Bush Plane Build Challenge II

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
So here it is with a coat of minwax and I'm thinking why haven't I done this before? LOL! Thinking that I'm just going to touch up my white spots on the center leading edge of wing and 2 spots on either side of the windshield with some black paint , hit the whole thing with some steel wool and give it another coat of the Minwax. That black foamboard looks so awesome with a coat of that stuff.
IMG_20210511_210510568.jpg
IMG_20210511_210111974.jpg

So here it is with a coat of minwax and I'm thinking why haven't I done this before? LOL! Thinking that I'm just going to touch up my white spots on the center leading edge of wing and 2 spots on either side of the windshield with some black paint , hit the whole thing with some steel wool and give it another coat of the Minwax. That black foamboard looks so awesome with a coat of that stuff. View attachment 200068 View attachment 200069
Break a leg! (That translates to "don't crash".)

william Metge

So here it is with a coat of minwax and I'm thinking why haven't I done this before? LOL! Thinking that I'm just going to touch up my white spots on the center leading edge of wing and 2 spots on either side of the windshield with some black paint , hit the whole thing with some steel wool and give it another coat of the Minwax. That black foamboard looks so awesome with a coat of that stuff. View attachment 200068 View attachment 200069
Well, That is not good for me, I am still working on glueing the wing and designing the nose. Also on the side I am doing a special landing gear system.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I haven’t worked on my plane in a while but today I designed and built a proof of concept wingtip to see if everything would build and look ok. Normally I would just make the whole wing but this one is a bit fancier than any other that I have designed and it uses build techniques that I haven’t seen yet. The whole thing is undercambered, but in a way that only adds extra strength and will allow me to remove spar material and make it lighter while producing more lift. It also has a wall/drooped wingtip thing at the end of the wing that should help with some “stuff”. I’ll see if I can post pics soon.
Edit: Also, compared to my last plane this will have a completely redesigned wing with an improved fuse and tail. I’m basically looking over my findings from the last one and just making this plane better in some aspects.

quorneng

Master member
I am still musing over whether to enter.
I can make a reasonable attempt at everything but the payload challenge.
I fly from a pretty bumpy grass field over which I have no control as to its state so just taking off and landing can be quite a challenge let alone with an added load. I suspect I would have to go super size (1/4 scale? ) before the grass length would be relatively insignificant.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I fly from a pretty bumpy grass field over which I have no control as to its state so just taking off and landing can be quite a challenge let alone with an added load. I suspect I would have to go super size (1/4 scale? ) before the grass length would be relatively insignificant.
how do they make planes like this:GIANT REMOTE CONTROLLED PIPER CUB INDOOR LIGHTWEIGHT MODEL AIRPLANE IN FLIGHT / Wels Austria 2017 - YouTube be so light? with a high power motor, it would be ideal for this challenge.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
how do they make planes like this:GIANT REMOTE CONTROLLED PIPER CUB INDOOR LIGHTWEIGHT MODEL AIRPLANE IN FLIGHT / Wels Austria 2017 - YouTube be so light? with a high power motor, it would be ideal for this challenge.
Smaller and lighter power system and super light building materials and techniques. Imo this actually won't be too good for the challenge because the plane most likely wouldn't be able to lift much, and to get the plane so light you are probably sacrificing in battery size and flight time. In terms of lifting, I say it wouldn't lift much because these planes aren't too much stronger than they need to be. This is combined with the fact that the payload challenge really tests a plane's durability, maybe even more than the actual durability one. Also, you won't have more power than you need with one of these, which will also limit the payload capacity.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I have a "sea duck" that ive done a lot of pretty long flights with. Has a ton if cool electronics and when i put in all the batteries ive been as heavy as 7 lbs. I take off and land on the belly with little aluminum skis (re purposed dollar store stuff)

quorneng

Master member
Well now lets see.
Light, yes. Sub 250 g
Strong ? I have test loaded the wings to well over twice the planes flying weight.
Endurance? It has flown for well over 30 minutes. My target is to take off, circle, land and execute a ground 360 all within 30 seconds.
Now if only I had somewhere to take off with that 100% payload! ;)
Hmmm

Piotrsko

Master member
Well, might as well just give the award to @quorneng if he enters.

The runway problem can be solved by carpet laid down backing side up

The indoor cub looks more like a clipper

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Well now lets see.
Light, yes. Sub 250 g
Strong ? I have test loaded the wings to well over twice the planes flying weight.
Endurance? It has flown for well over 30 minutes. My target is to take off, circle, land and execute a ground 360 all within 30 seconds.
Now if only I had somewhere to take off with that 100% payload! ;)
Hmmm
and what plane is this? pic?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
One thing to consider, you dont have to have a win in all 3 categorizes to win the competition. You can make a good showing in each and still have a good shot at the win without taking first in the payload challenge...