Bush plane build challenge

mdcerdan

Elite member
I finally decided to go mini with the IA46 Ranquel. Made a 1 meter long wing with some dihedral, a new fuselage out of styrofoam covered with paper and a set of wheels. My target is 450g AUW with 1300mA battery. Looking good so far.
20201015_142519.jpg
20201015_141319.jpg

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
Wasnt quite 60 gusts, but ive done some windy days with my micros! Lol

That was an excellant sample of what happens when you use floats. The same applies with skis, so much additional drag that gusty winds control the flight even over the AS3X help.

Another point to make if using skis rather than a float, pick a plane that uses a tail wheel(hence only 2 skis rather than an additional drag of a nose wheel setup) and it will reduce your problems flying in gusty winds. Found out a Q-500 pylon racer was an excellant model for skis in all conditions. Added point, if you are flying in snow or ice, put a narrow strip of wood(1/8 by 1/8) down the length of the bottom of the ski, it will help your takeoffs and landings.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
That was an excellant sample of what happens when you use floats. The same applies with skis, so much additional drag that gusty winds control the flight even over the AS3X help.

Another point to make if using skis rather than a float, pick a plane that uses a tail wheel(hence only 2 skis rather than an additional drag of a nose wheel setup) and it will reduce your problems flying in gusty winds. Found out a Q-500 pylon racer was an excellant model for skis in all conditions. Added point, if you are flying in snow or ice, put a narrow strip of wood(1/8 by 1/8) down the length of the bottom of the ski, it will help your takeoffs and landings.
I used floats to fly all last winter but i think im going to get some skis made this winter. Ive been thinking of getting a 3d printer for a while, now that i had to get a new PC it seems like its a good time to learn!

onpoint6823

I have made the decision that I am going to leave the challenge. It is hard for me to find the inspiration to build a bush plane because the last 4 attempts have failed horribly. Sorry of this causes and inconvenience to anyone.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I have made the decision that I am going to leave the challenge. It is hard for me to find the inspiration to build a bush plane because the last 4 attempts have failed horribly. Sorry of this causes and inconvenience to anyone.
No harm to anyone else, but no need to bail out just yet! There's lots of time left to build! Just with my experience so far, I'm suspecting that the simpler plans will actually be the top contenders in this contest. I had big hopes for my "scrappy" build but this lightly modified bushwacker is going to be hard to beat!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Done with the landing gear. I think is strong enough to withstand everything. I guess it now qualify as a bush plane.

that should be plenty strong at that size! The gear legs on my bird only have a single wire re-enforced by a bit of foam and packing tape and they've held up great so far, well over 300 landings.

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Almost done! :D Just needs some landing gear and pushrods. And I have to learn how to program a flaperon mix. But other than those (kinda important) things, it's ready to fly!

Looks great!

It took me a while to get a good mix on my build. I wasn't sure what combination would work best so I had several options programmed into a couple switches so I could try them out as I flew.

I found that a full flapperon mix with a lot of differential was best. Then I blended in more "Flap" for the inner ailerons when I "added flaps" Worked like a charm!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I'm basically ready to start cutting and building my fuselage. I just need to make some plywood strengthening thingies for my main gear and a tail skid. I do have a question though. I wanted to get plywood that I can also use later for firewalls, which are 2.5mm from FT, but I can only find 3mm ply. Do you think that the extra half mm will cause problems with motor mounting? I'm mainly worried about The screws not being long enough, but they should work right? Also where do you guys get thin ply?
Edit: I hope it's ok for me to post this question here. I didn't know if I should make another thread or not, and the question is for a plane that will be competing so... But yeah I hope I'm good.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm basically ready to start cutting and building my fuselage. I just need to make some plywood strengthening thingies for my main gear and a tail skid. I do have a question though. I wanted to get plywood that I can also use later for firewalls, which are 2.5mm from FT, but I can only find 3mm ply. Do you think that the extra half mm will cause problems with motor mounting? I'm mainly worried about The screws not being long enough, but they should work right? Also where do you guys get thin ply?
Edit: I hope it's ok for me to post this question here. I didn't know if I should make another thread or not, and the question is for a plane that will be competing so... But yeah I hope I'm good.
3mm should work just fine. The FT firewalls are a little too thin IMO.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@Hondo76251 got my official entry model for the contest, or one of them if we are allowed to enter more then one. This will be the one that will be my one battery landings and the land anywhere challenges for sure. Payload might be another entry
20201015_213125.jpg
20201015_213156.jpg
20201015_213214.jpg

Its a lighter version of the same plane I made before. This one is just two layers where the last one what three, paper is removed in between the layers, and gorilla glue was used instead of HG for the lamination. HG was used to put the pieces together where needed, I lightened up the electronics and dropping the external BEC, switched out for a higher rated ESC, fingers crossed.

Goin with just VG's all the way across, not sure if I am sold on the LE slats yet. The wing chord is slightly longer with the surface area of the flaps has increased some. There is still the option of using flaperons along with the flaps as well. Differential was added to the ailerons and coordinated rudder on low rates, hoping that's all I'll need for the one batt challenge. Overall I think the airframe alone is 20-30% lighter, I have a scale coming in the mail so I will know for sure then.

Now waiting for the right weather...

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@Hondo76251 if we are allowed to enter more then one. This will be the one that will be my one battery landings and the land anywhere challenges for sure. Payload might be another entry

Multiple entries are more than welcome, however, each entry has to complete all 3 challenges... it is possible, in theory, for one builder to have 3 entries and come away 1st 2nd and 3rd 😉

The payload part is based on the weight of the craft so your ultra light frame is actually a great way to go. If it weighs 200 grams (has to do one flight at that weight, then add the payload, then make the loaded flight) and can lift an additional 250 grams, a total gross weight of 450 grams, it would beat a plane that weighs 800 grams and has payload of 500 grams even though the larger plane has twice the payload. This method actually favors smaller craft.

I'm actually curious to see what peoples totals are going to be. I put li ion batteries in one of my 24" chuck gliders, an airframe that typically weighs less than 150 grams. I was going for an endurance sub 250gram plane so i had as many batteries as i thought it could hold. Turns out it weiged over 300! It flew just fine. That would be a be a payload of over 100% and and it wasnt even made for a payload challenge!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I have some 5mm plywood from the local hardware store i have used before with no ill effects. I just had to mount the battery a bit farther back. In fact, thats probably what ill use on scappy.

This thread is for anything related to the challenge, no need to start another. Its fun that we are all posting updates on our progress here!

Looking forward to seeing her come together!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
With any luck the wind will have subsided by morning. I plan to get a final go at the landing challenge and maybe even a try at the payload, at least enough to get an example video made...

mdcerdan

Elite member
Question about rules. Are we allowed to check battery voltage with a battery tester in the take off and landing part of the challenge?