Building the FT Spitfire

Cobra1365

Finished mine today. Just need a good day to Maiden.

Question: where did yours level on the CG? Mine is at the back side of the main spar. I may add a 1/4 ounce to the front end.

Attachments

• 8D0AB64C-DC58-46E3-A774-2E3E0037B25E.jpeg
    8D0AB64C-DC58-46E3-A774-2E3E0037B25E.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1

Flyingshark

Master member
Finished mine today. Just need a good day to Maiden.

Question: where did yours level on the CG? Mine is at the back side of the main spar. I may add a 1/4 ounce to the front end.
Mine balanced a touch nose heavy on the middle of the spar. Good luck on the maiden!

danskis

Master member
My CG is at the front edge to right-on the front spar using either a 1500 or 2200mah bat with the plane upside down and almost level. (which you already knew) Maybe a click or 5 up elevator on the hand launch.

Last edited:

Cobra1365

Maidened this morning. Did not go so well.

The airplane wanted to roll left. Added right aileron and found it had no effect. So compensated with some trim and rudder. It also wanted to dive. Compensated for this by holding a bit of up elevator. The roll kept worsening. Trying to line it up for landing, it got to the point I was all over the controls. Went into the alfalfa...flat. But, still took the gear off and broke the prop.

When I got to the airplane, I did a quick control check. I immediately noticed the issue. Up elevator caused the left side of the elevator to deflect considerably more than the right...thus causing the left roll. It acted like an elevon.
everything else seemed fine (again, other than the gear and prop.

I think I’ll add a Stiffener between the two sides of the elevator. I’ll probably increase the throw on the ailerons a bit as well.

Oh well, they’re foamies!

Flyingshark

Master member
Repaired the Spitfire. The damage was more extensive than I'd realized. A lot of hot glue and packing tape did the trick, and she's ready to fly again.
IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0128.JPG IMG_0129.JPG

Cobra1365

Spitty went in again today. It just keeps wanting to roll hard left. Full deflection on aileron and rudder at half to quarter throttle and it still rolls left.

Decalage might be off some. But, it’s a pretty hard roll. I’d think I’d see something more obvious.

Cobra1365

I may totally rebuild the tail surfaces to see if that’s the issue. Other than a few more degrees of dihedral, everything looks fine. I even tilted the motor more to the right. No help.

Cobra1365

I think I figured it out. After I removed the tail assembly, I held up the fuselage and I could see a gentle warp all along the fuselage to the left. With the tail on, it was not as noticeable, as the eye went to the very stab.

I‘ll rebuild the fuselage and tail feathers and give it another go.

Cobra1365

So, maiden part ducks...or is this three? Anywho! Flew much better. But, still wanted to roll left. Full right trim on aileron and rudder. Pulled the gear off on landing.

Pretty sure I have it figured out now. The wing has a very slight twist to it! I reused the wing from the first go and just rebuilt the fuselage. I didn’t notice it until my buddy held it flat At eye level and I looked at the bottom of the wing. I could see more of the right wing than the left. That slight increase in angle of attack caused more lift on that side resulting in the roll to the opposite side.

G to be pretty windy for the next few days. So, I’ll split the wing and straighten it.

Flyingshark

Master member
Just me but I think I'd build another wing. Those wings are easy.
I second that. With a little digging, you can still use the same servos and control horns. If the wing is twisted, it's probably best to deal with it by making a non-twisted wing instead of trying to cut and bend the wing you already have to get the twist out. Assuming you have enough foam board to build another set of wings and that little bottom piece from the fuselage that goes under the wings.

Last edited:

Cobra1365

Yep...that’s what I ended up doing! I had one precut that I forgot about! Derp! I messed up a cut originally and cut. Second one. The messed up cut is cosmetic. So, that’s the one I’ve used now.
As I said, weather is going South here over the next few days. So, I’ll take the time to finish it up.

Thanks!

Cobra1365

SUCCESS! Sorry, no video. But I rebuilt a new wing and shortened up the gear a bit. Airplane took off with no problem. Still needed some right trim, but nothing compared to previous flights. Elevator has plenty of authority. I need to give it more aileron authority though. I also think I’m going to change props. I flew for less than 3 minutes and the batteries were down to 3.8/cell when I landed. I’m running a 20 amp ESC with a GTMax 2215/09 motor swinging a 10x4.5 prop. Battery is a 3s 1300.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
SUCCESS! Sorry, no video. But I rebuilt a new wing and shortened up the gear a bit. Airplane took off with no problem. Still needed some right trim, but nothing compared to previous flights. Elevator has plenty of authority. I need to give it more aileron authority though. I also think I’m going to change props. I flew for less than 3 minutes and the batteries were down to 3.8/cell when I landed. I’m running a 20 amp ESC with a GTMax 2215/09 motor swinging a 10x4.5 prop. Battery is a 3s 1300.
Yay! Are you sure the pack was charged up all the way? Even at full throttle the whole time you should be getting more than that... I have a 9x6 in mind and it gives really good performance!

Cobra1365

Yay! Are you sure the pack was charged up all the way? Even at full throttle the whole time you should be getting more than that... I have a 9x6 in mind and it gives really good performance!

Yeah, had a full charge! I’m throwing a 9x6 on it. I don’t anticipate a lot of difference though. Diameter decreases. But, pitch increases.