Can a Simple Cub water skim? I find out...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i think i have been watching to many "flying cowboy" videos on youtube. (if you have't watched Mike Patey's build of "Draco" you are missing out.)

anyways, during a lot of these videos you see these cowboys doing water skims with their big tundra tires. basically water skiing their bushplane down a river, across a lake, or coming in for landing.

i have seen this done before and had always wondered if you could do the same thing with an RC plane? i guess watching these vids has sparked my interest again.

well, here in Tucson, AZ we don't have a lot of "standing" water, EVER. :LOL: so the chance to try, let alone practice just isn't typically possible unless you wanted to travel. thankfully, what we do get by mid-july every year is monsoon rains. these are the kind of rain storms were the sky opens and just dumps water, then moves on, lot's of flash floods, lot's of lighting, but typically pretty quick.

well, we had a couple monster storms back to back which provided me with a little puddle on the northern approach for our clubs runway. it was tight up against the rough, but as we like to say, "a good pilot can handle that."

i had been joking about trying it and now had everyones attention and encouragement.

so i grabbed my 4-channel, flapperon set-up, b-pack, Simple Cubby, spinin' 2.75" wheels. ;)

i lined up my 1st approach and things looked really good. i came in and missed the puddle by just inches. now everyone was watching and Phil had his phone out and ready for the 2nd approach.

i will let the video speak for it's self. you can make your own judgement if you want to try. :cool::ROFLMAO:

laters,

me :cool:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
don't worry guys. :eek:

no Cubby's were harmed in the making of this film. it flew 2 more times that day, i even tried again but winds had increased and i was never able to come in clean enough again.

i think maybe with bigger wheels, and a lot more throttle on touch down... :devilish:

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

we will see.

laters,

flyboy330

You need brakes for it to work. Full scale bush planes appy brakes when they skim the water. Without brakes, the wheels will roll and the water will suck them down. Nice try though, that was a fun video to watch :)

johnreto

Was a nice try 👍 and fun to watch 😀 looked good at the beginning...
Better luck next time 🤘

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
regrettably the puddle was gone today and had been replaced by a million annoying flies. :cautious:

make sense on the brakes and keeping them from sucking into the water. not sure how i'm gonna get brakes on my cubby but...i think next time i will just add power, which i did not do last time and hope i can power out.

either way, it was fun and got a few laughs.

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i have some monster wheels for my bushwacker i want to try. i think with a really shallow approach, then power and a little up elevator it might work. your not gonna "run the river" length, but i think you can get a puddle.

or maybe a separate servo working off a switch, that uses control wire to work like a brake? hum, gonna have to think on that for a bit. :unsure:

laters,

earthsciteach

I love this!!! You almost had it, man! Makes me want to put giant foam (closed cell, duh) tires on something and head to the lake!

flyboy330

VideoCapture_20180616-173714.jpg
20180515_093446.jpg
20180609_132526.jpg

CheckMySix

i think i have been watching to many "flying cowboy" videos on youtube. (if you have't watched Mike Patey's build of "Draco" you are missing out.)

anyways, during a lot of these videos you see these cowboys doing water skims with their big tundra tires. basically water skiing their bushplane down a river, across a lake, or coming in for landing.

i have seen this done before and had always wondered if you could do the same thing with an RC plane? i guess watching these vids has sparked my interest again.

well, here in Tucson, AZ we don't have a lot of "standing" water, EVER. :LOL: so the chance to try, let alone practice just isn't typically possible unless you wanted to travel. thankfully, what we do get by mid-july every year is monsoon rains. these are the kind of rain storms were the sky opens and just dumps water, then moves on, lot's of flash floods, lot's of lighting, but typically pretty quick.

well, we had a couple monster storms back to back which provided me with a little puddle on the northern approach for our clubs runway. it was tight up against the rough, but as we like to say, "a good pilot can handle that."

i had been joking about trying it and now had everyones attention and encouragement.

so i grabbed my 4-channel, flapperon set-up, b-pack, Simple Cubby, spinin' 2.75" wheels. ;)

i lined up my 1st approach and things looked really good. i came in and missed the puddle by just inches. now everyone was watching and Phil had his phone out and ready for the 2nd approach.

i will let the video speak for it's self. you can make your own judgement if you want to try. :cool::ROFLMAO:

laters,

The Draco is dead! Mike Patey crashed it in takeoff in September. No one injured thankfully but the Wilga is totaled. Heartbreaking!

CheckMySix

that yellow plane makes me jealous. i saw a 84" bushmaster at the AZ electric fest this last year that could do anything you asked it to do, plus more. been itching ever since.

laters,

Damn...where was the Az electric fest? I live in Phoenix and would check that out!

Tench745

Master member
I missed this thread when it was new. You don't need water to practice water-skiing a plane. Water is nice because it's perfectly flat, perfectly smooth, and looks neat, but you can practice with a smooth-ish runway. Fly down until the wheels just kiss the ground and keep it flying with the wheels just kissing the ground. It's also good practice for improving your wheel landings and touch-and-goes.