Bush Plane Challenge III, 2022

SSgt Duramax

who needs wheels just enter ur uav
I figure i can shorten the take off roll by a few feet by not dragging a long 4 foot fuselage on the ground. Put dual 2217s on it and an aluminum spar with 4s and flaps. With a 3:1 thrust to weight ratio it would be insane. But that depends on me not being too lazy to change the motors.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
VTOL is not STOL correct?
yeah good point... just like in the real backcountry VTOL is cheating. I guess it is up to @Hondo76251 though

Yeah, how do we make that distinction? Hmm...

A good bush plane can darn near hang on the prop and float in, and at this scale they can darn sure hover with a good pilot. Pretty sure we safely say no quads or helicopters. Has to have wings, but would a tilt rotor count then?

Nothing in the contest is specifically judging the length of field required, more cargo capacity, durability, endurance, and pilot skill, so with that in mind lets just say it has to have wings and achieve wing lifted (fwd) flight with the payload challenge. The take off and landing would be the same far as i can figure, Tilt rotor is no distinct advantage on that. Take off however you like, fly a pattern, land however you like, taxi and do a 180, repeat 20 times.

So in summary. It has to have wings and it has to use the wings in fwd flight for the payload to count. Hows that sound?

SSgt Duramax

A good bush plane can darn near hang on the prop and float in, and at this scale they can darn sure hover with a good pilot. Pretty sure we safely say no quads or helicopters. Has to have wings, but would a tilt rotor count then?

Nothing in the contest is specifically judging the length of field required, more cargo capacity, durability, endurance, and pilot skill, so with that in mind lets just say it has to have wings and achieve wing lifted (fwd) flight with the payload challenge. The take off and landing would be the same far as i can figure, Tilt rotor is no distinct advantage on that. Take off however you like, fly a pattern, land however you like, taxi and do a 180, repeat 20 times.

So in summary. It has to have wings and it has to use the wings in fwd flight for the payload to count. Hows that sound?
Sounds good to me. I'll enter my design. I need to put wheels and some way to steer, lol.

20220319_185214.jpg

Taildragger

Legendary member

Sounds good. Now about the payload challenge, has any plane in past challenges actually made 1:1 payload ratio?