Bushwhacker Float Plane (with waterproof foam board)

Make a Bushwhacker with the new waterproof foam board and put floats on it. Better yet, sell a laser cut kit for the waterproof Bushwhacker with the parts to build the floats. I would buy one. Can I order one now?

Since it might be a bit 'til the waterproof board is readily available to the average plane builder, any kit that FT puts out with the waterproof board will sell like hotcakes. My FT Fliers were always warping before I had a chance to totally destroy them, so a waterproof FT Flier would likely be a huge seller if it was warp resistant. Can I order one now? Any of the belly landers like the F-22, or the mini-trainer would benefit from some waterproofness. Trying to fly before the wind comes up means dew on the grass. Wet foam board will eventually warp even if it is Min-Waxed.

BobK

Banned
Good question..I guarantee the only answers you will get on this forum is minwax, packing tape, or wait until the new waterproof foam board comes out. I'll send you a pm I found a solution but got slammed for trying to share it here openly on the boards.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Otherwise ROSS foam works well in water/humid conditions. It's not totally water proof, so I don't suggest making a float plane without taping or minwaxing, but it holds up a LOT better in water.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Good question..I guarantee the only answers you will get on this forum is minwax, packing tape, or wait until the new waterproof foam board comes out. I'll send you a pm I found a solution but got slammed for trying to share it here openly on the boards.

BobK,
Just curious. Where did you get slammed for trying to share your ideas openly on this forum? That's not very typical of this community.

BobK

Banned
Not a big deal just had some ideas and they are working for me, every time I mention it I get slammed because I am not using minwax, packing tape, or FT water proof foam.

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Not a big deal just had some ideas and they are working for me, every time I mention it I get slammed because I am not using minwax, packing tape, or FT water proof foam.

I don't think anyone was slamming you, were a pretty easy going group. Your method just looked like a lot of work and the DTF crowd are by a nature a bunch of slackers. Myself included. Easy, fast, and cheap is king. ;)

And back on topic, I have some DTF float designs that would be very well suited to the Bushwhacker. Easy to build, and so far they work great on snow. Still need to get to water testing.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24068-Easy-to-Build-Swappable-DTF-Floats-amp-Ski-s

Waterproof plane.

Waterproof floats are a good start, but ... the way I fly, the whole plane better be waterproof if I'm anywhere near water. Seriously, if you had the option to use waterproof foam, why would you ever use standard DTF? If I had access to waterproof foam I would build a new Bushwhacker with floats and an FT Flier for starters. I have lost two Fliers to wing warpage. I love the plane, especially with ailerons, but they never seem to last very long. Min-waxing prevents total paper failure, but they still warp after enough exposure to wet grass/dirt. The wheels always fling water and wet dirt up on the under surfaces of the wings. The flat wing designs are the worst for wing warps.