C power pack and Simple Cub. Anyone?

CheckMySix

Got the new motor and yea... got some power now!
Had to totally reconfigure the battery and power pod arrangement. I was already flying to nose heavy. I have the landing gear in, and glued the hell outta it to keep it from moving and that made putting the battery under the pod just..,bad. Tight on the cables and just couldn't get it back far enough.
So, moved the battery into the pod way back. ESC back under the pod. Don't need so much elevator back pressure now.
Now, just gotta finish a new fuselage since the first has got pretty beat up experimenting and a couple of crashes...lol. got some clevis.s.s.s or, clevi as I like to call them now for my wing with flaps. Makes it so much easier to adjust and fine tune.
My buddy and I think it's time to spring for a 3D printer. Make it easier to just print some of the smaller parts we need/want. He's working on the mini mustang. Now, if only he could learn to fly....lol. stubborn Irishman!

Thank for the advice and input boys!

CheckMySix

What motor did you go for again? Was it the 2218 radial?
Yea...the one that comes with the c power pack
Just found a local hobby shop that carries FT products and foam board. They order weekly and will order anything I want. Freaking awesome cause FTs shipping charges are brutal. Ordered the Motor and paid extra $5 for Saturday delivery and still didn't get here until Monday. Shipped USPS so can't really blame FT. But, drive about 20 miles each way and just saved $12 shipping lol. Being able to get their foamboard at $2.49 a sheet is pretty sweet too. FT wants $58 for 25 sheets bUt almost $17 for shipping. They really need to negotiate better terms especially in the age of Amazon.
I like supporting local hobby shops too. You can get stuff in Amazon and delivered to your door but some things I just like to hold in my hand and make sure it'll work. Plus, you can't ask amazon about things and tips and tricks. 😁
Although, this forum has been great for that especially since its FT centric.

FDS

Elite member
Battery C rating won’t make any difference, the battery doesn’t push correct to the motor, it supplies current based on the MOTOR load, more load (e.g. bigger/pitchier prop) means the motor draws more current. You can plug a motor into a Tesla battery and if the voltage and motor load is the same, it will simply draw the same current.
Adding voltage will cause the motor to turn the prop faster, making more power but also increasing the motor load, since the drag on the prop will be greater as it spins faster.
Adding more battery weight and making the plane fly faster and more aggressively will add much more strain on the wing loading, hence snapping.

rcpilot2

Yea...the one that comes with the c power pack
Just found a local hobby shop that carries FT products and foam board. They order weekly and will order anything I want. Freaking awesome cause FTs shipping charges are brutal. Ordered the Motor and paid extra $5 for Saturday delivery and still didn't get here until Monday. Shipped USPS so can't really blame FT. But, drive about 20 miles each way and just saved $12 shipping lol. Being able to get their foamboard at $2.49 a sheet is pretty sweet too. FT wants $58 for 25 sheets bUt almost $17 for shipping. They really need to negotiate better terms especially in the age of Amazon.
I like supporting local hobby shops too. You can get stuff in Amazon and delivered to your door but some things I just like to hold in my hand and make sure it'll work. Plus, you can't ask amazon about things and tips and tricks. 😁
Although, this forum has been great for that especially since its FT centric.
i feel the same way about hobbytown, about an hour away. the prices are a bit more, but the customer service is amazing.

Scary

Love hobby town only 1 left here in Milwaukee and surrounding area will do what I can to support them. started building ft kits early this spring have purchased 5 kits and power packs since

JennyC6

Elite member
Color me a bit confused when I saw this here....Simple Cub? It'd probably fly like a dream on an OS 15LA, 10FP, FS20 Surpass, Enya 09, prolly even a Cox Medallion 09. Give those a try!

My roomie has a Simple Cub on a B-pack motor and it lifts off the ground without effort at 1/3 throttle on just a 2s800. These things need barely any power at all to fly.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Color me a bit confused when I saw this here....Simple Cub? It'd probably fly like a dream on an OS 15LA, 10FP, FS20 Surpass, Enya 09, prolly even a Cox Medallion 09. Give those a try!

My roomie has a Simple Cub on a B-pack motor and it lifts off the ground without effort at 1/3 throttle on just a 2s800. These things need barely any power at all to fly.
Wow! It’s probably cause mine ended up being so heavy but mine really needs the c pack. Maybe it’s my flying style as well - I like hovering, which is a breeze on the c pack!

JennyC6

Elite member
Wow! It’s probably cause mine ended up being so heavy but mine really needs the c pack. Maybe it’s my flying style as well - I like hovering, which is a breeze on the c pack!
Ours was the speedbuild kit. Thing's so damn light we barely even fly it; the slightest breeze upsets it and you get quite a lot of those this time of year in TN. Very much a calm weather only plane. Could probably hover it if we put a 3s battery in it.

Does make me want to get another speedbuild kit and get this Medallion 09 RC I have sitting on my bench to run...heh heh, you'd probably have little trouble hovering a Simple Cub with something like an OS 10FSR on the nose~. I have one of those too but the crankcase is jacked up on it so it won't run. Tries, blows head gasket out first time it kicks.