Can a computer display be modded to run on a 3S LiPO?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
So for my eventual groundstation I need a screen. Goggles are too expensive for me, and I can't share them with my friends while I fly.

So can I mod a standard LCD computer monitor to run on 12V as in a 3 cell LiPo? I have seen LG monitors having external power supplies, but I guess most monitors should be moddable - as in removing a power transformer inside it and wiring it directly to an XT60.

Thoughts?

Bbjen

It should be possible, you need to open it and look at the power supply inside. You should be able to get the output after the transformer diodes...

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Make sure it is LED backlit. If not the fluorescent lighting is a power hog.
Also lookout for models that blank the screen if signal is below a certain threshold or lost.
They can take precious moments to reestablish a visual when signal is reacquired.

Thurmond

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
10.1 inch 12 volt.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-1-TFT-LC...8370?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item5aec0949f2

(Sorry, it won't let me insert a hyperlink for some reason.)

My big concern with using a computer monitor will be the soldering. I have techs that bitch constantly about the ribbon connectors. I imagine that soldering leads to them will be worse than using your fingers to plug them into boards.

I see. So what about displays with an already external power supply? They have one of those round DC 12V jacks... Usually LG brand...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
And for that price tag I could buy a 110V Generator and a 4 LCD screen array :D Just kidding :D

UndCon

UndCon
I have a small 7" display and it is connected to the same power-source as the rest of my groundstation - a 3S 5000 that lasts long time

//UndCon

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I have a small 7" display and it is connected to the same power-source as the rest of my groundstation - a 3S 5000 that lasts long time

//UndCon

How much did you pay for it? Was it originally 12V or did you mod it?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
This is a much better option than what I offered.

Indeed, yet really expensive, not including shipping. I'll look around town and see if I find something useful. I have saved up 2 Benjamins which I am planning to spend on a quadcopter for FPV. I'll see what I find out.

Thanks anyway for your replies! More input is still welcome, though I won't spend more than $100 on the screen...

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
there are some inexpensive LCD screens on Dealextreme with freeshipping !!! 45 dollars for 7" and 75 dollars for 10"

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
$200 for the entire quad and FPV setup?

Unfortunately no. $200 will barely be enough for the quad itself! The FPV system I would prefer to buy is all but screen and battery for a shocking $230. But it's good gear from a good seller.

Aerial Video System [AVS-1300-800-KX6] : RangeVideo!, Wireless video solutions.

there are some inexpensive LCD screens on Dealextreme with freeshipping !!! 45 dollars for 7" and 75 dollars for 10"

I'm most likely going to buy this:

7" TFT LCD Color Car Rearview Headrest Monitor DVD VCR | eBay

as I just got doubts about a VGA monitor accepting RCA (cheaply).

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
VGA monitors need a RCA converter and they are not that cheap !! usually stores that sells PS3 and XBOX have them !