Burning Thumbs

spazman

Hey everyone, thought I'd share one of my stories here.

As many of you probably know, the Bloody Micks "FunBat" is a great easy-to-build parkflyer. I've made several and they have always been great to me. Other than this one time, though.
It was just your average day, I was in my front yard testing out a new 3s setup and 1400kv motor on a FunBat. The thing flew great until my radio decided to do a major lockout on me. Of course, it had to do this just as I was coming in half throttle for a close fly-by. By the time I figured out the radio wasn't responding the plane was 10 feet in front of me doing at least 25mph. I made a quick duck but (stupid me) tried to catch the plane with my hand. The APC 8x6 cut right through my thumb and the thing kept on going. I actually had control of it now but didn't realize I was holding full down elevator. The thing nose-dived full throttle (I had also hit the left stick all the way up) and made a terrible sound as it hit my driveway. I thought it was all over so I went to go pick up the model. But to my dismay I saw smoke coming from the fuselage. I knew the LiPo had been punctured so I just stepped back and let the thing burn. Yes, by this time the battery actually "exploded" and was burning my nice new 3s FunBat down.
So by the end of the day I was left with a cut-up thumb, a pile of ashes and charred foam, and a radio I no longer trusted. Thank God I then got a Turnigy 9x.

spazman

It was an old 4 channel HobbyKing TX, and the 2.4gHz module had totally failed in it. It wouldn't output any kind of signal. With my Turnigy and FlySky 9x's I've had no problems whatsoever.

sandblaster

It was an old 4 channel HobbyKing TX, and the 2.4gHz module had totally failed in it. It wouldn't output any kind of signal. With my Turnigy and FlySky 9x's I've had no problems whatsoever.

Good excuse to update the old 4 channel. They do die with age.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I would not be surprised if any brand of receiver would give up after flying several combat missions ;-)
I am happy that nothing else was destroyed. I don´t think that an ama insurance (or any other) would have helped if the plane had put your (or your neighbors) house or car on fire when flying in the driveway. The thumb will heal i hope. You are in good company there ;-)

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Ouch! sound painful to watch and feel for everyone in your position.

Lets just hope the 9X works better with you.

spazman

I would not be surprised if any brand of receiver would give up after flying several combat missions ;-)
I am happy that nothing else was destroyed. I don´t think that an ama insurance (or any other) would have helped if the plane had put your (or your neighbors) house or car on fire when flying in the driveway. The thumb will heal i hope. You are in good company there ;-)
Thank God this was at my old house in Ohio where our nearest neighbor was 1/2 mile away, LOL!