C Pack Fokker DR1?

Not sure if this should go here or in the motors section.

I’m wanting to try to scale a FT plan and I love the Fokker DR1

What percentage increase do you think would use a C Pack equivalent motor?

Want to make it swappable.

FDS

Elite member
All motors are swappable, once the airframe is destroyed you swap it into another plane!
The Minis are pretty finely balanced, they are more easily upset by added weight. You are doubling the stator height and adding a lot more nose weight with a C pack. It would work if you scaled it up to swappable airframe size, but not as a mini.
I just buy cheaper motors for my minis, Hobbyking do an 1806/2400kv for $5 which powers all mine, including my SE5 and DR1, with a 6x4 prop.
In practice swappable power pods are a non starter, each plane needs its power pod in a slightly different position to fly well and the power pods break often, it’s part of their function to die and save the motor.

All motors are swappable, once the airframe is destroyed you swap it into another plane!
The Minis are pretty finely balanced, they are more easily upset by added weight. You are doubling the stator height and adding a lot more nose weight with a C pack. It would work if you scaled it up to swappable airframe size, but not as a mini.
I just buy cheaper motors for my minis, Hobbyking do an 1806/2400kv for $5 which powers all mine, including my SE5 and DR1, with a 6x4 prop.
In practice swappable power pods are a non starter, each plane needs its power pod in a slightly different position to fly well and the power pods break often, it’s part of their function to die and save the motor.

I’m wanting to scale it up. I’m just asking if anyone has experience as to how much to scale it (percentage) to make it work with a C pack.

I’m definitely going to look into those motors for future mini builds though!!

FDS

Elite member
If you look at the size of the swappable series they have about an 800-1000mm wingspan, you are going to have to look at wing design and spars if you are going that big on the DR1 since it has a pretty basic wing.
I would say it’s not a great candidate to get bigger, you might want hobby ply wing struts as well, the foam board ones are at their limit in the mini version.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I upscaled the bravo to 135% and used a c pack in it. I also made it swappable. 135% is a good scale, but I bet you could go up to 150% and still have a great plane. @BATTLEAXE also does a lot of scaling plans and I bet he can help as well. Have fun!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
If you look at the size of the swappable series they have about an 800-1000mm wingspan, you are going to have to look at wing design and spars if you are going that big on the DR1 since it has a pretty basic wing.
I would say it’s not a great candidate to get bigger, you might want hobby ply wing struts as well, the foam board ones are at their limit in the mini version.
Yes, add some wooden struts. Those will be necessary. But I think the wing is ok. @buzzbomb and @sundown57 scaled up a mini scout biplane, @sundown57 did like 230% and kept the same under camber wing to that’s found in the Dr1. Have fun!

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Welcome to the forums, and YES scale up the DR1. There is a good math trick I do for scaling planes. I find that if I find a dimension I want, say a certain wing span, I measure what the original size is and do a simple proportional ratio equation. Out pops the answer to what scale you are looking for. If you want to go with the original swappable pod, being two inches wide, and you are coming from a mini design, which I think is 1.25" wide. That's your ratio to set your scale, here is the equation- (2x100) / 1.25 = 160% ...as an example

This would be a good place to start. Most upscale mini's to 150% and adjust in the build

PoorManRC

Master member
I'd love to find out how this turns out! A 150-160% DR 1 sounds nearly PERFECT for what I want in my first WWI Warbird. 😉

..... Like everything else, I'd need someone to Print the enlarged Plans for me.

The Real ones only flew around 90-105mph.... Unless you're going for a 3D Triplane, a B Pack Motor should work.

Again, excited to see what you end up with!! 👍👍

Zetoyoc

Elite member
This sounds like a build up my ally. The original mini size dr1 often needs added nose weight so scaling it up with bigger motor and battery may actually help this. I figured once you had the size you wanted the motor was really just a mater of how much power you need. for instance my standard dr1 weighs about 260g with the battery. the motor and prop i use gives 530g thrust. I could scale up some and still fly it well. scaling it up youd just have to watch the size of the cowl and be sure your prop actually reaches past it id think. I am very interested in where you take this. I might be tempted to try something like it myself

-Jesse

edit. the motor combo i use is a 2205 2350kv motor with a 6x3e prop

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Mine balanced perfectly out the box. I suspect tail heavy DR1’s result from using heavier foam board or being too enthusiastic with the glue gun.
Bigger is always better, I would try a bigger DR1. I mean to try the larger SE5 as well.
A swabbable size Brisfit would hit all my WW1 buttons tho.