Bungee catapult ... where do I put this build thread???

Wildthing

Legendary member
Also wear shoes incase you step on the wrong side of the pedal, don't want to put that spike through your foot. :D :D . Seriously though the eye protection is a good idea.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
All ready for launching on Sunday!!
IMG_20190510_194531766.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
Looking amazing! Why didn’t you add another spar on the high side of the bungee like 1/3 from the bottom could give you some extra strength to the catapult. Just a thought.

Can’t wait to see the video. Good luck dear.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Looking amazing! Why didn’t you add another spar on the high side of the bungee like 1/3 from the bottom could give you some extra strength to the catapult. Just a thought.

Can’t wait to see the video. Good luck dear.
The bungee travels straight down the middle so any cross bars could hamper it when it fly's off. There's not much strain on the frame so hopefully it will be fine. I said I'm sort of winging it as I go along and if it needs more bracing I'll try to add it.

Last edited:

jross

Nice work, @CarolineTyler. Been thinking about this a lot lately for consistent launches with the larger wings I'm trying to fly. Couple of questions. What did you use to hook the launcher to the plane? In relation to the CG, where did you place the hook? I have bungees and all the hardware excepting bits for the launch rack. Thinking I may use a folding plastic table instead but undecided.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Nice work, @CarolineTyler. Been thinking about this a lot lately for consistent launches with the larger wings I'm trying to fly. Couple of questions. What did you use to hook the launcher to the plane? In relation to the CG, where did you place the hook? I have bungees and all the hardware excepting bits for the launch rack. Thinking I may use a folding plastic table instead but undecided.
It's a plastic wall hook attached to a small ply plate glued to the plane. It should be around a quarter to a third of the way forward of the CofG and the nose.
15598000605474313300398920067721.jpg

joelspangler

I have read through a few articles on these and I like your design. One thing everyone seems to let out is speciifics on the bungee cord itself. The bungee straps i have for holding things on my trailer vary greatly in pull strength, so I would think that longer cords would vary too. Is there a specific spec I should be looking for?