Building the FT Spitfire

skymaster

Elite member
very nice spitfire's. I dicided to revisit mine since it was painted with a few black stripes .

Attachments

• 2020-09-25 12.12.10.jpg
    2020-09-25 12.12.10.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020-09-25 12.11.56.jpg
    2020-09-25 12.11.56.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 0

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Yesterday my power pack A (next plane) and DX6e (along with lots of other things) arrived!

I needed to cut down the FT battery straps to fit inside the nose of the Spitfire: View attachment 176893
View attachment 176892

And the AR410 receiver turned out to be slightly larger than a utility blade! The size made it super easy to fit in the extra space up at the front of the power pod.
View attachment 176895

Also,
"GOOD NEWS! The Dacia Sandero..." (Any Top Gear UK fans around here?) With the extra weight of the battery straps in the nose, and rx pushed up near the front of the power pod, the Spitfire balances about on the cg, with a little extra space to move the battery farther forward if needed.

On a side note, the DX6e's set of 'profile pictures' for planes included one of a Spitfire! Yay!
View attachment 176894
I love top gear Uk.

Cobra1365

Took the Spitty out this AM.
I dialed on more throw on the ailerons and swapped to a 9x6 prop. Wow, what a difference! Still needed more elevator throw. So, second battery included changing the throw.

This thing is SO relaxing to fly, yet has enough spunk to enjoy some acro. Nice gentle landings! Just fun to fly!

danskis

Master member
@Spitfire1 - pics coming but it will take a few days. On the plane I use a plastic hook with double sided tape that you can buy at any hardware store or dollar tree - just peel the tape cover off and stick it on a flat spot near the nose - not under the CG - you want the plane to go more out than up. I'll have to measure the bungee to remember how long it is. I used 5mm shock cord for tent poles that I got at REI I think about 25 feet. You could use 1/4 inch if you can find it. You can use anything on the ground to put under the wings - I used a couple of 2X4s when I first made it. It.

Spitfire1

@danskis, thanks for your response. Yes, launching the Spitfire without landing gear is tricky. Also, please include pictures of your trip mechanism. I would be interested to see how that was done. Thanks.

Brian B

Elite member
I think I will at least do invasion stripes on the fuselage and both the top and bottom of the wings to start. Still, though, I'm probably a long way away from flying the Spitfire, let alone getting comfortable enough to work on a paint job. Probably the first 10 or so flights I do won't have any paint on it. Only then will I start working through more of the details. (little foam board/3d printed exhausts, paint, etc.)

An a related note, I really like how you did the yellow wingtips on that Spitfire! It looks like a natural extension of how the leading edges of the wings were often painted yellow.

Also, although the FT Spitfire looks like a Mk IX to me, I might go with more of an early war orientation scheme like the bottom one.
View attachment 175842

Also, I might abandon the idea of giving it a wartime paint job, and paint this one as more of a race plane if I have trouble with orientation.
Race plane? How about race CAR? Also gonna wait till I get several flights it. This weekend is the maiden!

Attachments

• 20210326_163122.jpg
    20210326_163122.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210326_163249.jpg
    20210326_163249.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 71cqL4AlSIL._AC_UL1442_.jpg
    71cqL4AlSIL._AC_UL1442_.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0