• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Bush plane build challenge

The Ranquel is done. AUW is 480g, 30 grams more than my target weight. The landing gear is overkill for this little bird and responsible for the excess weight.

IA46 Ranquel specs.
Wingspan 1000mm / 39.37in
Wing area 16.5dm2 / 1.776ft2
Wing loading 29g/dm2 / 9.5oz/ft2
Weight 480g 16.9oz
Battery 3S 1300mAh
3 channels: rudder, elevator, throttle.
20201016_214040.jpg
 
Last edited:
Landing gear is done! :) Hopefully the weather will still be decent tomorrow, and I can get in a quick maiden.
IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG


I used FT's 2.6mm medium wire, but it was really hard to bend. Is this normal for that stuff? I might have to go back to cannibalizing coat hangars, or maybe I just don't have the right tools. Anyway, what do you guys use?
 
Last edited:
I use 2.25mm piano wire but not as a single wire. I always make it like this.

20201017_111124.jpg
20201017_111146.jpg
20201017_111156.jpg


In this little plane the back wire is 1.5mm and the front wire is 2.25mm. It is fixed to a wood strip in the bottom of the fuselage with a brace and screws.
Both wires can be joined with zip ties, soldered or tied with heavy fishing line coated with CA like mine. Done the same in my larger birds and works like a charm. Never had a broken or bended gear.
 
Landing gear is done! :) Hopefully the weather will still be decent tomorrow, and I can get in a quick maiden.
View attachment 181207
View attachment 181208

I used FT's 2.6mm medium wire, but it was really hard to bend. Is this normal for that stuff? I might have to go back to cannibalizing coat hangars, or maybe I just don't have the right tools. Anyway, what do you guys use?
That looks great!!
 
I made a new set of narrow wheels for the Ranquel because I need to save a few grams here an there. So I took a few pictures of the process to share with you guys.
First I cut a few discs of 3mm plywood and mount them on the lathe to clean the edges.
20201018_104202.jpg

20201018_104237.jpg
20201018_110127.jpg


With the hot wire cutter I made the 66mm diameter wheel out of 17mm styrofoam board. Glued one plywood disc on the center with white glue. With a 6mm wooden dowel I cut the axle and bored a 2.25mm hole for the landing gear wire. Glued to other plywood disc with CA and then to the styrofoam wheel.
20201018_111421.jpg
20201018_111807.jpg

20201018_112353.jpg
20201018_111925.jpg

Last step is to cover the styrofoam with 1mm EVA rubber and trim the excess once dry.
20201018_131622.jpg
20201018_131827.jpg

Each wheel is 69mm in diameter, 20mm wide and weights 6g.
I saved 4 grams with the new wheels. I can save an extra 5g if I solder the motor wires instead of using banana plugs.
 
Last edited: