Bush Plane Build Challenge II

quorneng

Master member
Its this one.
17JUL20a.JPG

A pretty near scale 40" span Super Cub but it is not made of foam board so arguably its cheating. :eek:
It uses a conventional 'built up' structure but from 2 mm Depron sheet, the original stiff Depron that is no longer available. The only other materials are balsa for the wing structs, wire for the undercarriage and some small bits of acetate sheet. Even the wheels are Depron. It has four 3.7 g servos although the rudder is connected to the aileron channel so it is flown 3ch bank and yank.
A picture of it supported just by its wing tips with 550 g of steel blocks on the top of the fuselage.
12gLload.JPG

I'm not saying it would fly like that but it might with a single 242 g block, its normal flying weight, fixed under the fuselage between the UC legs.
Maybe!

william Metge

Its this one.
View attachment 200123
A pretty near scale 40" span Super Cub but it is not made of foam board so arguably its cheating. :eek:
It uses a conventional 'built up' structure but from 2 mm Depron sheet, the original stiff Depron that is no longer available. The only other materials are balsa for the wing structs, wire for the undercarriage and some small bits of acetate sheet. Even the wheels are Depron. It has four 3.7 g servos although the rudder is connected to the aileron channel so it is flown 3ch bank and yank.
A picture of it supported just by its wing tips with 550 g of steel blocks on the top of the fuselage.
View attachment 200124
I'm not saying it would fly like that but it might with a single 242 g block, its normal flying weight, fixed under the fuselage between the UC legs.
Maybe!
Wow! Gorgeous little cub, are their plans for it?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I just wanted to post a few pics of my wingtip thingy so here they are:
760F93A4-5E80-460D-BD06-EEF58F8B8A48.jpeg
E1189C41-03B6-4D70-8063-3A199A5A04C7.jpeg
80CF6144-24BC-43FB-93CB-943F138C8B08.jpeg
EF1A2745-8F9A-44CC-931A-66A73FC92CAE.jpeg

Lemme know what you guys think. I feel like I will have to mount it at a pretty low angle of attack (like 2-5 degrees) so that it doesn’t stall too early. I am still concerned with its stall characteristics though and I have no idea how it will behave.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Its this one.
View attachment 200123
View attachment 200124
Maybe!
nice!

quorneng

Master member
I will not be entering the Bush Plane Challenge.
I flew the Super Cub today in almost ideal conditions and I can indeed repeatedly take off, circle and land in 20 seconds but the state of my field makes it impossible to do a 360 or a 180 and more often than not even land without nosing over. The problem is the only way to turn on the ground is to lift the tail and use the rudder. The only way to move at all is to use full power with full up elevator.
Long grass, Dandelions and a sub 250 g plane really don't mix!
To mis quote from Jaws "I need a bigger plane".
Oh well never mind, had a nice 23 minute flight as well.:)

cyclone3350

Master member
william Metge
Sorry no plans as such as it was build from this 3 view suitably 'blown up' to the required size.
View attachment 200169
There are a few fuselage sections but the detail of the internal structure was rather made up as I went along.

I used this same 3 view to build this little depron indoor flyer.

Attachments

• IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0