Building without plans challenge

Captain Jay

Elite member
I love scratch building and seeing if it flys after. So here is my recent build. I call it "FRANKENJET". I have to install the control arms and paint it.
What's your scratch build look like???
Cheers and thanks for sharing...
IMG_20190814_1739348.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I love scratch building and seeing if it flys after. So here is my recent build. I call it "FRANKENJET". I have to install the control arms and paint it.
What's your scratch build look like???
Cheers and thanks for sharing...
View attachment 139415
What is the wing span and what size of EDF are you using out of curiosity... just to get scale perspective, the rug is deceiving lol

Captain Jay

Elite member
What is the wing span and what size of EDF are you using out of curiosity... just to get scale perspective, the rug is deceiving lol
The wing span is 28 inches and the edf is a 50mm 4300kv with 11 blades and powered by a 4S 1800 with a 40 amp esc. The maiden flight should be next week sometime.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
20190621_195658.jpg

This little hangar queen was my first DTFB build with no plans in mind and not a clue of what I was doing or even what I was supposed to do. And I say hangar queen cuz she never flew... flew up that is, flew down just fine. Crushed the nose beyond repair. This I think is when I realized I should be using flight tested Flite Test plans from here on out. Look at the wingspan on this one, she wanted to be a glider but ended up as a lawn dart.

Captain Jay

Elite member
View attachment 139416
This little hangar queen was my first DTFB build with no plans in mind and not a clue of what I was doing or even what I was supposed to do. And I say hangar queen cuz she never flew... flew up that is, flew down just fine. Crushed the nose beyond repair. This I think is when I realized I should be using flight tested Flite Test plans from here on out. Look at the wingspan on this one, she wanted to be a glider but ended up as a lawn dart.
How is the C of G on it? And how is the wing incidence? Tail heavy would give you that result and so would to much wing incidence. I like it and I think you should give it another go... when I build now I dont put any incidence what so ever. I just use a little more up elevator instead. Make the C of G 25 % back from the front of the wing... you could also cut 5" off each wing and be just fine... I bet it flys nice...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
How is the C of G on it? And how is the wing incidence? Tail heavy would give you that result and so would to much wing incidence. I like it and I think you should give it another go... when I build now I dont put any incidence what so ever. I just use a little more up elevator instead. Make the C of G 25 % back from the front of the wing... you could also cut 5" off each wing and be just fine... I bet it flys nice...
Yea bro she is donated to the trash long ago... and like I said, sans plans. Knowing what I know now yes I would have made it totally different but it was a learning experience. I pretty much mod everything I build now some way or another, be it for function or aesthetics they are never fully stock. Actually I tend to lean towards the plans from the forum here as beta builders design them and go custom from there, got bored with the common FT designs. Although I am lookin at doin a master series build or two here soon.

Have you been flying for awhile now

Captain Jay

Elite member
Yea bro she is donated to the trash long ago... and like I said, sans plans. Knowing what I know now yes I would have made it totally different but it was a learning experience. I pretty much mod everything I build now some way or another, be it for function or aesthetics they are never fully stock. Actually I tend to lean towards the plans from the forum here as beta builders design them and go custom from there, got bored with the common FT designs. Although I am lookin at doin a master series build or two here soon.

Have you been flying for awhile now
Ya, start with a few plans and modify as you go always works too. Ya I had 5 years experience about 12 years ago then left the hobby for school and music. I had 9 planes back then. Started up the hobby in January again. I sure missed it. My main plane is the Eflight PT-17 1100mm. And I do the flite test foam board stuff. I also have this old F15 puller from Great Planes I have to convert to electric one day and get in the air...
IMG_20190128_2000118.jpg
IMG_20190410_1646101.jpg
Resized_20190127_114248.jpeg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Ya, start with a few plans and modify as you go always works too. Ya I had 5 years experience about 12 years ago then left the hobby for school and music. I had 9 planes back then. Started up the hobby in January again. I sure missed it. My main plane is the Eflight PT-17 1100mm. And I do the flite test foam board stuff. I also have this old F15 puller from Great Planes I have to convert to electric one day and get in the air... View attachment 139418 View attachment 139419 View attachment 139420
How do you like flying the Zero? Is that a water bottle canopy on it? Classic FB ingenuity

This F15 looks good, Is it a mash up of FB and a store bought model? I ask because the tail looks like folded FB, But everything else from the TE forward looks like a kit build...

Captain Jay

Elite member
How do you like flying the Zero? Is that a water bottle canopy on it? Classic FB ingenuity

This F15 looks good, Is it a mash up of FB and a store bought model? I ask because the tail looks like folded FB, But everything else from the TE forward looks like a kit build...
The zero was a bullet!!! I say was because I broke the wing one day a month ago. I plan to build a new one. It was a Nerdnic drawing of his NNzero. And yes, the canopy was made from a 2 liter bottle of Orange Crush. Orange Crush has all smooth side unlike a coke bottle. Best choice for the application. The F15 is a Great Planes model. Full Balsa wood. It's 14 years old and has all gas set up. Over the next few weeks I will convert it to electric.
Oh ya, the writing on the side of the Zero means "Killer" in Japanese. Hahaha
On another note, what do you all use for hinge material. I've recently discovered that transparency film works great. For one, you can't rip it. And what I do is cut the pieces the size of hinge I want and poke holes in it where they will be inserted to the plane wing and alleron/rudder/elevator. Foam safe glue welds them in place and flows through the holes I poked... no more buying hinges for me... try it. My latest Frankenjet has them...

Last edited:

charlesrc2

Ya, start with a few plans and modify as you go always works too. Ya I had 5 years experience about 12 years ago then left the hobby for school and music. I had 9 planes back then. Started up the hobby in January again. I sure missed it. My main plane is the Eflight PT-17 1100mm. And I do the flite test foam board stuff. I also have this old F15 puller from Great Planes I have to convert to electric one day and get in the air... View attachment 139418 View attachment 139419 View attachment 139420
I had that F15 and I loved it. I thought of making a FT version of it.

PoorManRC

Master member
I really hope you don't give up on her. For a "No Plans Plane" it's a thing of beauty!! I'm sure she just needs tweaking.

I have been doing FT Foam Core Board Aircraft exclusively for over a year - and have never built one Stock either!! 😜

You're welcome to come check out one of my 3 latest Builds... I've got 3 great People adding input, but definitely welcome more. 😉👍👍

Captain Jay

Elite member
I really hope you don't give up on her. For a "No Plans Plane" it's a thing of beauty!! I'm sure she just needs tweaking.

I have been doing FT Foam Core Board Aircraft exclusively for over a year - and have never built one Stock either!! 😜

You're welcome to come check out one of my 3 latest Builds... I've got 3 great People adding input, but definitely welcome more. 😉👍👍
No, I'm not giving up... but there was a little dissatisfaction feeling today. Just have Try again. They don't all work out...
Where is your page at?