Calling all Payload Drop Experts!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Hi! I've got a question for people who are experts at payload release systems for a project of mine. I've got several ideas for this challenge, but they all require me to attach something to the payload, which I don't want to do.
IMG_4019.JPG

So: above is a space shuttle orbiter. I'm putting in RC components, but I'm not going to use the carrier aircraft you see here. I have had both aircraft crash into each other on unpowered glide tests. So I'm making this:
IMG_4895.JPG

So how in the world do I attach the shuttle to the center black pylon there? The wide wings present a challenge in normal rubber band tie downs, and I don't want to mount it inverted. As I stated, I have ideas, but I don't want to put a release hook into the top of the orbiter, making it not look like a shuttle anymore. This is where you come in! This is your challenge, if you are willing to accept it! my best solution is a couple of servos hold a pylon of foam board hot glued to the orbiter, but that takes away from the appearance. Thanks for your help!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Why not do what the foamies with a bomb drop do and use rare earth magnets.

You can embed the magnets in the top of the orbiter and have magnets in the pylon to attract the magnets in the orbiter. To release either move the magnets in the pylon further away so the weight of the orbiter is greater than the attractive forces OR reverse the polarity of the magnets in the pylon to repel the orbiter rather violently!

It works for drop tanks and bombs on commercial foamies!

Have fun!

Wildthing

Legendary member

You can embed the magnets in the top of the orbiter and have magnets in the pylon to attract the magnets in the orbiter. To release either move the magnets in the pylon further away so the weight of the orbiter is greater than the attractive forces OR reverse the polarity of the magnets in the pylon to repel the orbiter rather violently!

Have fun!
I like the idea of the magnets, got any links for examples?

Matthew Sanders

Elite member

Have fun!
That's an Idea that I never occurred to me. I have magnets, but I don't know if they are super strong. Ill try it out though on a test shuttle that I have. Thanks!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
1) Are you going to launch by hand or use landing gear?
2) Where or how are you going to put the shuttle underneath dealing with your vertical rudder? The center rear fuse is in the way?
1) I'm planning to hand launch the carrier aircraft, and belly land it. 2) I am probably not going to build an EXACT replica of White Night, but it would look close. I'll probably end up either cutting a relief or not even having a rear fuselage.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
New plan:
So it's been a while, and a lot has happened since last time I was here. My plans for this project changed a week ago when I decided to use a Simple Soarer as my drop aircraft instead of the white night. I also painted my test shuttle for my drop test video (coming to a Device near you soon) and also I'm preparing for my RC shuttle drop flights for that video later today. (OV-103 Discovery.) My favorite shuttle is Atlantis (it's a long story) but Discovery was the first shuttle not meant as a test vehicle (Enterprise was used for glide tests, Challanger was a wind tunnel test article before being converted to a all-up shuttle, and Columbia was used for orbital tests.) I know a lot more about space because I want to go there someday, but if any of you have any questions about manned space flight history, just ask and I might know. Anyway that's my update, and I'll put a link here when my videos go out.