Camera mounting

phatgames

I just recently ordered a blade vusion v2 250 as a starter into fpv drones and was wondering if there was a good way to mount a camera for footage on it, the motors are not the most strong and I am looking for a good option to mount a camera to it. ( I am aware that the fpv camera includes does do dvr)
Thanks

FDS

Elite member
You won’t be able to mount a larger camera to a chassis that size. I am assuming you got the Horizon Hobby Blade Vusion 250?
No idea what the internals are like on that, if they use removable components you can switch the FPV camera for one like a Runcam Split that shoots 1080HD and is an FPV camera.
The other option is a simple micro camera like the 808 Keychain type and just attach it to the upper drone body with a soft mount, a foam wedge and silicone lined strap would work.
That drone isn’t powerful enough to lift much above that size.

phatgames

Ok, and yes that’s the drone I got(it’s the v2) . So do you think that I could maybe upgrade the motors (sorry I’m really new to this) the only action cam I have is a GoPro hero 7 and I was hoping that that the camera I could use because i don’t want to spend more money then I have to.

FDS

Elite member
I very much doubt that drone will fly a GoPro. If you upgrade the motors you will destroy the ESC’s or drain the battery much faster. Adding camera weight will also mess with the CG, battery life and flight characteristics.
Pre built packages like that are not designed to be rebuilt. It’s not a freestyle/racing quad that you can upgrade. You should have built a 5” if you want to fly a GoPro easily.
I have been flying FPV for 8 months, I only just started flying a GoPro, it was a $100 used session, I wouldn’t fly a Hero7 yet, I couldn’t afford the crash!
If you are learning I would advise flying something much lighter and cheaper. You are not going to need 4K video and superview whilst you learn, 1080 will be more than enough. Film in 4:3 and use stretching software to emulate superview without risking an over heavy quad crash and loss of a $400+ camera. Losing or smashing a $25 808 is much cheaper. Wrap it in orange tape to help find it when it falls off.

phatgames

Oh ok, that makes sense. I will probably practice with this for a while and then maybe build my own drone capable of holding camera. I will just use the built in dvr on the drone for now.
Thanks for the help

FDS

Elite member
Building your own is not a huge learning curve if you keep a step or so back from the bleeding edge and use a proven set of components.