Buy a kit or cut one out myself??

Droneflyer200

I myself prefer to scratch build but there are allot of advantages to kit building not the least of which is the time that it saves from making templates and cutting out parts though I always make templates from the precut parts for repairs and rebuilds. I use an old black and white Laser printer to print out my tiled plans and use Sponz method for making templates out of poster board by gluing the sheets to the poster board with spray adhesive. He has a complete tutorial on the flight test website.

Droneflyer200

As long as you minwax it and wood glue the edges it will be fine. I was motor testing with my P-40 in the rain last saturday and I put two packs through it and the plane is fine. This is a scratch build, no speed build kit exists for it. :) Sharp blades, a nice metal ruler, and some patience are what is required for a good scratch build.

397261_c730629c900518c7f5892e8965bdf325.jpg
Brovo Sgt she is indeed a lovely bird!
Yes and no, if you can build the 262 scratch building shouldn't be a problem for you. I've built a few ft kits and scratch built quite a few airplanes and if you take your time, use a ruler and a sharp knife you'll have a nice looking plane. Here are a couple of my nicer foam board scratch builds. View attachment 215581 View attachment 215582 View attachment 215583
Wow a cox Baby bee 049 now that brings back childhood memories!

Droneflyer200

No you don't need to print them all the symbols legend and allot parts like the fire wall and control horns and alike are common to most of the flight test designs and once you have made templates you don't have to keep printing them out also make one wing template ether right or left and use it flipped over mirror image to make both wings.

SSgt Duramax

You could print one wing, the fuse and tailfeathers and kind of wing the rest. Make templates like others have said.

Droneflyer200

Hey SSrgt I was wondering the wood glue you mentioned would that be the yellow alphetic resin glue also know as carpenter,s glue and are you applying it to the exposed edges of the foam board. I have noticed the edges take a beating.

bwarz

Master member
My printer does about 100 sheets per ink cartridge after that goes from black to some shade of gray. With ply wood I buy where I can get. ( LOL northern Canada)
does your printer have an economy mode setting? uses less ink and prints lighter...

bwarz

Master member
poster mode printing full size too. their margins when they break it into 8.5x11 are a bit excessive :LOL: get a ream or two of legal as well. (+1 on the get a cheap used laser printer too)

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Get a job where you can use the printer whenever you want for whatever you want, as long as nobody else is around.

That's what I do. Our work copier can handle 11X17 sheets, which are perfect for a lot of the 13th Squadron plans and some of the FT ones. I buy the cheapest paper I can find on Amazon.

SSgt Duramax

Hey SSrgt I was wondering the wood glue you mentioned would that be the yellow alphetic resin glue also know as carpenter,s glue and are you applying it to the exposed edges of the foam board. I have noticed the edges take a beating.
Yes, it is.

This is my P40 after a forced landing into concrete yesterday. The front was wood glue with paper wrapped around. The plane is also minwaxed.

It has been flown in a rain shower and repeatedly landed in wet grass.

20220117_183418.jpg