C power pack and Simple Cub. Anyone?

CheckMySix

Anyone using the C power pack motor on the simple cub? I don't even see the cub on the power pack compatibility sheet. More power is great but not already good...right?

If so, still using the 3 cell? I'm running 3 cell 1550s and can get 12-15 minutes. Lotta touch and goes and scale flying.

I still have some 3s 2200s but they are older and much bigger than tattu.

Thanks

CheckMySix

I fly the old c pack (emax 2215) on a 1500 3s in my cub and I’ve got a ton of power with unlimited vertical and it’s a lot of fun!
Awesome man! Thanks for the quick reply. Just getting back into flying and had my second nose in crash lol. These motors are petty tough but if lost some power big time. As cheap as they are...time to update and upgrade. Just gotta finish the shopping cart. :)

Fly, crash, repair, repeat! 😉😁

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Awesome man! Thanks for the quick reply. Just getting back into flying and had my second nose in crash lol. These motors are petty tough but if lost some power big time. As cheap as they are...time to update and upgrade. Just gotta finish the shopping cart. :)

That’s the attitude! Have fun!

CheckMySix

Awesome man! Thanks for the quick reply.

Are you still using the 35 amp speed controller too? I would think that's fine. Suspect the B motor would be fine on a 30anp ESC. B motor isn't crazy bigger Kv.

Just getting back into flying and had my second nose in crash lol. These motors are petty tough but it lost some power big time. As cheap as they are...time to update and upgrade. Just gotta finish the shopping cart. :)

The name of the cub is the FCRR 😉

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I think the only reason the B pack is recommended for the cub is that it is meant to be a trainer on a slow fly prop. To tell you the truth I have over powered many of my planes and I haven't seen any "to much power" tendencies, I don't even think I know what to much power looks like if I did. For me the only thing I would be concerned about is weight of the motor or battery if it was a mini series model. I flew the F pack with a 3s 850 mah in all my minis when an A pack would have been sufficient. Same with the standards, the motor I use is substantially bigger the C pack and has amazing power for any build of the same size. It hasn't been an issue on the 3s 2200mah. Anyone who tells me they want to get the B pack I always recommend going for the C pack. Chances are they will buy the C later anyway, might as well get it first. The one thing I would think anyone should be worried about is not enough power, c will change out into any plane FT has. I put my big motor on a 8x8 prop into the FT-22/Alpha mash up and that was the fastest plane I have ever flown, it ripped so fast it scared me lol

CheckMySix

I think the only reason the B pack is recommended for the cub is that it is meant to be a trainer on a slow fly prop. To tell you the truth I have over powered many of my planes and I haven't seen any "to much power" tendencies, I don't even think I know what to much power looks like if I did. For me the only thing I would be concerned about is weight of the motor or battery if it was a mini series model. I flew the F pack with a 3s 850 mah in all my minis when an A pack would have been sufficient. Same with the standards, the motor I use is substantially bigger the C pack and has amazing power for any build of the same size. It hasn't been an issue on the 3s 2200mah. Anyone who tells me they want to get the B pack I always recommend going for the C pack. Chances are they will buy the C later anyway, might as well get it first. The one thing I would think anyone should be worried about is not enough power, c will change out into any plane FT has. I put my big motor on a 8x8 prop into the FT-22/Alpha mash up and that was the fastest plane I have ever flown, it ripped so fast it scared me lol
Are using a bigger prop on the c than that 9x4.5?
Yea, if figure the FT guys are err on the side of caution. Figured since I'm just getting back into after years off and never did custom builds before I'd see what others are doing. That's what the forum is all about...right? 😋

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
On the C pack I have used up to a 9x6, you could even do a 10x45 for the slower stuff to keep it more docile if that's what you are looking for, Just to kick the can some. And the 30 amp ESC will handle it fine, actually if you like to err on the side of caution go to a 35 amp ESC to eliminate any brown outs or over heating if you have one kicking around.

Man if it wasn't for these forums I would have given up on this hobby a long time ago. Before I got on here I was so confused as to what I was doing, a lot of guess work, trial and error, and a lot of confusing advice from the LHS talking to different clerks every time.

How long ago were you flying last and what models?

CheckMySix

On the C pack I have used up to a 9x6, you could even do a 10x45 for the slower stuff to keep it more docile if that's what you are looking for, Just to kick the can some. And the 30 amp ESC will handle it fine, actually if you like to err on the side of caution go to a 35 amp ESC to eliminate any brown outs or over heating if you have one kicking around.

Man if it wasn't for these forums I would have given up on this hobby a long time ago. Before I got on here I was so confused as to what I was doing, a lot of guess work, trial and error, and a lot of confusing advice from the LHS talking to different clerks every time.

How long ago were you flying last and what models?

Right on. I have the 35amp esc that came with the b power pack so all good there. I did want to play with prop sizes too so good info man.

I really love what FT is doing and doing for the hobby. I can't believe how much fun I'm having with this cubbie and just how resilient it is. 2 nose in crashes, hit a park block on approach when the head wind died and even hit a poll...just at sunset lol... with the wing and...some tape, little bit of hot glue and she just flies.

So, I was in to flying for a few years in mid 2000s. Mostly a parkzone corsair that I loved to scale fly. Imagine I'm the new pilot in VMF214 hoping to be puppy's wing man some day lol. Arizona State's west campus let's us fly out in a big parking lot with some fields around it. Always a group of guys there on the weekends with everything from trex choppers to edf jets and drones. They do a lot of night flying too.

Had a slow stick I played with for a while. Letting , my buddy use it now since he's just getting into the hobby. Or, I should say he's FCRR'ing it lol.

So, back then I was happy with just the stock corsair and didn't really tweak or test much. The guys out at ASU we're always helpful but also teased the hell out of me for being pretty timid...all in good fun. But now, I'm glad i stripped all the good stuff outta the destroyed corsairs. Still have a few 480 motors and a pile of servos and a few 30amp secs. That's allowing me to do things like build a new cub wing and add flaps. Didn't have a forum like this back then so I'm really enjoying it and taking advantage of it. Things can go south and burn up if you really don't know what your doing....right? Always good to ask hey...what are you doing...first...lol.
Working on cutting out and building a new fuselage. Current one is pretty beat up and getting some wonky stuff in air. So cool that FT just gives away the plans. Don't have to drop big $$$ when you get cocky and RIP your motor and nose off lol. I went through 3 complete corsairs lol. The last one, was flying in my hood using the street as a runway. On approach was a home that kinda simulated the approach at San Diego lindberg field coming over the parking garage. Was about 8' too low and yea... corsair didn't fair too well lol. Then, life intervenes with work, couple more surgeries from years of beer league hockey and... busy off doing other stuff. So glad I'm back into it now. Forgot how much fun it is. Just being out at the field with the guys, giving each other a hard time...like the locker room back in my hockey days.
🤣

FDS

Elite member
You can just do a flaperon mix on the wing you have, that’s a good way to test how it will fly. Also add a little incidence to the wing by putting a 1mm ish shim under the wing leading edge.
The ease of repair on foamboard planes is really great, I worry much less about crashing them.

CheckMySix

Right on. I have the 35amp esc that came with the b power pack so all good there. I did want to play with prop sizes too so good info man.

I really love what FT is doing and doing for the hobby. I can't believe how much fun I'm having with this cubbie and just how resilient it is. 2 nose in crashes, hit a park block on approach when the head wind died and even hit a poll...just at sunset lol... with the wing and...some tape, little bit of hot glue and she just flies.

So, I was in to flying for a few years in mid 2000s. Mostly a parkzone corsair that I loved to scale fly. Imagine I'm the new pilot in VMF214 hoping to be puppy's wing man some day lol. Arizona State's west campus let's us fly out in a big parking lot with some fields around it. Always a group of guys there on the weekends with everything from trex choppers to edf jets and drones. They do a lot of night flying too.

Had a slow stick I played with for a while. Letting , my buddy use it now since he's just getting into the hobby. Or, I should say he's FCRR'ing it lol.

So, back then I was happy with just the stock corsair and didn't really tweak or test much. The guys out at ASU we're always helpful but also teased the hell out of me for being pretty timid...all in good fun. But now, I'm glad i stripped all the good stuff outta the destroyed corsairs. Still have a few 480 motors and a pile of servos and a few 30amp secs. That's allowing me to do things like build a new cub wing and add flaps. Didn't have a forum like this back then so I'm really enjoying it and taking advantage of it. Things can go south and burn up if you really don't know what your doing....right? Always good to ask hey...what are you doing...first...lol.
Working on cutting out and building a new fuselage. Current one is pretty beat up and getting some wonky stuff in air. So cool that FT just gives away the plans. Don't have to drop big $$$ when you get cocky and RIP your motor and nose off lol. I went through 3 complete corsairs lol. The last one, was flying in my hood using the street as a runway. On approach was a home that kinda simulated the approach at San Diego lindberg field coming over the parking garage. Was about 8' too low and yea... corsair didn't fair too well lol. Then, life intervenes with work, couple more surgeries from years of beer league hockey and... busy off doing other stuff. So glad I'm back into it now. Forgot how much fun it is. Just being out at the field with the guys, giving each other a hard time...like the locker room back in my hockey days.
🤣

ASU west RC airfield 😋
And... guys setup a track in the lot for RC racers.

Attachments

• 20191115_091227.jpg
    20191115_091227.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 0

CheckMySix

You can just do a flaperon mix on the wing you have, that’s a good way to test how it will fly. Also add a little incidence to the wing by putting a 1mm ish shim under the wing leading edge.
The ease of repair on foamboard planes is really great, I worry much less about crashing them.
Yea, I've been getting pretty bold. Gotta work on inverted flight. 3 mistakes high...right!😉

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yea, I've been getting pretty bold. Gotta work on inverted flight. 3 mistakes high...right!😉
You might consider a spitfire or an ft-22 for practicing inverted. The spitfire is rock solid doing inverted, and the ft-22 is good and you don’t break props when you crash. My cub hates inverted. It really fights it.

CheckMySix

You might consider a spitfire or an ft-22 for practicing inverted. The spitfire is rock solid doing inverted, and the ft-22 is good and you don’t break props when you crash. My cub hates inverted. It really fights it.

I really want a spitfire! My second favorite WWII bird after the corsair. Those spit iconic wings.
I've got an E Flite F16 EDF... long story how I got that lol... That I'm a couple weeks from getting the courage to fly it. Just want some more sick time first. Shaking the rust off and it's happening faster than expected. That EDF has got some speed! Gotta crank down them DRs eh lol