Bunch of 2212/1000kv and 2200mah 3S - What to build?

flyhigher

Hi, long time lurker here, but I have the "building bug" and a bunch of electronics left over from an old quad. The reason I am reaching out is: I have been having a heck of time finding plans for that setup. If any one out there has any experience with this please let me know! Thanks to all!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
You should be able to comfortably fly just about any plane that calls for a C pack motor, which is most of them. Your motors are between the smaller B and the larger C pack motors.

They won't be as fast, or have as much power, but should fly just fine. When I was just starting out I used recycled quad motors that had pretty much the same specs. Had very good luck with everything I put one in.

I think I stuck one of those motors in each of these; Baby Blender, FT-22, FT Duster, FT Otter, Versa Wing etc...

Pieliker96

Elite member
B17 / C-130? ;)
The way I see it, you could build 4 small planes, 2 medium planes, or one HEEEEUUUUGE plane.

EDIT:
Don't be intimidated by making your own plans. My 1/31.5 XB-70 was based off of a threeview.
Making your own plans is easy, if you're willing to spend some time with a CAD software.

Start with a box-style fuselage and go from there. Add formers and some cardstock for rounded edges and a little more detail, if you would like. :)

Jason has a whole series dedicated to designing in sketchup here.

Last edited:

flyhigher

thanks!!

thanks guys for your quick responses
localfiend - sweet, i just finished a ft-22, looking at the blender, so my wife will be happy that i dont have to buy anything for it:p
pieliker96 - i actually was a little intimidated by making my own plans, but starting with a box and adding formers seems like a good route. as far as a huge plane, how do you set up 4 escs for differential thrust? i know how to do two, but four? sounds like a lot fun.

edit: what about the batteries(2200mah 3s 20C)? is there a minimum wingspan recomendation?

Last edited:

Pieliker96

Elite member
4 escs in differential is the same as two, just treat 2 motors (per each side) as two motors. Wire them as you normally would for differential, with splitters instead of direct ESC connections.

With 4 escs, you would be best off wiring all four batteries in paralell, which would give 4x the capacity and possible amp draw for the same voltage.

There isn't really a minimum wingspan for a set weight, as there are many factors that contribute to the total surface area of the wing (camber, chord length, height, ect.) but there are standards for wing loading. As a general rule, the lighter the plane per given surface area, the better (or vice-versa, more wing area for the same weight). Light planes tend to have gentler stall characteristics and can fly slower, a common trait of trainers. Aim for ~15-25 oz/sq. ft for general to aerobatic flying.

As far as actual wingspan, smaller wingspan gives less surface area to rotate through the air, and results in a snappier and higher roll rate, and example being The Guinea Pig vs. The Pun Jet.

Glad I could help ;) .

Last edited: