C-160 build

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I have my work cut out with this one.
IMG_20190614_231917294.jpg
...and yes, it is the reincarnation of the old GWS cargotrans. A model I wanted to build years and years ago but it never seemed to actually be released, it was always on the coming soon status.
The foam used doesn't seem to be the expanded polystyrene that GWS used to use, rather it seems to be a fairly lightweight EPO foam.
Waiting in the motors and yet more servos. Does anyone else always seem to be running out of servos???? :)

L Edge

Master member
Does it have rudder control or are you doing differential thrust or both?
Think about if one motor goes out (especially the lower wing motor in a turn- ask me how I know) and you don't have a moving rudder, what happens? The kit and gas motors cost me $350 and I spiraled in on a turn, lower motor quit where total time of new plane was about 30 seconds.

Another problem is transports tend to tip over on takeoffs and landing catching the wingtip due to cross winds or poor grass conditions. This is due to main gear to narrow. Way to solve it is by putting dual wheels on each axle(2-4 for you) or end up extending axels outward. Another way is to have steerable nose wheel to prevent tipovers.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Does it have rudder control or are you doing differential thrust or both?
Think about if one motor goes out (especially the lower wing motor in a turn- ask me how I know) and you don't have a moving rudder, what happens? The kit and gas motors cost me $350 and I spiraled in on a turn, lower motor quit where total time of new plane was about 30 seconds.

Another problem is transports tend to tip over on takeoffs and landing catching the wingtip due to cross winds or poor grass conditions. This is due to main gear to narrow. Way to solve it is by putting dual wheels on each axle(2-4 for you) or end up extending axels outward. Another way is to have steerable nose wheel to prevent tipovers.
Full complement of aerodynamic surfaces and a steerable nose wheel. I will also add a spot of differential thrust.
Andrew Newton did one on his channel and it looks really good. He complained that there was no battery hatch and cut a hole in the fuse ahead of the wing. In fact, the battery location is on the top-front of the undercarriage hatch cover, just room enough for a 2200 3S.

L Edge

Master member
Full complement of aerodynamic surfaces and a steerable nose wheel. I will also add a spot of differential thrust.
Andrew Newton did one on his channel and it looks really good. He complained that there was no battery hatch and cut a hole in the fuse ahead of the wing. In fact, the battery location is on the top-front of the undercarriage hatch cover, just room enough for a 2200 3S.

Have you explored the area of doing knife edges?

L Edge

Master member
Only on a simulator model, so far!!!

You need to get the feel of what rudder can do for you. Try this, take your favorite plane, go 3 crash heights, and learn to do flat turns. That is, do a 360 turn where you don't use ailerons(just rudder and elevator) at a reasonable speed and don't lose altitude. See what it takes to do it. Not only do the 360 to the left, but always do it the right as well.

Why practice?, when you get to purchasing your expensive WW2 tail dragger, the rudder will prevent lose due to tip stalls or even like I had, lost 1 main wheel and used rudder to keep the other 2 wheels to land and slow the plane down before the "no wheel" touches and digs in. It will prevent major damage.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I have my work cut out with this one.

...and yes, it is the reincarnation of the old GWS cargotrans. A model I wanted to build years and years ago but it never seemed to actually be released, it was always on the coming soon status.
The foam used doesn't seem to be the expanded polystyrene that GWS used to use, rather it seems to be a fairly lightweight EPO foam.
Waiting in the motors and yet more servos. Does anyone else always seem to be running out of servos???? :)

Nice! I love having my multi-engine rating. There's just something about a twin. A total twinster I am whot whot.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Nice! I love having my multi-engine rating. There's just something about a twin. A total twinster I am whot whot.
The body is a fair bit closer to a C-130 if I were to add two more engines I would have to downsize the engines a bit to save the poor battery.

Brett_N

Did you order that kit from ValueHobby last week?

There was stock - now there is no stock LOL. I also missed out on the 28 inch P-51's. So, it's going to be a pair of 4S powered 22 inch P51's instead :)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Did you order that kit from ValueHobby last week?

There was stock - now there is no stock LOL. I also missed out on the 28 inch P-51's. So, it's going to be a pair of 4S powered 22 inch P51's instead :)
No, banggood UK store had the last six in the warehouse at £22...I could not say no.
It's not an easy build bit I am a sucker for a multi engine plane 😁
22 inch?? That's small!!!!