C-17 Globemaster III - 50mm EDF

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Salvage? What happened? I heard nothing of a crash. All those pieces, did you cartwheel a landing?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Salvage? What happened? I heard nothing of a crash. All those pieces, did you cartwheel a landing?

It's in my vlog from Saturday, on the previous page here. But here's a direct link to the spot in the video

In the morning I attempted a "fall away" gear takeoff - the landing gear are pinned on, so I removed the keeper-pins hoping the gear would fall away on takeoff, giving me a "gear up" flight look. The gear fell off too soon (bouncing on the geotextile runway), and skidded off, ripping two of the nacelles loose. They glued back on easily, but now I was nervous about a takeoff roll.

As I was repairing the nacelles, Wren from Corridor Digital rolled by on his "OneWheel". I asked him if he'd like to try a rolling launch, and he agreed. It sounded like a good idea at the time, and we tested it, and he felt good.

There's probably 20 different ways to explain what went wrong, none of which would be correct or complete. Suffice to say it didn't get enough airspeed and nosed over hard - either due to Wren's hand or a gust of wind (doesn't matter) - the resulting impact broke the vertical reinforcing rod and cracked the tail over. It also knocked one of the nacelles loose again.

I may have been able to repair it on-site, but by that point I was ready to move on. I had two GREAT flights, a TON of fun building and sharing the project, and even MORE fun sharing it with everyone Friday at FFWest. The Friday flight was SOOOOO smooth, it could not have gone better. I think I used up all my mojo right then. :p

No biggie. We keep building, we'll keep flying. That's what we do. :cool:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Ok thanks.

Let me say, what a great example you have been in so many ways. Your build was meticulous, unique, and interesting. Your posts kept everyone in the loop and allowed us to vicariously enjoy with you. You present yourself in a very kind and positive way and even when things go sour, you display great character. I'm sorry it ended as soon as it did but even with that, well done sir! Thank you for being such a positive role model for the FT Community and of course for your own son who gets to see how men succeed while meeting failures along the way.

I'll be eager to meet you face to face in Ohio July and shake your hand.

And of course, I'll be watching for the next build. I heard that littlehint of something undisclosed on the Podcast.. hmmm?

Thanks Ben.
—Jim

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
IT WAS AWESOME. Sorry.....but I really liked seeing jets for the first time.

I saw the long takeoff which was beautiful. I saw the one-wheel launch attempt which was a brave attempt. Caveat: If Secretariat had stepped into a gopher hole, it would have been just another horse stepping into a gopher hole. Gopher holes --- the great equalizer.

Analysis: Accident.

No fault. A smooth surface would have likely resulted in a good launch. It was just bad luck.
My $0.02

Last edited:
The FT video really showed off the plane nicely. As you said it's a great record of your plane and flight that you can watch Iver and over. It looks really cool in the air too.

It looked windy! Good job hanging on to it

usaserres

Hi Mid7night.

I followed all your Flite Test videos and articles and I must say I am impressed! I have decided to tackle your project and make one just like yours. Could you tell me on what size of paper I need to print the plans? Looks like US legal size width paper right? Or is it bigger?
Thanks.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Hi Mid7night.

I followed all your Flite Test videos and articles and I must say I am impressed! I have decided to tackle your project and make one just like yours. Could you tell me on what size of paper I need to print the plans? Looks like US legal size width paper right? Or is it bigger?
Thanks.

Wow, I wish you luck! :cool:

Full-size plans need to be printed on ANSI D-size paper, because they are laid out full size on a 20x30" area that transfers straight to standard foamboard.

jrsydvl000

Awesome build! What other electronics were used on this build and how was it wired especially the ESC to the engines in relations to the receiver?

ZALATOS

ZALATOS
Hi Ben, What is the angle of motors? they have down thrust or up thrust. How you measurement the installation to have correct thrust?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Hi Ben, What is the angle of motors? they have down thrust or up thrust. How you measurement the installation to have correct thrust?

I never did measure the thrust, so I don't know what I actually had. I did not design in any thrust angle; it should be straight ahead and level.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Dear Ben,
What kind of battery? Lipo 6S? And what do you make flaps? I have make EPP plans.

It flew on a 6000mAh 4S lipo. The flaps, like everything else, were just foamboard. The flap hinge fairings - also foamboard - are where the hinges were hidden. I used ball swivel links at the four hinge points to reduce binding. If you modify the plans, please share them so the rest of us can enjoy them as well! Good luck!

PoorManRC

Master member
What an EPIC Build!!! (y)(y):cool:
You do such a great job of showing the REST of us what's possible.
In the Air Force, I really missed the C-141... The 17 is more than a worthy successor.
Hey.....if I end up going insane - I might try a DTFB C-141!!! :eek: OR, if I completely flip my lid - a C-5B!!!! The 32 Wheel Landing Gear alone would put anyone in the LOONEY Bin!

Seriously, I'll be keeping an eye on what you might come up with next.

Lurch2210

Hello, Beautiful C-17. I was going to ask size of print However you answered it above. A friend of mine flys them. Your bird is truly amazing.