Building the Storch!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I had a bit of build time this evening. I used most of it cutting some squares out of giftcards and drilling holes in them and then gluing them in to support the skewers on my Spitfire build.

Then I extended the lines on my STORCH wings! and got them ready to go (they're against the wall in the background) and got the wing supports stripped and prepped. Tomorrow is a Friday night at Walmart. Lord only knows if i'll have anything left to build with over the weekend. Meanwhile, the Storch Group Build begins! :D

20190823_014442.jpg

Hoomi

Master member
My wife works for a little company that makes props for fire dancers. Their current location is in the basement of an OLD building, and it actually does look a lot like a dungeon. Since her work hours are pretty much as flexible as she wishes, (provided orders get taken care of in a timely manner), she'll often wait to go to work until after I get home, so I can help her schlep orders out and take them to the post office. They have a few vacant workbenches, so while she's working on orders, I work on my plane.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My wife works for a little company that makes props for fire dancers. Their current location is in the basement of an OLD building, and it actually does look a lot like a dungeon. Since her work hours are pretty much as flexible as she wishes, (provided orders get taken care of in a timely manner), she'll often wait to go to work until after I get home, so I can help her schlep orders out and take them to the post office. They have a few vacant workbenches, so while she's working on orders, I work on my plane.
Fire dancers huh... that's a pretty niche market. Does she stay busy?

Hoomi

Master member
Not very. The company almost went under a couple of years ago, partly due to decreasing sales, and partly due to the owners at that time not really paying much attention to the company. About the only time she'd hear from the previous owners was when a customer had a problem, but when she contacted them asking about something? She was lucky to even get an acknowledgment of the question, let alone an answer. They were in the process of shutting down, when an offer was made to take over the business, and the new owner is far more involved. He moved the workshop from a dedicated house to rented space, pared down the product line to get rid of inventory that wasn't selling, and backed away from the previous owners' policy that someone needed to be at the business to cover the phone 40 hours a week. When they were doing a lot more business, that wasn't a problem, but towards the end, they weren't doing enough sales to cover costs, between the mortgage on the workhouse and minimum 40 hours of payroll a week.

No phone at the new location. Both my wife and son work for this company, and it's pretty much a matter now of they go in when there's work to do. Doesn't make for much pay, but does help keep the company in business. Our son has two other jobs he divides his time between, so he's not solely dependent on the one.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Not very. The company almost went under a couple of years ago, partly due to decreasing sales, and partly due to the owners at that time not really paying much attention to the company. About the only time she'd hear from the previous owners was when a customer had a problem, but when she contacted them asking about something? She was lucky to even get an acknowledgment of the question, let alone an answer. They were in the process of shutting down, when an offer was made to take over the business, and the new owner is far more involved. He moved the workshop from a dedicated house to rented space, pared down the product line to get rid of inventory that wasn't selling, and backed away from the previous owners' policy that someone needed to be at the business to cover the phone 40 hours a week. When they were doing a lot more business, that wasn't a problem, but towards the end, they weren't doing enough sales to cover costs, between the mortgage on the workhouse and minimum 40 hours of payroll a week.

No phone at the new location. Both my wife and son work for this company, and it's pretty much a matter now of they go in when there's work to do. Doesn't make for much pay, but does help keep the company in business. Our son has two other jobs he divides his time between, so he's not solely dependent on the one.
Do you guys live in the States?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yep, here in Baja Arizona.
Gotta be some good flying space in Arizona. I'm up in oil country in Canada so we have a lot open prairies. Just found some decent green space to fly in just 3 minute drive from the house. Lots of room for a Storch. Almost wish I had mine back but the warbirds have my attention now. Gotta grab a new F Pack for my minis but the standards are working out well. Gonna head out to @Headbang to his home airfield and maiden my Baby Blender. (y)(y)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I had a bit of build time this evening. I used most of it cutting some squares out of giftcards and drilling holes in them and then gluing them in to support the skewers on my Spitfire build.

Then I extended the lines on my STORCH wings! and got them ready to go (they're against the wall in the background) and got the wing supports stripped and prepped. Tomorrow is a Friday night at Walmart. Lord only knows if i'll have anything left to build with over the weekend. Meanwhile, the Storch Group Build begins! :D

View attachment 140411
How many sheets of foam does it use? Still gotta print my plans out😂

Hoomi

Master member
We have several clubs around the Tucson area. I belong to Southern Arizona Gliders and Electrics, and their field is out in Marana, another town on the west side of Tucson. Good group of folks, and we have a decent amount of wide open space around the flying field.

I had to pop down to the dungeon to help my wife with something, and snapped a photo. You can see my glue gun and the Storch wing on the workbench.

Dungeon.jpg

Headbang

Master member
Speed-Build kit. I figure, I can afford the kits, and it helps support the Flite Test folks. I get an airplane kit, they make a bit of profit, and we all get to keep enjoying the fun Flite Test videos online. Win-win-win.
I have a mpcnc with needle cutter, but I still flip through the box of speed build kits at the local hobby shop. Built a goblin from a kit a few weeks ago, honestly I prefer my cuts over the laser kits. But it is nice to have a kit on the shelf for when the itch to build something in an afternoon hits.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
We have several clubs around the Tucson area. I belong to Southern Arizona Gliders and Electrics, and their field is out in Marana, another town on the west side of Tucson. Good group of folks, and we have a decent amount of wide open space around the flying field.

I had to pop down to the dungeon to help my wife with something, and snapped a photo. You can see my glue gun and the Storch wing on the workbench.

View attachment 140452
Dig your digs man, all that space on your table. Are you sure you build planes there? My table looks like a yard sale lol