Calling all Northern NJ Flitetest Pilots

mactek

I have been flying my full size Radian almost every weekend this winter. It is easy to take to the field and it never gives me any issues. I love it. I have been itching to maiden my new bix 3 but i think i am going to wait for the weather to break first. Plus i have been building a ft mustang, rebuilding my diy vas Specter and several other diy dollar tree projects.

Flite of the kiwi

I have been flying my full size Radian almost every weekend this winter. It is easy to take to the field and it never gives me any issues. I love it.

Out of the three UMX planes i have the radian is by far my favorite; leading me to wonder what it's big brother would be like :) Now i have to get one...yet i told myself my next plane has gotta be an FT scratch build. Any suggestions on a good first build?

Flynn

Out of the three UMX planes i have the radian is by far my favorite; leading me to wonder what it's big brother would be like :) Now i have to get one...yet i told myself my next plane has gotta be an FT scratch build. Any suggestions on a good first build?

Ohh, good question. It would depend on your experience level. I never built any of the beginner 3 so I can't say how they are. Like a knucklehead, my first scratch built was the Baby Blender and the Versa Wing. I'd say for a good first build, I'd go with the Bloody Wonder, easy first build and good flyer if you're kinda a beginner. I you have experience with 4 channel flying, I would go with the spitfire of mustang. Spitfire is a great 4 channel that will just float in for a landing. You need to shim the motor at a down angle 1-2mm. If we get together and you haven't flown the spitfire I have an older one thats banged up, you can give that a try. Just remind me come spring.

egoldy

I'm in too

I'm in NJ - Morristown to be exact.

Flying quads - racing quad, Phantom 2, Hubsan 107D and others.

Looking for other racers and quad enthusiasts.

Flite of the kiwi

I am definitely a beginner, flying wise. The umx corsair I've got was a bit tricky for me since it was my first plane with ailerons. I ended crashing that; got it fixed just haven't flown it due to intimidation. Building things and being crafty is another story though... So I would probably be a knucklehead too since I wouldn't pick something simple myself. Any 3 ch with a bit of build difficulty wouldn't be bad. The bloody wonder does seem like a good start though. What do you think about the f-22. Is that good plane to learn bank and yank?

Last edited:

Flynn

I am definitely a beginner, flying wise. The umx corsair I've got was a bit tricky for me since it was my first plane with ailerons. I ended crashing that; got it fixed just haven't flown it due to intimidation. Building things and being crafty is another story though... So I would probably be a knucklehead too since I wouldn't pick something simple myself. Any 3 ch with a bit of build difficulty wouldn't be bad. The bloody wonder does seem like a good start though. What do you think about the f-22. Is that good plane to learn bank and yank?

I built 3 F-22's only tried to fly 2. I had no luck with it. I think looking back I didn't have enough motor. That would be a good starter though. I built my own version, moving the motor back about an inch, it's a real floater.

Flynn

I'm in NJ - Morristown to be exact.

Flying quads - racing quad, Phantom 2, Hubsan 107D and others.

Looking for other racers and quad enthusiasts.

Awesome man! I'll let everyone know the next time we plan on meeting up

Flite of the kiwi

I'm gonna have to order some hardware and electronics. Should I get the ones FT suggests for the f-22? You had said it needs more motor...should I build around that instead?

Flynn

I would go with what they recommend, I was using a 1400kv and i think they recommend 2200kv? Definitely go with the FT recommendations. I think the trouble I had was I took what setup I had in the profile F22 and put it in the FT 22. After a couple fails with that, I moved on to the FT Racer and Viggen. My friend Jeff had good luck with the FT-22, he used the recommended setup.

Flite of the kiwi

I would go with what they recommend, I was using a 1400kv and i think they recommend 2200kv? Definitely go with the FT recommendations. I think the trouble I had was I took what setup I had in the profile F22 and put it in the FT 22. After a couple fails with that, I moved on to the FT Racer and Viggen. My friend Jeff had good luck with the FT-22, he used the recommended setup.

Thanks for the info! I just wanted to be sure their way would be best before ordering everything. So what do you think about the viggen? They look awesome with those canards and big intakes!

degriz

I live in Middletown also, in the warmer weather I fly at the park in Montogmery on 17K. I usually fly on Sunday morning early before any baseball or soccer games.

Sometimes I fly smaller stuff at the ball field in my development or woodstock park in town of wallkill.

Flynn

Thanks for the info! I just wanted to be sure their way would be best before ordering everything. So what do you think about the viggen? They look awesome with those canards and big intakes!

Viggen is amazing. The build is one of the more advanced. Only because of the soldering and extending of the motor leads. but once that is done, it you crash, it's easy to rebuild. I smashed one into a light pole, drove one in at FliteFest and now I'm on #3. It's a hand full for beginners and needs a lot of room to fly, but once experienced with it, it slows down nicely. I wouldn't go with anything less the recommended motor/esc combo. I built the 70mm grayson combo. It's awesome.

Flite of the kiwi

Good to know! I know once I have more experience with the hobby I'm definitely building one. It would seem David W did a great job designing it; that crumple zone inspired nose section seems to have help you! Lol

mactek

Are you guys going to Flitefest this year. I see they have opened registration. If so are you going for the whole weekend or just a couple of days.

Dec

Hi everyone, I live just outside of Morristown and just got into this hobby over the summer. I currently fly a quadcopter and I have an FT-22 but I am not a great pilot so it hasn't been in the air for more than a minute.

Flynn

Are you guys going to Flitefest this year. I see they have opened registration. If so are you going for the whole weekend or just a couple of days.

Sorry Mac, I haven't been on the forums that much. Yeah man, we are planning on going the whole weekend. Like 4 days I think. We aren't sure if we are camping or hoteling.

Hi everyone, I live just outside of Morristown and just got into this hobby over the summer. I currently fly a quadcopter and I have an FT-22 but I am not a great pilot so it hasn't been in the air for more than a minute.

Welcome! You should come fly with us when the weather gets better. We are all still learning. I'll post and/or pm you when we plan on going.

Flynn

I live in Middletown also, in the warmer weather I fly at the park in Montogmery on 17K. I usually fly on Sunday morning early before any baseball or soccer games.

Sometimes I fly smaller stuff at the ball field in my development or woodstock park in town of wallkill.

Welcome! Nice! Are those A-10s in your avatar what you fly?

mactek

Sunday flying is pretty much shot for me this summer. I took on a 2nd job where I have to work every Sunday. If you guys fly on Saturday let me know I will be sure to join you. As for flitefest I am trying to go for at least one day. My parents and brother live about 20 mins from where Flitefest is being held so i will have to make it a dual visit.

Heavyhitter82

Hello everyone... Warwick NY here. I'm pretty new to flight but have a bunch of different electric planes ranging from micro t28 up to flyzone sensei. Also have a few quadcopters as well. I'm looking to meet up and learn from other fans of the hobby.

mactek

Does anybody have off this coming Monday 4/6 and want to do some flying. I was thinking of flying either at the RFL field in Boonton or the field off Greenpond Road in near Rockaway. Let me know. The weather as of now looks to be in the high 50's.