Came across this article if any interest.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
And the main reason for the ban in Kenya? "Kenyan authorities fear drones could help the terrorist group more easily stage attacks here."

So. . .criminals will not use guns if they are banned. . . uh. . I mean drones. . .

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
It's what people always say: Terrorists have already won.

Dyzel

Sorry to bring such an old post back from the dead, but being from Kenya, I couldn't help myself!
The ban is ridiculous and baseless. Akin to banning all cars because someone, somewhere died in a wreck...

The local flying community is small, but growing steadily! Many different people are doing different things with various RPAS.
Most notably, a local company - Astral aviation has been lobbying and was recently approved to operate Flyox Unmaned aircraft in the region. The deal will also see Astral aviation constructing a commercial drone hub at Lokichar in Northern Kenya.

Just FYI for anyone who may be interested!

http://theloadstar.co.uk/astral-cargo-drone-management-system-scoops-iata-innovation-award/

thanks for taking the time to read:eek:

earthsciteach

That is so sad that the people of Kenya are losing the opportunity to benefit from income form companies testing and developing drones. Balu is right. Decisions based on fear are often decisions that are regretted.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Risk Management

Several recent posts have me remembering a planning tool we used in the Navy called ORM (Operational Risk Management).

The idea is that the mission, not safety, is the priority. This is not to say safety is not important, just not the most important. If safety were truely the most important we should just avoid all risk. Our hobby has inherent risks. What ORM does is evaluates risk probablility and severity and then looks what it would take to eliminate or minimize the risks. Having done this, decisions can be made waht will be done and the risk involved. It's a way of making informed decisions with eyes wide open.