Solved Camera Question

Winston1203

So, I've kinda wanted to mount a camera on my Simple scout for a while now and I was wondering whether My simple scout, flying on a power pack B 850mah 3s will be able to carry the weight of a GoPro hero 4 session or the polaroid cube. And If so where do I mount the camera.

FDS

Elite member
I would use something light. The smaller the better. It would lift a GoPro but it will fly worse with it on, they are pretty heavy. I use a little SQ12 cube camera.
You can mount them below the belly with a slight downward angle if you have wheels, or in the cockpit. Be aware the balance will be affected a little. You may want a bigger battery to compensate.
Elastic bands will be handy for mounting on the top of the fuselage.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So, I've kinda wanted to mount a camera on my Simple scout for a while now and I was wondering whether My simple scout, flying on a power pack B 850mah 3s will be able to carry the weight of a GoPro hero 4 session or the polaroid cube. And If so where do I mount the camera.
Yes - the session is a small enough camera that the scout won't have any issuie flying it. Try mounting it as close to the CG as you can. The opening in the cockpit would be a good place.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Can you use the SQ12 to record flights from the ground i.e. hat cam?

yes its standard 1080p recording. It even comes with a tiny universal clip you can clip to your cap, radio strap, shirt. The only draw back to it is sometimes the sound desyncs with the video and you get kung fu theater syndrome when people speak hehe.

MacandRita

This is good to know. I just ordered an SQ11 for the purpose of ground and inflight recording. I will progress to FPV eventually but just want to share the experience with family and friends for now. Managed to find one on fleabay for just a little more than wish as I didn't want to wait 2 months for delivery. Should be here by next Friday. Thanks for the mounting suggestions.
Cheers, Mac

slowjo

Master member
after using my sq12 for several months, deleting vids as I downloaded them, last week it said i had to format it before it could be read? meaning the videos on it would be deleted! reluctantly I formatted it, lost the vids, and recorded 1 more flite, bout 3min long, I veiwed it but didnt download it yet, next day videoed another flight and again wont display til I format it, and erase the videos??? anyone know what I am doing wrong or any suggestions:unsure:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
after using my sq12 for several months, deleting vids as I downloaded them, last week it said i had to format it before it could be read? meaning the videos on it would be deleted! reluctantly I formatted it, lost the vids, and recorded 1 more flite, bout 3min long, I veiwed it but didnt download it yet, next day videoed another flight and again wont display til I format it, and erase the videos??? anyone know what I am doing wrong or any suggestions:unsure:

I have had that happen on other cameras and goggles. I think what is going on is since the data keeps getting written to the same areas and erased it sort of "wears out" or loses the edges for the FAT table. I found formatting the card in the computer to default then reformatting in the camera seems to make it happy again for a while.

slowjo

Master member
I have had that happen on other cameras and goggles. I think what is going on is since the data keeps getting written to the same areas and erased it sort of "wears out" or loses the edges for the FAT table. I found formatting the card in the computer to default then reformatting in the camera seems to make it happy again for a while.
thanx, im fighting technology to my grave o_O

slowjo

Master member
thanx, im fighting technology to my grave o_O
giving it a try, I just formatted it in the card reader, now Im formatting it in the sq12, it sucks cause last night was a beautiful sunset so i took up my Conscendo with the camera and flew over the west Michigan country side, and its gone :cautious:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I lost an early morning Flite Fest flight where I did a major punch out over the field just as sun was pushing thru morning storm clouds Then did an inverted free fall on the way back down with light rays and colors that were insanely vivid for a sun rise. Got back home and non of the footage on the card was retrievable.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I lost an early morning Flite Fest flight where I did a major punch out over the field just as sun was pushing thru morning storm clouds Then did an inverted free fall on the way back down with light rays and colors that were insanely vivid for a sun rise. Got back home and non of the footage on the card was retrievable.
that sucks, sounds like it would been some good video.

slowjo

Master member
:cautious: