Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
No coordinated effort my friends, I personally take great offense to what he did, and nobody should be put in a postition where you have to "politely refuse" to give someone anything just because they asked, especially strangers. And yet still no word from Matthew :unsure:. @Taildragger , the category is "Charities and Funds" under the shameless self promotion section. I may be wrong but pretty sure it wasn't intended for anything like that. Browse through the other threads and find something even remotely close, kind of takes away from people who really need as opposed to those who just want. And according to @Bo123 we should expect that we are going to get hit up for money now and then just because thats the way it is because the rest of us are sitting on piles of cash. Bullying? Come on guys, wake up. @Scotto summed it up pretty good. Nuff said. No harm intended, much offense taken.

Scotto

Elite member
I wouldnt call this panhandling because panhandlers would tell you they need your money to feed their family but if you bought them a loaf of bread and jars of peanut butter and jelly they would leave it in the trash. At least Matthew isnt lying about what he wants.

Also the guy that yells "Get a job" isnt the bully. The panhandler is the one stealing money from people under false pretenses and delegitimizing actual homeless and needy people. Panhandlers are bullies.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I wouldnt call this panhandling because panhandlers would tell you they need your money to feed their family but if you bought them a loaf of bread and jars of peanut butter and jelly they would leave it in the trash. At least Matthew isnt lying about what he wants.

Also the guy that yells "Get a job" isnt the bully. The panhandler is the one stealing money from people under false pretenses and delegitimizing actual homeless and needy people. Panhandlers are bullies.

I generally ignore roadside panhandlers but I did give one guy a buck. His sign said "I won't lie, I just want a beer!"

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I generally ignore roadside panhandlers but I did give one guy a buck. His sign said "I won't lie, I just want a beer!"
Same lol. I figure I'd pay to see a singer, dancer, or comedian. If a guys got a sign that makes me laugh its worth a couple bucks!

SSgt Duramax

I havent checked in for a while. This got fun. Ashame I missed it.

A couple of notes, I post the same random stuff in here as I do everywhere. Nothing personal, just what i do.

Second, I actually want him to get the plane. Now I remember when I was 16 my parents would have gone and told me to go earn it myself, and scolded me for asking random strangers online for money for a toy I don't need. However, once he gets this plane, they are different animals. Having it will be a good learning experience in and of itself.

Next, he posted this in the charity section. Where fundraisers for disabled veterans, cancer, and other worthwhile causes go. He is welcome to do such, and hell, if he posts a go fund me, I may actually kick in a couple of bucks, but I'll make him earn it in my own special way.

Then, there is an issue of subjective nature. Some of the way he communicates on this forum can come across as arrogant and entitled, which forms an interesting conundrum when you then ask for money for a plane that requires tons more maintenance and care than your average bear. Now I dont know what his skills or knowledge level is, but it could strike one as ironic.

Finally, he just drops in, asks for money, then doesn't really expound a whole lot, give maybe a picture or something, or even a good way to donate. Add all of what i said up then the internet takes its course. I havent seen anyone go savage on him, just some ribbing that is all. Many other sites you would get e-thugged off and the mods would be sitting back laughing the whole time. Thankfully we arent like that, and I know the Karens have already reported, so I would bet the admins are aware, but please, report away.

Here's how this works.

You guys may not know this but I enjoy another hobby besides RC planes. I collect exotic and classic cars. I don't yet have a roofed warehouse to house my collection, or a mechanic/stable manager to keep all the cars in perfect working condition and ready for a drive, and I don't yet have the actual cars, but just believe me I'm really good at this hobby.

I want to thank the OP here. This thread has inspired me to go onto the exotic car forums and ask for money to get my first car. And a secure warehouse. And the best personal live-in mechanic. If I can find Jay Leno on the forums I'll ask him. Or an Arab sheik.

You tell me "It's ok because you need to remember that some people are in a different financial situation than Mr. Leno, and no matter what, people will sometimes have to ask for money from him."

You say "Yeah but that's different!" Explain to me how it's different. I have good food and clean water and a warm bed to sleep in.
"Yeah but he has bucketloads of money! It's not fair that he has that and I don't. He needs to share!" No. He earned every dollar he has. I earned every dollar I have. It's an equal playing field.

To decide that he has some to spare and should share it with me because I like toys too is a warped, twisted, convoluted, underdeveloped view of reality and Truth and how the world works. If I ask him for money for my car collection I'll be ridiculed, laughed at as a clown, tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail. To try to justify my request as legitimate is a shameful display of just how underdeveloped I really am.

Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

Here's how this works.

You guys may not know this but I enjoy another hobby besides RC planes. I collect exotic and classic cars. I don't yet have a roofed warehouse to house my collection, or a mechanic/stable manager to keep all the cars in perfect working condition and ready for a drive, and I don't yet have the actual cars, but just believe me I'm really good at this hobby.

I want to thank the OP here. This thread has inspired me to go onto the exotic car forums and ask for money to get my first car. And a secure warehouse. And the best personal live-in mechanic. If I can find Jay Leno on the forums I'll ask him. Or an Arab sheik.

It's ok because you need to remember that some people are in a different financial situation than Mr. Leno, and no matter what people will sometimes have to ask for money from him.

You say "Yeah but that's different!" Explain to me how it's different. I have good food and clean water and a warm bed to sleep in.
"Yeah but he has bucketloads of money! It's not fair that he has that and I don't. He needs to share!" No. He earned every dollar he has. I earned every dollar I have. It's an equal playing field.

To decide that he has some to spare and should share it with me because I like toys too is a warped, twisted, convoluted, underdeveloped view of reality and Truth and how the world works. If I ask him for money for my car collection I'll be ridiculed, laughed at as a clown, tarred and feathered and driven out of town on a rail. To try to justify my request as legitimate is a shameful display of just how underdeveloped I really am.

There are ways you can raise capital from other hobbyists to support your development/habit. Of course, you need a certain amount of charisma. I can share with you a couple of stories.

The second 3D plane I printed, called the GASB one... it has a pretty big following. This guy spent hours designing, testing, and printing (material and money) so that we could have an easy to print PLA wing that is pretty cheap. I used $5 of PLA printing it, that is pretty close to foam board price points. Anyways, he has a "buy me a coffee" option and if you buy him a coffee, you get some well written build instructions, and if you want him to, he can make customized winglets with your initials in it. Kind of neat. While I cared little about the winglets, I thought instructions might be nice (not that I couldn't have figured it out myself, it was like 7 pieces) and I appreciated the fact that he had put all of that work into something and put it out for free, so I gave him the $3 for coffee or whatever.

I also printed a spool holder for my 3D printer, and after figuring out it wasn't a piece of crap, I donated the guy $1.00 over paypal because I liked it, and he obviously took time to design it and ensure it works.

Now both of these people had something in common, they seemed like nice, congenial folks that really just did it for the hobby, probably didn't care a whole lot about the money, and I am relatively certain that my money will be put to good use.

Infact I am far more certain that they will put the money to better use than the criminals running Bexar County will who had the nerve to assess my house $80,000 more than it was last year, and are holding their hand out for money in the form of a bond "for the schools" after having received a boatload of "covid support" money from the federal government and having their buildings shuttered for the better part of two years.

They also had a following and a good online personality which they worked for. They never once came across as needy or entitled, just in general "if you want to support my habit, and maybe I'll make more cool stuff for you to use, I won't say no to that." Kind of like if someone wanted to drop a couple of pieces of foamboard by my house, or a spare motor, or something like that to thank me for a design I made. Gee, thanks, I'll go make something else cool. If Jack had a way to donate to 13th squadron, I would probably donate to him to. I really enjoy the F6F. I tried to give back by making a build thread for it.

Beta testing is another way to acquire goods for little to no money. I beta tested an intercooler for my car. The guys were pretty new on the block, looked at the documented progress on my car, liked my personality, and I had been in contact with them for a while and previously bought another product from them. Out of the blue they told me they would send me a $500 intercooler for my car if I installed it, documented the process, and gave an honest review and feedback to improve it. Mind you, my youtube channel is crap, and I never post on facebook, this was all based on my activity on the forum.

So there are ways to get stuff. People will just mail you stuff if they like you. Heck, I will. If I saw someone had built something really cool, but they were struggling gathering the electronics or something and they were stateside, I would undoubtedly send them whatever extra I have. But if some new person were to log on and say "I want to get started with the hobby, and you say you want more people in the hobby, so give me free stuff" I wouldn't.

All that to say there is a difference between saying

I need $1,000 for a new model

and

What could I do to get $1000 for a new model, here is the situation, this is the model, and I would like it because....

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
There are ways you can raise capital from other hobbyists to support your development/habit. Of course, you need a certain amount of charisma. I can share with you a couple of stories.

The second 3D plane I printed, called the GASB one... it has a pretty big following. This guy spent hours designing, testing, and printing (material and money) so that we could have an easy to print PLA wing that is pretty cheap. I used $5 of PLA printing it, that is pretty close to foam board price points. Anyways, he has a "buy me a coffee" option and if you buy him a coffee, you get some well written build instructions, and if you want him to, he can make customized winglets with your initials in it. Kind of neat. While I cared little about the winglets, I thought instructions might be nice (not that I couldn't have figured it out myself, it was like 7 pieces) and I appreciated the fact that he had put all of that work into something and put it out for free, so I gave him the $3 for coffee or whatever.

I also printed a spool holder for my 3D printer, and after figuring out it wasn't a piece of crap, I donated the guy $1.00 over paypal because I liked it, and he obviously took time to design it and ensure it works.

Now both of these people had something in common, they seemed like nice, congenial folks that really just did it for the hobby, probably didn't care a whole lot about the money, and I am relatively certain that my money will be put to good use.

Infact I am far more certain that they will put the money to better use than the criminals running Bexar County will who had the nerve to assess my house $80,000 more than it was last year, and are holding their hand out for money in the form of a bond "for the schools" after having received a boatload of "covid support" money from the federal government and having their buildings shuttered for the better part of two years.

They also had a following and a good online personality which they worked for. They never once came across as needy or entitled, just in general "if you want to support my habit, and maybe I'll make more cool stuff for you to use, I won't say no to that." Kind of like if someone wanted to drop a couple of pieces of foamboard by my house, or a spare motor, or something like that to thank me for a design I made. Gee, thanks, I'll go make something else cool. If Jack had a way to donate to 13th squadron, I would probably donate to him to. I really enjoy the F6F. I tried to give back by making a build thread for it.

Beta testing is another way to acquire goods for little to no money. I beta tested an intercooler for my car. The guys were pretty new on the block, looked at the documented progress on my car, liked my personality, and I had been in contact with them for a while and previously bought another product from them. Out of the blue they told me they would send me a $500 intercooler for my car if I installed it, documented the process, and gave an honest review and feedback to improve it. Mind you, my youtube channel is crap, and I never post on facebook, this was all based on my activity on the forum.

So there are ways to get stuff. People will just mail you stuff if they like you. Heck, I will. If I saw someone had built something really cool, but they were struggling gathering the electronics or something and they were stateside, I would undoubtedly send them whatever extra I have. But if some new person were to log on and say "I want to get started with the hobby, and you say you want more people in the hobby, so give me free stuff" I wouldn't.

and
Very well said.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member

and
Well put, Its funny but I don't think Matthew and the minions will ever get that, their silence speaks volumes

and
Excellent. A person's strength of character can go so far.

And if you want to tell me "yeah well some people are stuck in a turbulent, unstable 3rd world country where good work is almost impossible to find," go tell that to my favorite African-American (who happens to be the richest man in the world.)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
@Matthewdupreez , is there anything you would like to say? You feeling blue? @Bo123 you had the kahunas to call a few of us out by name, Bullies is the word you used , what's the matter, cat got your tongue? Happened to notice the same kind of stuff going on over at RCGroups too, hmmmm. Now would be a good time to rebuke everything before you or maybe kinda redeem yourself and at least save whatever respect I have for either of you as fellow hobbyist. Integrity, look that word up.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Now I think we better call Admin on the whole situation because I am not comfortable with this at all, this has to be dealt with because now he is involving the FT brand and I am not even sure that they are aware of it

Now I think we better call Admin on the whole situation because I am not comfortable with this at all, this has to be dealt with because now he is involving the FT brand and I am not even sure that they are aware of it
I don't see mention of FT on that fundraiser site.

Hey @Matthewdupreez maybe we can join forces. With my sparkling personality and dashing good looks, and your natural gift for attracting wealth like a magnet, we could make the perfect team.

Status
Not open for further replies.