Bush Plane Challenge III - The Timber Scout

Beaver5150

My back yard bashing is done with 20" to 30" stuff, though most of that is with chuck glider conversions.

I have used the FT Beaver a time or two:

But I've been working on some sort of foamboard airframe with the same sort of bonsai proximity flying I like to do in mind.
You had to say that.... I was leaning toward Dehavilland Beaver!

AgentC

Elite member
So I've been having little success with the very twitchy Timber Scout renditions.
I've actually flown and had more fun and flight-time with the original 3-channel prototype than all the subsequent models put together.

It's still going strong, with multiple crashes to it's name, and lots of glue and fixes that's kept it in the air.

So I've taken 5 steps back in hopes to get this new rendition more successful:
Version 2.1 has been built. It's more like the Mini Scout than UMX Timber, but that's not really a bad thing, I think.
  1. I've made weak-point #1 (nose-to-cockpit transition area) straight and not angled-in toward the motor. This has allowed doublers inside for extra strength, too.
  2. The Mini Scout wing returns, just more straight (boxy) on the outside edge.
  3. Thrown together with hot glue (liberally) and using very thick BBQ skewers because I'm not too phased about weight at the moment, more on structural design and having it able to fly and survive my heavy high-speed vertical landings. Weight still comes in at less than 215g AUW before lipo is added. If this is successful, I'm pretty sure I can get it under 200g with all electronics before battery weight is added.
IMG_20220527_224158.jpg IMG_20220527_224057.jpg
Will maiden it this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Last edited: