Building twin Spitfires

Wes Vasher

I crashed my first Spitfire so much I retired it to the dumpster, but I miss flying it. Now I'm building two more. One is going to my big brother for Christmas. I've been giving him my transmitter to fly my planes and he picked it right up and he really, really likes flying the spitfire. Going to paint them different colors so we can fly together.

photo.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    504.2 KB · Views: 20

Imprez

What an excellent idea for a christmas present, you are a good brother! This hobby is best when you have someone to fly with, I usually fly with my best friend and it's a lot of fun. We have also built our Spits together and I can recommend that for you and your brother as well for your next build, building together was almost as fun as flying.

Wes Vasher

What an excellent idea for a christmas present, you are a good brother! This hobby is best when you have someone to fly with, I usually fly with my best friend and it's a lot of fun. We have also built our Spits together and I can recommend that for you and your brother as well for your next build, building together was almost as fun as flying.

Exactly, we've been trying to build together but we both get too busy. So I decided to just go ahead and build one for him. When I go out to his place and fly, we just pass the transmitter back and forth. It's going to be so much better when we both have planes to fly.

triwia

I've been doing doing the same thing with my friends. I think I may have convinced a few of them to get transmitters and try these awesome scratch builds. I am actually building a versa wing for my girlfriends dad for christmas. He's getting a durafly corsair and a turnigy 9x for christmas. I'm building him one so he can make a crater with that instead. Either way I get someone else to fly with!

NewZee

I've been doing doing the same thing with my friends. I think I may have convinced a few of them to get transmitters and try these awesome scratch builds. I am actually building a versa wing for my girlfriends dad for christmas. He's getting a durafly corsair and a turnigy 9x for christmas. I'm building him one so he can make a crater with that instead. Either way I get someone else to fly with!

not to mention you make points with your girlfriends dad!...never hurts!

Wes Vasher

That's awesome! My Dad is getting my bro a FS-TH9X (which is what I have), same as the Turnigy 9X. Great transmitter for the money.

We're both going to have identical planes, down to every last nut and bolt. So we can find out who is the best pilot with some streamer combat.

triwia

That's awesome that you have others that are even the least bit interested in the hobby. My girlfriend is an aerospace engineer that hates airplanes!? I am hoping that I can get my friends interested once they see what i am doing, and what is possible.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That's awesome that you have others that are even the least bit interested in the hobby. My girlfriend is an aerospace engineer that hates airplanes!? I am hoping that I can get my friends interested once they see what i am doing, and what is possible.
How did that happen?

triwia

How did that happen?

I guess the reality of aerospace engineering entry level is dealing with a bunch of old fortran code and parsing sensor data. Porting fortran to C is a bummer when you are working on military contracts or, I guess anything really. The people who wrote the code that parses deprecated sensors for all sorts of applications are not exactly available for consulting, plus no one trusts anything but the fortran, so my guess is that you spend hours trying to track down inconsistencies in the output from two programs which really boils down to compiler differences.

The realities of testing, not designing and building airframes, are a bit monotonous. That's probably why they call it a job and pay you. Between you and me I would have reviewed sensor output for many years just to get the chance to be in on the skunkworks or JPL projects. SWMBO disagrees and hates everything that spits out data that has to have a standard deviation applied to it.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Definitely not the glamor side of Kelly's dream. But, I guess parsing has to be done by somebody and I agree about doing it to be part of some of those projects. But compiling code is sometimes a long way from the flight line... :/

Wes Vasher

I gave my wife the sticks when I had my swappable Telemaster flying... she liked it enough but she didn't geek out about it or anything. She's got a cameo and does vinyl cutting and crafty things.