Calibrate ESC's to what?

lagreca

When you calibrate your ESC's, what exactly are you calibrating them to? I'm assuming it is too the flight controller they are connected to, for its mini and max output.

I ask because I wanted to know if I need to re-calibrate the ESC's if I put a new flight controller board in?

Thanks.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Lagreca,

With control boards, you really are calibrating to the board, even if the board declares it's in "pass through" mode. Most boards, however, generate fairly accurate pulsewidths, so if your doing a 1:1 swap you'll likely be fine. If you're changing between board models/brands, then you probably will need to recalibrate.

It's usaually not a difficult step, so proabably a good idea anyways.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
You calibrate the ESC's to have equal responses to the same throttle signal. You should not need to calibrate after changing FC if its the same firmware, brand, etc. If it's a different firmware or FC then recalibrate.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
When you calibrate your ESC's, what exactly are you calibrating them to? I'm assuming it is too the flight controller they are connected to, for its mini and max output.

I ask because I wanted to know if I need to re-calibrate the ESC's if I put a new flight controller board in?

Thanks.
Calibration is a personal choice. If your model is doing funky things, sometimes calibration can help. I usually calibrate mine directly from the Rx instead of the FC. They will all be the same calibration then and shouldn't need to change even with an FC swap. If you are getting strange happenings, motors starting unevenly when the model is level, etc., Go ahead and do another calibration. It's fast and easy and rules out throttle level as problem.