Can anyone find those 10$ Walmart Gliders these days?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I found my hawkeye replacement!!!

This thing is sweet!
0530192204.jpg

It does come with a little Chinese ingenuity...

0530192248.jpg

But, over all, its a 150% hawkeye at 34" it will make an awesome Fpv project... I'm ordering more asap!

0530192248a.jpg

quorneng

Master member
With a bit of care the Lidl glider most certainly does RC .
Complete1.JPG

Not a quick conversion, the trailing edges are extended to give a 'proper' aerofoil section.
Bank and yank (no rudder) and at Just 50 g heavier than the basic chuck glider no reinforcement is necessary. With 18% more wing area it is a docile flyer and It thermals nicely too!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
... at Just 50 g heavier than the basic chuck glider...

Looks very clean! Nice!

Do you recall what it weighed to start?

Ive made no real attempt at keeping this one light (twin motor, 4 channel, and fpv camera) and I'm at 235-265 depending on battery selection. Only reinforcement ive done is "surface spars" with strips of packing tape. Ive had good luck with this method, adds a lot of rigidity for very little weight...

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Couldn't tell in the video... Looks like you had done some work to the rudder so I wasn't sure. I fly mine 4 channel but with a flip of a switch the same plane flies great with only Ailerons and Elevator. Especially with th fpv

quorneng

Master member
Hondo76251
Its "rudder" is simply the extension added to the fin to eliminate its thick trailing edge the same as was done for the tail plane to create the elevator and the wing for the ailerons.

As the ailerons only extend over the outer wing panels I did think of using the inner part as flaps but decided that would be a bit over the top for what is really only a light weight toy plane! ;)

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Hondo76251
Its "rudder" is simply the extension added to the fin to eliminate its thick trailing edge the same as was done for the tail plane to create the elevator and the wing for the ailerons.

As the ailerons only extend over the outer wing panels I did think of using the inner part as flaps but decided that would be a bit over the top for what is really only a light weight toy plane! ;)
Ahh... gotcha. I'm already working on my next one. I like the way the twin engine layout worked but I think I'm going to add more aileron at the tips similar to yours... might even go ahead and make flaps, over the top or not! :ROFLMAO:
You like the way yours works with the increased wing area?

quorneng

Master member
The increase in wing area was really just a side effect of creating a fine trailing edge which hopefully should improve the wing's lift to drag ratio.
It certainly now has good glide with a low sink rate and is quite capable of making use of even weak thermals.
Next step is to use a folding prop to get maximum benefit from its glide performance.;)

Hello. New member here wanted to report finding these at dollar tree near Houston. Wings have pretty sharp angles could have potential after a little reshaping but it feels beefier than the 5 dollar model from Michael's. Cheers

Attachments

• 20190625_101141.jpg
    20190625_101141.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

quorneng

Master member
Hondo
I think you will find the amazon gliders are from the same mould as the Lidl ones. I believe Lidl sell them as a "leader" at a much reduced profit margin.