C130 Cargo Hauler

xtraham

I've been looking for plans of a cargo hauler that looked like something more than a box with wings. No luck. So I decided to do something on my own. This is my first scratch build where I'm making the design and plans on my own. I found C130 drawings on the internet and started. This is prototype 1. After getting this far, there are a couple of changes I make when I build the next prototype. I was thinking of making this a twin engine rather than a 4 banger, just because I really don't want the expense of four engines, etc. I'm still undecided. It hasn't flown yet. Engine selection is next, and then I'll build the engine nacelles. Stay tuned; my work schedule is crazy, so I don't see anything flying until this summer. There's lots of area for electronics and batters, and loading the cargo bay with 10-12 paratroopers should be no problem. 48" wingspan, weight at this stage is about 12 ounces.

c130_1.jpg c130_2.jpg c130_3.jpg c130_4.jpg c130_5.jpg C130_6.jpg C130_7.jpg

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
If you run two motors instead of four, we will just call it a C-160 Transall. Then you just need a Luftwaffe paint scheme.

C-160.jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Nice work! I am planning to design a C130 at some point. I'm very interested to see how yours turns out.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
um . . . . guys, I'm not at all opposed to necro-posting, but despite the very cool second post, xtraham hasn't even been by here for over 2 years (April 2013).

I'm not sure he's even lurking enough to see the interest . . . still, I agree. Cool build. A shame it's vaporware :(

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Who knows, we might stir him into action. Or, hijack the thread all together and make it a living breathing monster, thriving on the awe, respect and admiration due the C-130.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Make the project live, and I'm behind you 100% Dr. Frankenstein . . . It's safer behind, when the monster leaps to life and the villagers arrive with pitchforks and torches ;)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Aaaaaaand, that seals Nerdnic's fate. Nice knowing 'ya.

. . . calling Flying Monkey "Nobody". That's funny ;)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
HA!

Didn't notice that. Fred's post is moderated . . . not sure why. Perhaps he's trying to hide motive?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
My shot at a C-130 would not look as pretty as the planes Nerdnic produces. Probably resemble the cargo twin so closely that no one would be able to tell what I was trying to model. But I do love the C-130. So, out of respect, I will leave it alone. Besides, do you know how big it would have to be to get 64 of those RC Parachutists in there!?