Building the FT Versa Wing

I was thinking of building the FT Versa wing as a scratch build. This will be my first scratch build and I don't know how much foam board I will need. I have a couple of pieces of Office Depot foam board, will that work? Also is the Versa Wing a good first scratchbuild? Thanks for all the help on these forums.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It's not the best choice for your first scratch build but if you have watched the build videos for most of the scratch builds, there's no reason you can't make the Versa your first build. There are a few techniques that you use on all the builds and it helps to do some of the more simple builds first to get proficient, but in all, if you take it a step at a time and take your time, you should do fine. If I recall correctly, you'll need 3 sheets of Dollar Tree. I don't know the dimensions of the Office Depot board...

Thanks. I think I will go to the dollar tree. When they say 50% score do they mean cut through the foam and but not one of the sheets of paper? The best help I have gotten on these forums is from Texans!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That's 'cause we friendly 'round these parts!

50% score cut=Cut top paper and some foam and then fold/break on cut. Paper acts like a hinge on the backside of the cut.

Well I think I might have a problem. I made the fifty percent score cuts in the wing but I cut them on the side of the wing that faces outwards and it looks like I was supposed to them on the inside part. Will this make a difference? Also I cant do the double bevel very well so would it work to just sand it?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Well I think I might have a problem. I made the fifty percent score cuts in the wing but I cut them on the side of the wing that faces outwards and it looks like I was supposed to them on the inside part. Will this make a difference? Also I cant do the double bevel very well so would it work to just sand it?
Yes it will make a difference. Have you glued it yet? If you did both wings, then you can just reverse them. If you've already glued them, you can try a hair dryer or heat gun(carefully to not melt the foam) to get it back apart. Or did you just not make a left and right? If you made both wings identical, you'll have to make a new "other" half.

No I got the cut for the leading edge right, but the 4 cuts that give the wing the airfoil are on the outside instead of the inside. I have only made one wing. Should I do the other other wing the same way or the correct way? The wing still looks corect.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
All the cuts should be on the same side of the foamboard. Once it's folded, everything ends up on the inside. You might need to redo the wing.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
FP,

The plush 25 will do, but the plush 18 will do just as well. The motor should draw under 13A (from the max wattage on 3S), so anything over that should work fine -- what you pick is up to you. you'll need to pick up 3.5 mm bullet connectors, since the motor doesn't appear to come with matching female connectors for the ESC.

As for shrink tube, yes you'll need some. 5mm? dunno. I purchase mine locally and buy a grade a touch better than normal. I use a 3M waterproof shrink tube, so it has an extra sealing layer. With that extra layer the bond is much better,and it can shrink to nothing if need be. Overkill? probably, but it's what I've used for years.