Can anything be done with broken props besides throwing them in the bin?

Wildthing

Legendary member
If they are just chipped on one end I will trim the other end down, balance it and use it again, less thrust but still going. If it isn't enough thrust I move it onto a smaller plane. . Chipped or cracked in the middle of the blade just throw it away, ticking time bomb, if the blade breaks off at wot throttle someone or you could get hurt.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I toss mine in the bin. I suppose you could make a clock with them or maybe a whirly lawn decoration.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Clip the bldes of the hubs and use then as esc protectors.

Dull the sharp edges and use them to work foam when building planes.

Hot glue them to pencils, dowels or bbq skewers and pass out to kids to fly around.

Make weather vanes at ypur flying sites to tell wind direction and guess speed.

Mess around bending them at different dihedrals and use them as boomerangs.

Make mini horse shoe pits and toss them in a game like cornhole see who can land in the pit or even into slaller rings for points.

Play propeller golf.

mayan

Legendary member
Wow so many good ideas here!

I've used broken blades to mix epoxy.
Like wise :).

Chipped or cracked in the middle of the blade just throw it away, ticking time bomb, if the blade breaks off at wot throttle someone or you could get hurt.
Can make the entire motor fly right off b/c of the vibrations that it will create, very dangerous. Happened to me once when I was throttling up for a hand launch and nearly hurt myself.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
If the prop was broken by the middle, and the blades are intact, they can be used to make foldable props. Not sure at all, it is just an idea. never tested before. ;)

Lots of good ideas here, Iv'e already broken two on my first flights on my Scout, I will for sure be keeping them from now on! I would be cool for some kind of recycling to be available for them though.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Lots of good ideas here, Iv'e already broken two on my first flights on my Scout, I will for sure be keeping them from now on! I would be cool for some kind of recycling to be available for them though.
The engineers tell me that a signal blade prop is actually more efficient than a double blade prop. Now if I could just figure out how to balance it.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
The engineers tell me that a signal blade prop is actually more efficient than a double blade prop. Now if I could just figure out how to balance it.
The stub where the broken blade used to be can be carved into a short rod where collars (weights) can be placed. There are a few videos out there of people who have done this. And yes, single bladed propeller are more efficient, the more blades you add the more inefficient a propeller becomes.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
This is the idea that comes to mind
I'll try to explain, excuse the English. Hope that the diagram helps to understand better.

Single Blade Prop.png

The idea is to drill a small hole where was the blade that broke. It should be in line with the remaining blade.

Fix a long screw in this hole and screw in it some nuts as a counterweight. Adding more nuts and/or moving the nuts in or out of the center would balance the propeller.
Once the final adjustment is achieved, the screw would be threaded and finally glued to the propeller and the nuts would be fixed by pressing them against each other. Or it would be fixed with glue in case it is a single nut.

I have never tried it, but it should work theoretically. And the balancing process does not seem to be very difficult.

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Warning
The remaining blade should be checked carefully for small cracks in the root. If this is the case, it is best to discard it. A cracked propeller at high rpm can be a lethal weapon. :eek:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @cdfigueredo warning post, I'm going to keep throwing my broken props in the bin.
The counter weight ideas could work. I'd hate to be near one WHEN the counter weight comes off. Could be a bit like a bullet, who knows what or who it could hit.

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Put that way, it sounds dangerous. :LOL:
But if the screw is screwed properly into the propeller and glued using some strong glue, it should not come off. ;)

Keno

Single blade props where used in in control line speed events.
Here is what can happen; a new flyer came our field and we help him fly for the first time, he returned a week later for more help. His trainer look fine and helped him start his glow engine it came up to speed and a prop blade disappeared, never did find it. What went wrong inspection revealed that he had very carefully CA'ed the blade back to its hub.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The counter weight coming off is not a risk worth taking, something really bad could happen. I would not wany any part of that, not for a $5 prop.