Building the Storch!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So. I'm building the Storch! Cool, right??!! I'm pretty excited to fly it. It's sort of an FT legend in my mind.

I've only just begun and I have a question. There's a piece of wood that Josh cuts to reinforce the wing. I think he calls it a "painter's stick?" It's not a paint-stirrer. It's like a lot of dowels glued together. I've got the foamboard. Anybody know where I get the stick?

Hoomi

Master member
I bought the Speed-Build kit, so it came with the stick. I think you could probably use a paint-stirrer from your local home improvement store, or Walmart probably has them in their paint department as well.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So. I'm building the Storch! Cool, right??!! I'm pretty excited to fly it. It's sort of an FT legend in my mind.

I've only just begun and I have a question. There's a piece of wood that Josh cuts to reinforce the wing. I think he calls it a "painter's stick?" It's not a paint-stirrer. It's like a lot of dowels glued together. I've got the foamboard. Anybody know where I get the stick?

It's just a paint stirrer. Nothing special. do you have one kickin around at home

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yep, but they're covered in paint. ;) I'll see if I can't get a couple at the store tomorrow. :)
When I built the Storch it was a bit daunting being so large, I had 2 glue guns going and the woman there to help me glue the wing together. It turns out to be a big plane compared to all the others. I think it's a 60" wing span or something. A lot of people like it though

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
When I built the Storch it was a bit daunting being so large, I had 2 glue guns going and the woman there to help me glue the wing together. It turns out to be a big plane compared to all the others. I think it's a 60" wing span or something. A lot of people like it though
It'll be the largest plane I've built by a longshot. With my available build-space it's going to be a challenge just to glue it together. This is going to be an interesting and exciting journey!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It'll be the largest plane I've built by a longshot. With my available build-space it's going to be a challenge just to glue it together. This is going to be an interesting and exciting journey!
Other then the pieces being so big it is actually a simple build, and so accommodating to mods if you like. And the flaps, wing slats, etc.

One thing that might be frustrating that I found was the landing gear, not to build but how it performs, there was a lot of repair/customizing for me there, but again I was kinda hard on it too.

What was it about the Storch you like so much?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Other then the pieces being so big it is actually a simple build, and so accommodating to mods if you like. And the flaps, wing slats, etc.

One thing that might be frustrating that I found was the landing gear, not to build but how it performs, there was a lot of repair/customizing for me there, but again I was kinda hard on it too.

What was it about the Storch you like so much?
It's Really Big! It's as big as most of us can do. I've been on the FT forums for a bit now, and the Storch is mentioned over and over as a great plane to learn how to land with. My flying skills have improved tremendously. I don't land worth a shoot. :poop:

I've got a narrow, gravel and grass landing area that just doesn't work for most RC aircraft. I'm going to be trying to land in a wheel-track in a field. I figure I've got the best chance of doing that with this bird.

Plus, I've got a laser-cut kit sent to me by a friend. ;) I couldn't even cut the plans for this bird in my build space. I can glue the pieces together, though! :)

clolsonus

The storch wing felt a little weak in the center when built as designed so I added a bit of reinforcement in the center (glued in a couple 3/8" hardwood sticks). So far it's been a wonderful flyer, super honest, no unexpected tricks, just flies beautifully, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited: