Camera for aerial footage recording .

hello flite test family! how's it going?
I've been building ft planes for quite some time now and now feel the need to record my flights( aerial footage ). so right now I want a camera which I can use to record the footage and later on, if possible, use the same camera for fpv. is that even possible tho?
I'll be using AliExpress to order the camera. would love to get some recommendations from you guys, and yes go easy on my pocket. the cheaper the better. cheers!

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Hi Arslanwali, In case you haven't found your answer yet, yes is the answer to your question. The video transmitter (VTX) doesn't care what camera the signal comes from. The trick is to find a video output cable that works with your camera. I know GoPro, Xiaomi Yi and SJCAM will work with the right cable, but I'm not sure about others.

Another trick, you might have to go into the camera settings and enable the video output before it will work. I wouldn't recommend trying to fly with goggles unless you really understand how to control the auto-exposure. The best auto-exposure for flying probably is not the best settings for good photography/videography. Good luck!

Last edited:
thank you so much for replying! despite of asking this question on several forms I didn't get an answer.
what kind of camera should I look for on AliExpress. I've zero knowledge about these things. would be grateful if you could point me to the right direction.

thank you so much for replying! despite of asking this question on several forms I didn't get an answer.
what kind of camera should I look for on AliExpress. I've zero knowledge about these things. would be grateful if you could point me to the right direction.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
I have a Firefly Q6 camera, use it for FPV and recording. image quality is this:

1.png

Border Park, Nadda Farms and Simons.png

otherwise, it looks like only the last camera you linked would actually record video without a DVR.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ok, so...Here's the thing with FPV and recording footage:

The video transmitters and DVR systems for the video transmitters will show all sorts of cuts, static, poor signal, etc., as the little lightweight FPV cameras are not high quality. They're meant for being able to essentially see where you're flying, and aren't meant for high definition video (at least, not in the United States; there's limits on power and what you can actually broadcast - if you've got the necessary HAM radio license that's required for 95% of FPV flight, you'll see some of the power restrictions asked during your test).

So, with that in mind, most people who are doing flight and want a really good picture use a GoPro or GoPro knockoff, like a RunCam2 or Runcam3, Yi action camera, etc. These cameras will output at 720p, 1080p, and if you pay the price, 4K. These cameras are relatively light, and small enough to not interfere drastically with aerodynamics. They're also separately powered from your FPV or flight batteries, so it doesn't drain you down quickly. That said, they DO weigh more for the better optics, separate battery, storage, and housing for all of that, so there are trade offs.

The only camera that I've seen that does FPV AND DVR recording so far, all in the same camera, is the RunCam Split, which, from what I've seen, is pretty darned good. It's not perfect, as it does have a bit more latency than most of the other FPV cameras on the market, but if you're flying fixed wing or gliders, it's so negligible as to be nonexistent.