C-119 Build Questions

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Will do tonight... The mini guinea vid shows the nose section assembly going together really well. Wish I had seen it before I attempted that part of the fuselage. Main frustration had was driven by the size of the components. I will use carbon arrows to attach the outer wing sections, they will be removable. The BNK has me side tracked, then I built a mini speedster one afternoon, then..........

Justin

Team_Monkey

Sub'd!
I had access to a large format printer so I split the PDF into two long sections and printed them off in two loooooong strips. LOL
Having built a few large/awkward shaped planes, I'll be focusing on the breakdown method. Not that I can start on this anytime soon though. We're in prime indoor season up here in the North so I'm building little planes for the next month or so. ;)

Hopefully I'll have something to report in.... maybe March when I start thinking of standing outside again. :p

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
The fwd booms are drawn incorrectly in the original drawing release. Reference post in thread where drawings are posted-

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...-Rescue-Challenge/page7&highlight=fire+rescue
Post #63

"Correction request for C-119 drawing.

Fwd boom profile does not fit properly to the rear half due to B fold placed on bottom of the part. The sides of the fwd boom need to be square to the top and not bottom. The top should have the B fold rather than the bottom. As drawn, the sides must be trimmed the thickness of the foam board to the non folded side (trimming off a triangle shape) so the top of the boom is aligned straight. See wing incidence markings for reference.

Thank you!

Justin "

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Center wing section permanently attached with removable outer wings. I can transport it with the tail boom attached, and I don't want to hook up power leads. The battery will need to go in the nose to counter the tail section.

Arrows permanently attached to wings, detachable at the pylon.

I would like to get carbon arrow shafts and cut them into 4 18" (460 mm) sections,2 per wing, I can epoxy replacement inserts and use all-thread and a nut or a simple bolt into the insert to keep the shaft from detaching from the pylon. Something like a wood block in the pylon as an attach point.

it would be simpler to use rubber bands to pull the wing to the pylon though. What do you guys think?

After seeing the dog's damage to the SS, I may need to beef up the center section?

Justin

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I was thinking about building the wings like josh did for the 200% ft cruizer. I have a pickup or i can use my wife's grand cherokee to transport it with only the outer wings off.

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
I will do it that way the next time I build a Kraken, but this boxcar just doesn't have the room. :(
I do think wood coming down from the center section into the outer wing would be great but, I don't trust wood when it's that thin.

Thank you for posting that link, I had not seen episode 400 until that post!

Justin

DidierNeefe97

Digital Wolf
Very nice i m building whit green depronbut i m going to glue the hole thing together because i leave it on school maybe i can safely tear it apart so it doesnt break the wing joint very badly (the outer wings) image.jpg here is a pic of glueing the tail booms to the fuselage. It isnt the best thing i ever build (i think the worst) but what can you do whit a group of 6 people whit 1 rc addict in that group 😜 (me)

Last edited:

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
I just glued my tail booms on tonight. I installed them halfway up the center wing so the other wing will plug in and the seam will be hidden. I need to cut out a strip to support the center wing end stuck in the boom to the boom top. You did right by leaving the tops open. I should have completed the wing, detach system and all before I stuck it into the fues and booms.

It looks like the center wing and elevator are about the same width, will need to trim elevator as it will be slightly narrower than drawings, because of boom spacing.

Justin

SKT

Sub'd

I am watching thi sthread very carefully. Thx heaps for doing the build and sharing.

alan r

A long time agoI] was in the last class at Ft Benning GA to jump from the the old box car. It rattled it was noisy but felt safe as it had been around forever. Must build one.[/I]

kkmalu

I just glued my tail booms on tonight. I installed them halfway up the center wing so the other wing will plug in and the seam will be hidden. I need to cut out a strip to support the center wing end stuck in the boom to the boom top. You did right by leaving the tops open. I should have completed the wing, detach system and all before I stuck it into the fues and booms.

It looks like the center wing and elevator are about the same width, will need to trim elevator as it will be slightly narrower than drawings, because of boom spacing.

Justin

Very nice job on the build Justin!
Any more updates/pictures on the build? I am planning to build one myself but in the plans they don't really have much information. From the pictures it looks like the center wings are anhedral. Do you have any angle gauge for this?
And then it looks like the outer wings are just straight out? More pictures on how you plan to do detachable wings would be most useful!
Looking forward to it...

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FYI...

While at Flite Fest '15, I did overhear hear Josh Bixler talking to someone about the C-119. They are planning to revisit this design. He plans to make it smaller (more transportable) and make it a more repeatable build process. Not sure if that means a full SBK on the store or not at this point.

kkmalu

Nice! I am waiting for that to come out... Don't know how long will it take them but till then I do wish to build one with their plans...
Thanks for the update though!

kkmalu

Ok guys,
So I built this plane and had a successful maiden too! Building this plane was a little challenging due the the anhedral wing in center and dihedral on sides. To make it easy for transportation in the back of my Prius, I made the tail section detachable and the nose detachable. It worked out perfectly! If I was able to carry it in the back of my prius, I am pretty sure you could do it in any car that has foldable back seats. Let me know if you guys want to see more details on this detachable version...
My wife cut out all the parts for this plane and the paint job is all done by her...
Here is how it looks like:

IMG_0010.JPG IMG_2874.jpg IMG_2918.jpg IMG_2920.jpg

The maiden was kinda adventurous for me as I haven't flown this big a plane before... Another mistake that I did was to use 9g tower pro servos for all control surfaces - I knew this was not a good idea for such a big plane but thats all I had... I know I wasn't been responsible... So initially the plane did not want to turn because I was flying this plane really slow so there was not enough airflow over this control surfaces and it wouldn't turn! Later I increased the speed and it flew like a trainer! Awesome plane to fly... I hope you guys have fun building this plane too!

Here is the video of my maiden:

Saini_boyz

Thats a nice plane KKMalu, I am planning to make one too. So do the wings go through the foam or they are just glued to the outer body. I have made many FT planes before, this one looks a bit different. The fuselage seems to be similar to the Guinea Pig (I think thats one of the best planes I made and have).
Thanks,

Ok guys,
So I built this plane and had a successful maiden too! Building this plane was a little challenging due the the anhedral wing in center and dihedral on sides. To make it easy for transportation in the back of my Prius, I made the tail section detachable and the nose detachable. It worked out perfectly! If I was able to carry it in the back of my prius, I am pretty sure you could do it in any car that has foldable back seats. Let me know if you guys want to see more details on this detachable version...
My wife cut out all the parts for this plane and the paint job is all done by her...
Here is how it looks like:

View attachment 52009 View attachment 52010 View attachment 52011 View attachment 52012

The maiden was kinda adventurous for me as I haven't flown this big a plane before... Another mistake that I did was to use 9g tower pro servos for all control surfaces - I knew this was not a good idea for such a big plane but thats all I had... I know I wasn't been responsible... So initially the plane did not want to turn because I was flying this plane really slow so there was not enough airflow over this control surfaces and it wouldn't turn! Later I increased the speed and it flew like a trainer! Awesome plane to fly... I hope you guys have fun building this plane too!

Here is the video of my maiden: