Bush Plane Build Challenge II

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
It does fly but there is something wrong with that motor. It is not running continuously, unless of course you are opening and closing the throttle all the time!
part of those "revs" were me aswell.... i was kinda terrified when it first took of.... i was not expecting that to happen

quorneng

Master member
I am pretty certain part of the problem you were having was because the motor was cutting out.
Most planes with that sort of configuration will tend to climb on full power and have quite a steep glide power off. Un controlled motor on /off will make it challenging to fly even if everything was 'trimmed out' correctly. :eek:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I am pretty certain part of the problem you were having was because the motor was cutting out.
Most planes with that sort of configuration will tend to climb on full power and have quite a steep glide power off. Un controlled motor on /off will make it challenging to fly even if everything was 'trimmed out' correctly. :eek:
boy it did climb at full power... but it had a reasonable glide slope

Raccoonworks

Save your Trash!! Myles
Hey all! So I have some bad news. Because of a tight schedule between work and a long vacation along with mechanical boondoggles involving the plane, I'm gonna have to drop out of the competition. The biggest issue I have is that the plane will roll left with no control input, which had a hand in an abrupt nose landing as seen by the carnage. I've checked the motor mount to see if it was tilted but it was fine. I also checked to see if the tail or wing were cockeyed but nothing wrong their either. I've run both 9X6 and 10X7 props on it with no problems before. I wish you all the best and hopefully I can join in next time for the full duration.
C-180 carnage.jpg

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hey all! So I have some bad news. Because of a tight schedule between work and a long vacation along with mechanical boondoggles involving the plane, I'm gonna have to drop out of the competition. The biggest issue I have is that the plane will roll left with no control input, which had a hand in an abrupt nose landing as seen by the carnage. I've checked the motor mount to see if it was tilted but it was fine. I also checked to see if the tail or wing were cockeyed but nothing wrong their either. I've run both 9X6 and 10X7 props on it with no problems before. I wish you all the best and hopefully I can join in next time for the full duration. View attachment 202957
could it have been due to the motor torque? did you have a thrust angle on the motor??

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Planes coming along alright!
I think I should have made a box out of foam instead of using just a flat price of insulation board but…
All the stores are out of foam board! I don’t know what to do! View attachment 203018
Power pack F with 30A ESC, should be a powerful aircraft when it’s done.
have you flown any planes before???

just remember that increasing the size of the esc doesn't increase your power. obviously there is a minimum size for the esc.....
on a power pack F they normally use a 20a esc....

Ketchup

4s mini mustang

just remember that increasing the size of the esc doesn't increase your power. obviously there is a minimum size for the esc.....
I think he was just saying that the power pack F is pretty powerful (which it is) and the plane will have a lot of power. The way I read it he wasn't saying that the bigger ESC would make it any more powerful.
A 30 amp ESC shouldn't hurt either. Actually @John (ACEPILOT109), it may open up the option to use a 4s if done right :sneaky:.

I think he was just saying that the power pack F is pretty powerful (which it is) and the plane will have a lot of power. The way I read it he wasn't saying that the bigger ESC would make it any more powerful.
A 30 amp ESC shouldn't hurt either. Actually @John (ACEPILOT109), it may open up the option to use a 4s if done right :sneaky:.
Right.
And here's a helpful tip: If you replace that shrink wrap on the ESC and write "50A" on it you can use it on larger motors/more cells.

Yes that is what I meant, this plane would normally have somthing like a A motor but I’m putting an F to make it more powerful. I wasn’t very clear on what I meant by that

She is ready to fly!

IMG_4291.JPG

Not the most FT style of aircraft but I did what I could with the lack of foam in my area. The wings are made out of foam I don't normally use as its more than 2 times heavier but it was all I had. I also couldn't make a very good looking cockpit area so I just used blue foam to keep it simple.
The wings give the aircraft over 85 grams of extra weight! I wish I had my normal Adams Ready Board! that stresses the landing gear a lot too.
Should be able to maiden her tomorrow and post that video.

(if foam comes back before the challenge ends, I will rebuild the aircraft completely and make it FT style but for now this is the best I can do)

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member