes wrong with the video feed it takes a suprising amount of time to find your aircraft in the sky and regain your bearings. A simple click of the RTH switch and you'll at least know she's not going to do the death spiral before you get her under visual orientation.

Also, I've found a simple pan and tilt can be a lot of fun even without the complications of head tracking.

Opus

I am no genius but I was able to figure out the head tracking setup. It connects to the trainer function in your transmitter. I have a Taranus. One part of the tracker attaches to the transmitter and the other part to your goggles. For a back up I added a switch on the transmitter that controls the servo under the camera. If the head tracker fails I can switch it to a knob on the transmitter and control it that way.
You mentioned putting a camera in the nose. That would be difficult since the nose has to come off to load the battery.

Burnhard

Had a little mishap with the Mozzi in the summer.
e4a6725e-309b-4a05-b1a6-288dbdf4b494.jpeg

Never change the programming of your radio at the flying field. I did that and got a mix wrong. As a result my flaps/ elevator mix was reversed so when I pulle the flaps in, it gave downwards elevator which ended up in a nose dive into the cornfield next to our flying field.

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I have started rebuilding. Luckily I copied the parts when I originally build the plane.

Yeah, I started doing the same when I build. Saves a ton of time in repairs for sure!

I also started doing repairs to tears and such with white gorilla glue instead of hot glue. It really helps keep the weight down, especially on those models that tend to have frequent brushes with gravity. 😄

Burnhard

Yeah, I started doing the same when I build. Saves a ton of time in repairs for sure!

I also started doing repairs to tears and such with white gorilla glue instead of hot glue. It really helps keep the weight down, especially on those models that tend to have frequent brushes with gravity. 😄
I also use white glue to keep weight down. Otherwise my Bushwacker would consist almost only of hotg glue.