Bungee catapult ... where do I put this build thread???

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Feet for the ramp with snap on pipe clamps, heavy duty pegs and a screw-in post for the other end of the bungee to attach to.
IMG_20190504_162146134.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
I wonder if you could do this even more simply? Why not a high-start type setup with a single bungee attached to a string. Anchor one side of the bungee to the ground, tie the other end to the string, and the final end of the string gets hooked on the aircraft. Walk backwards to stretch the bungee and then release when the tension is right. I've been wanting to try something like this but I don't have the appropriate bungee material.
That usually creates a straight into the ground launch. tried it before with balsa gliders.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Foot pedal made, just needs a coat of varnish on it to protect it from damp. This would have been SO MUCH easier if I had a drill press or a table saw :) :) I have on the basic of hand tools. Still it should work.
IMG_20190506_113025342.jpg IMG_20190506_112919861.jpg IMG_20190506_112905086.jpg IMG_20190506_112753435.jpg IMG_20190506_112800888.jpg

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Post testing reflections ...."why????? Oh why did I try this?". Hopefully not that one 😂😂😂
HAHAha...
No, I was expecting something more like... the post on the release needs to be angled more, or thicker, and the runners need an intermediate support.

But seriously, Please wear Eye protection on your testing. a failure on the wrong end of the bungee can send an eye injuring piece of steel right at you.

clolsonus

I actually know someone who lost an eye when a loading strap bungie let loose in the wrong direction. :-( Highstart bungies are lower energy spread across a longer distance, but still worth being super careful. I keep eye protection in my field box for that specific purpose.