Bushwacker, or Simple Cub?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
So...I'm trying to do something nice for two girls who have been coming out for our flight training; they've been kicking butt and picking up the flying like you wouldn't believe. Their mom is wanting them to get into it and keep flying, but she's also leery of letting them have a nicer plane, and I've got a bunch of parts still left over from my father's passing, so I was going to just build them a plane to give them. :)

Now, here comes the difficult part - choosing a plane. :) In our club, we have a fleet of Horizon Hobby Apprentices that we fly, either an S15e or an STS. They've all been configured to fly without SAFE, so they can learn to fly without the "crutch" that SAFE offers, and they should have no problem picking up one of the planes FT runs with. They're interested in combat, which flies with a group of Versa Wings, but I don't feel like that's a good first plane for them, transitioning from the high wing Apprentice to a plane that's funky for hand launches.

So, I'm kind of torn between two planes to build - either the Bushwacker (sans flaps), or the Simple Cub (with ailerons). The main reason for these planes is that they're relatively the same size as the Apprentice, they're high wing with similar characteristics to the Apprentice, they're larger planes and easy to see vs. the Mighty Mini series, they can take the wing off so it's easier to transport, similar to the Apprentice, and lastly, I have everything to build one of these planes. :)

Also, I'm trying to pick a plane that would be relatively easy to rebuild when it crashes (because I KNOW that's going to happen at some point), so that the kids and the dad have something to work through should it get wrecked; I figure these two planes would be good planes to consider because of their characteristics and ease of build.

So, between these two planes, which would you pick? I'm torn, because I know both planes are good planes, I've flown both, and know the characteristics of both; I'm just torn on these two planes and figured I'd throw it out there for an opinion since I can't seem to choose. :)

whackflyer

Master member
So...I'm trying to do something nice for two girls who have been coming out for our flight training; they've been kicking butt and picking up the flying like you wouldn't believe. Their mom is wanting them to get into it and keep flying, but she's also leery of letting them have a nicer plane, and I've got a bunch of parts still left over from my father's passing, so I was going to just build them a plane to give them. :)

Now, here comes the difficult part - choosing a plane. :) In our club, we have a fleet of Horizon Hobby Apprentices that we fly, either an S15e or an STS. They've all been configured to fly without SAFE, so they can learn to fly without the "crutch" that SAFE offers, and they should have no problem picking up one of the planes FT runs with. They're interested in combat, which flies with a group of Versa Wings, but I don't feel like that's a good first plane for them, transitioning from the high wing Apprentice to a plane that's funky for hand launches.

So, I'm kind of torn between two planes to build - either the Bushwacker (sans flaps), or the Simple Cub (with ailerons). The main reason for these planes is that they're relatively the same size as the Apprentice, they're high wing with similar characteristics to the Apprentice, they're larger planes and easy to see vs. the Mighty Mini series, they can take the wing off so it's easier to transport, similar to the Apprentice, and lastly, I have everything to build one of these planes. :)

Also, I'm trying to pick a plane that would be relatively easy to rebuild when it crashes (because I KNOW that's going to happen at some point), so that the kids and the dad have something to work through should it get wrecked; I figure these two planes would be good planes to consider because of their characteristics and ease of build.

So, between these two planes, which would you pick? I'm torn, because I know both planes are good planes, I've flown both, and know the characteristics of both; I'm just torn on these two planes and figured I'd throw it out there for an opinion since I can't seem to choose. :)
Two words: Simple Scout

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Build one of them a cub and one of them a cub! If they are using 2200 3s packs I would definitely say bushwacker as the cub just doesn't perform as well with the extra weight.

sprzout

Mentor
Build one of them a cub and one of them a cub! If they are using 2200 3s packs I would definitely say bushwacker as the cub just doesn't perform as well with the extra weight.

True...Cub WILL fly with 3s 2200s, but they're more prone to being nose heavy with that setup. And if they decide they want to do combat later with the Versa Wing, we fly with 3S 2200s, it'd be simple to carry those same battery packs over.

sprzout

Mentor
Im a big fan of the bushwacker. Seems pretty repairable too in my experience.

Agreed, pretty simple to repair. Only thing I'm not wild about are the wheels; I've had issues with getting the foam wheels to roll, even with the 3D printed hubs I've made for them. But, other than that, I'm a fan of it, despite people like Peter Sripol's videos saying they're not as easy to fly as some other planes.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Agreed, pretty simple to repair. Only thing I'm not wild about are the wheels; I've had issues with getting the foam wheels to roll, even with the 3D printed hubs I've made for them. But, other than that, I'm a fan of it, despite people like Peter Sripol's videos saying they're not as easy to fly as some other planes.
Ive had good luck with just using chunks of old rulers with nice holes drilled in them. For more durability (like my bush-plane-challenge BW) i add these little guys: flanged nylon bushings

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MND885G/?tag=lstir-20

My local hardware store sells them, but you can find them online too.

Of the couple Bushwackers ive built, i like my long wing ones the best. With no other modifications to the wing, simply adding a couple inches to each side makes it one of the best trainers in the FT lineup...

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
BUSHWACKER every time awesome plane, just finished upgrading mine now to a bigger beefy motor. It flew like a Kitten before on a 2215/09 1180kv, I have flaps too ideal for STOL or just slowing things down.
Its now become my favorite FT plane, take it with me every time I go flying at the club, I love it and will be building a second in the future.
Add just a touch of dihedral and it makes a great trainer.

sprzout

Mentor
Ive had good luck with just using chunks of old rulers with nice holes drilled in them. For more durability (like my bush-plane-challenge BW) i add these little guys: flanged nylon bushings

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MND885G/?tag=lstir-20

My local hardware store sells them, but you can find them online too.

Of the couple Bushwackers ive built, i like my long wing ones the best. With no other modifications to the wing, simply adding a couple inches to each side makes it one of the best trainers in the FT lineup...

I'll have to give the nylon bushings a try; I have to go hunt down some nylon screws anyway for my Strix Goblin canopy latch fix, and these bushings are likely going to be in the same hardware drawer or right next to it. :)

As for the Bushwacker being a trainer, I ABSOLUTELY agree with that. Only difference that some people may find being a "problem" is that they don't have as good a glide ratio as some other planes out there, but they're still really easy to fly!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
and these bushings are likely going to be in the same hardware drawer or right next to it. :)

Thats the ones! ;)

Only difference that some people may find being a "problem" is that they don't have as good a glide ratio as some other planes out there, but they're still really easy to fly!

True, they do have a bit of drag. For this kind of a plane though I don't really mind that so much. You come in with a bit more throttle and sort of fly it to the ground. When you cut the power she sets down right where you want. Makes it easier to learn to land with IMHO. Sometimes its hard to spot land the real floaty ones because they just keep flying and flying... and flying lol

sprzout

Mentor
Thats the ones! ;)

True, they do have a bit of drag. For this kind of a plane though I don't really mind that so much. You come in with a bit more throttle and sort of fly it to the ground. When you cut the power she sets down right where you want. Makes it easier to learn to land with IMHO. Sometimes its hard to spot land the real floaty ones because they just keep flying and flying... and flying lol

EXACTLY. :) It's a lot like flying my UMX and 1.5m Timber - keep the airspeed up a bit, drift it in, and once the wheels make contact, cut the throttle for it to set down, nice and easy. :)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I'll have to give the nylon bushings a try; I have to go hunt down some nylon screws anyway for my Strix Goblin canopy latch fix, and these bushings are likely going to be in the same hardware drawer or right next to it. :)

As for the Bushwacker being a trainer, I ABSOLUTELY agree with that. Only difference that some people may find being a "problem" is that they don't have as good a glide ratio as some other planes out there, but they're still really easy to fly!
Personally never had issues with mine gliding.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Yours must have stolen it’s gliding ability from the simple stick. :):ROFLMAO:
The puzzling thing with the Simple Stick it takes off perfect, half throttle it cruises around the sky level no correction. Yet cut that throttle it heads for the ground ? It doesn't feel nose heavy and I used the CG you suggested.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The puzzling thing with the Simple Stick it takes off perfect, half throttle it cruises around the sky level no correction. Yet cut that throttle it heads for the ground ? It doesn't feel nose heavy and I used the CG you suggested.
That really is weird. I would say shift the cg back a little and see how that is.