Bushwacker Wheel Replacement Tips?

nickieffo

Hey y'all,

I think my foam wheels have (dutifully) run their course - I'm looking to replace them with some basic large wheels. What's your experience replacing wheels on the Bushwacker?

What do you think of these? They're the same diameter as the foam wheels and a bit less wide (which I'm okay with - the landing wire that came with my BW kit was an inch too short, so I'm already playing with less room). Awesome scale look. I don't know if weight would be an issue - I'm not looking to do much advanced 3D work, and I already fly a 1300 mah. My intuition is I have some room for play there.

I worry most about the axle diameter, which is 4mm. Anyone know if this is big enough/too big for the BW landing wire?

Thanks everyone!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have not had any experience with the wheels you are looking at. They look like they will work to me.

Tonero311

Ordering up a set of 90mm wheels for my bushwacker. Going to modify the landing gear though, just doesn't seem like it'll survive a single dumb thumb landing that I will throw at it, at least at first while i get to know the airframe.
Those wheels seem a bit heavy to me to be honest. I'll post up something here similar to ones I'm about to order. Yh8nk they are quite a bit lighter.

Tonero311

These ones in the pics are 21.5g each.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190613-112401_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-112401_eBay.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 0

nickieffo

These ones in the pics are 21.5g each.

Ooh, those look good (and light).

I ended up ordering the Dubros - I’d like to fly this weekend with them so I thought it’s worth dropping the money. If they don’t work on this, I’ll keep them for another project. The Dubros are certainly heavier than your option.

I’ll give everyone an update in a couple days.

Seahunter

Hey y'all,

I think my foam wheels have (dutifully) run their course - I'm looking to replace them with some basic large wheels. What's your experience replacing wheels on the Bushwacker?

What do you think of these? They're the same diameter as the foam wheels and a bit less wide (which I'm okay with - the landing wire that came with my BW kit was an inch too short, so I'm already playing with less room). Awesome scale look. I don't know if weight would be an issue - I'm not looking to do much advanced 3D work, and I already fly a 1300 mah. My intuition is I have some room for play there.

I worry most about the axle diameter, which is 4mm. Anyone know if this is big enough/too big for the BW landing wire?

Thanks everyone!
I have a set of those dubro inflatable wheels, they are great in that you can run them soft to reduce shock bounce on landings like a true stol, but I've never used them on an electric light airframe model, only on the heavier nitro models back in the day! If you can set your CG and get good balance, they should be fine. The decals are from my printer and put on with ModPodge, the bushwacker logo was done on notepad. Keep us posted Fred :)

Seahunter

Also, ModPodge! Would have never thought of that. Brilliant
After printing out a logo or decal for a model, the printout must be sealed with a light coat of Mod Podge on the ink side one brush stroke quickly so it doesn't smear the ink, after its dry you can put a better coat on. Have any of those neat little decal sheets from old plastic models? Set your printer up for enlarging to the size you need, like 150 to 200% and print out in enhanced color. Cut out and instant decals. Most of the FT models in my hangar have this kind of trim. I also like the monocote trim sheets for checkerboard and I have a stripe cutting machine for striping. I enjoy the building process as much as the flying! :)
P3100042.JPG